• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A very sad day for our Skagit.....

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Our beloved lil BU-50 took a 36-38" pine into the drumset & engine today. Preliminary assessment shows two broken air rams, compressor, possible engine block, radiator, broken haulback shaft & friction cams, broken mainline shaft, numerous smashed manifolds, valves and tinwork and a possible twisted drum frame (cast steel).

It is insured but I do not know how that works and if they will repair it up to the insured amount or replace it for up to the insured amount?

Anyone have to go thru this before?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Sorry to hear of the loss and certainly hope no one was hurt. Did a stump pull or a log come down off the hill above?

The insurance company can do it a couple of different ways depending on the type of insurance you have. The insurer has three options, repair it by having shops provide bids and getting it done, replace it with like kind and quality or offer you a cash settlement and total it out. If they total it out they will find someone to provide a salvage value and usually offer you the chance to buy it back and you can do anything you want with it. Most insurance companies I've dealt with don't want to pay someone to retrieve the salvage and dispose of it so they are kind of liberal on selling it back to the owner.

Most of the big losses like this that I've been involved in, the insurance company totals the machine out, pays you the insured value and then offers you the salvage. Even at that it is always a stressful process to go through.

Good Luck!

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Thanks John.
A 35-36" pine came down from shovel logging above. No injuries except for the poor lil yarder.
I have a feeling it will be 60-70k at the minimum.

Last edited:

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Depends on what the repair estimate comes to.
It gets moved to the shop monday or tuesday.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
It is hard enough to make it in that line of work these days. I hate it for you.

Persevere.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Bill Paulson and I went & looked at it today. He figures it's salvageable so now we move forward.
He is the smartest guy I know with yarders.

Vigilant

Occupation
Where abouts were you at? I lived in the North River area for awhile years back.

Bet you have been to the Brooklyn Tavern too, eh? In case you have not heard, Ray Damitio has passed, and his widow sold the tavern to Ray's grandson. From what I hear, It is a whole different crown of patrons now. Probably very few knock down drag out fights any more, if any. They resurfaced the floor, and entirely COVERED Snoose Creek. Blasphemy!

Vigilant

Occupation
Best of wishes to you, Hallback. I hope they get you up and running pronto.

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Vigilant

I knew that Ray had passed. I was in the neighborhood a few years back and stopped by but it was in the middle of the week and it was closed. I talked to Reggie while there who told me he had stopped drinking so that might have slowed the fighting somewhat. I noticed that Bruce (the surveyor) had a big garden growing so I assumed he was doing OK. (His truck was not there so I did not stop). I will miss the snooze creek, the local logging show, the road rally, and all of the other things that Ray did. He was a real interesting guy to talk with.

Vigilant

Occupation
I knew all about the Tavern. I heard about it years ago as a kid. I took my father out that way in 1995. I told him we needed to stop and see the inside of the Tavern. He flatly refused. It was not out of any kind of disdain; he stated that he did not want to be carried back out on a stretcher. I had always heard that if you were not a logger and from that area, that is pretty much how you would leave that place. I went back out that way myself in the Spring of 2002. I myself thrived on managing adversity long before I went to work inside the fence. I talked to Ray outside and told him that I knew I had no right to be there, but that my father used to work for Weyco Twin Harbors years ago, and had surveyed a large portion of Weyco's land holdings in that area. I asked Ray if he knew a gent my father used to work with name John McMeekin, aka Oakville Johnny. I knew that McMeekin had worked for Saginaw Timber for some amout of time. Ray's eyes lit up and he said that he and Johnny used to go to school together as kids... in Oakville. So, Ray cordially invited me inside. I bellied up to the bar, and Ray told me that he was going to see how good I was. He showed me an old photo of a young lad sitting on a chopped out wooden tub full of tools, huge chain and various hooks and tackle, and asked me what that young lad would be called back in the day. I smiled and said, "Well I would usually refer to him in a more profane manner, but since some of these good folks might have sensitive feelings, I will have to settle for the 'Pig Fornicator'. The whole placed broke out in a good belly laugh. The faller sitting next to me was fit to be tied. He wanted to fight SOO badly that he was squirming in his seat, but his curiosity won the battle... for a while at least. We started talking about fishing at Fall River and picking up agates and petrified wood, then moved on to the old kids' TV shows. He looked at me out of the corner of his eye and half growled: "Ya remember Crazy Donkey?". My response: "I sure do. He was on J P Patches, right?". My next-seat neighbor jumped off his bar stool, balled up his fists, and growled loudly: "Crazy Donkey was on BRAKEMAN BILL!". I didn't skip a beat. I replied, "You're right, and I feel pretty bad about missing that. I believe I need to pay the penalty". He replied, "YEAH! ....... Uh, what's the penalty?". I said, I believe I need to buy everybody a round of beer. Hey Ray. How much for a round of beer for everyone?". He counted it all up and gave me a number. I paid him and tipped him $5.00 and got a big smile of approval. He passed out the beer, the old faller next to me started to settle down. We had a little small talk here and there, and someone else said, "Hey, ya know, You're alright". I replied, I appreciate that. Truly. And I did. I went on to say, I wish I could stick around, but I'm running short on time. I have really enjoyed this". (I thought that was a very good note to leave on under the circumstances). I started easing toward the door, got a few seemingly sincere well wishes along the way, and when I opened the door to leave, I turned around and said. "I wish every one of you the best. Y'awl have a great day.

You could have heard a pin drop, and you could almost hear the jaws drop. I eased the door shut, and exited stage right.

Hey Mr. Wrench: Did you fish Fall River while you were there, or had that crazy turdhead already plastered 'no trespassing' signs everywhere?

Last edited:

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Hall back,what is the latest info on your Skagit? Is it being fixed,can you find necessary parts? Maybe a few pictures. Hope things turn out well

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Actually I meet the appraiser today at 10 to go over the machine.
We were moving it back last monday and lost a steer & drive tire at the same time then 30 minutes later lost another steer tire. The second steer failure really wreaked havoc on the air & fluid lines under the truck, blew the headlights out of it and really tore it up. Good thing nobody was coming in the other lane as it would have been bad!

That poor yarder is cursed.

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Is the machine self powered or was it on a lowbed truck? How far was it traveling? This is taking a fair bit of time just to get started. Good luck.

Vigilant

Occupation
I believe it is truck mounted on a Kenworth K100. Correct?

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Yes, on a K100.
Here are a couple roadside shots.

Attachments

• 20150622_144420.jpg
    20150622_144420.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 20150622_144400.jpg
    20150622_144400.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 363