• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Perkins Pukes

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
fasteddie, you're very fortunate that the #4 rod didn't exit through the side of the block, that's usually the outcome during catastrophic failure. The point of failure in my machine was indeed the oil pump, the oil pump is molded into the front cover and has an aluminum plate that covers the pump gear in the housing. The plate is what failed, it simply broke, in my opinion it wasn't designed thick enough for the pressure it has to deal with. During my research on the web I found this to be a common problem. While you have the engine apart I'd pay close attention to this plate and if possible have one made that is thicker. If I recall correctly the housing mating surface is plat and should be fairly simple to do.

DGODGR, I've had some of the same questions as you. I've asked every Cat resource I have whether this part has been improved and have been met with silence, it's very unsettling to think this could happen again. My research showed only some of these engines were made in China but I wasn't able to learn how that could be designated. The engine in my machine is a Cat branded Perkins, I've been unable to find the Cat engine number on it anywhere. I believe it was used in the first three years of production of the skid steer line in both turbo and natural versions and Cat then began using the Mitsubishi engine you mention. I can also state I have an in depth knowledge of machinery and their inner workings and what is abusive. I check the oil before every start up, allow proper warm up AND cool down before shutting off. If this wasn't a design flaw then it was certainly a problem with the end manufacturer following the design plans.

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Hello guys, I use to work for a cat dealer , but yesss there were issues retaining to the earlier Perkins motors that were in the skid steers, Was multiple times customers brought them in that were rattling or slobbering oil, Boss man told the techs working on them to take them out by the fence an let them run at high idle an walk away an wait for the gernade to go off, Basically the dealer just wanted it to self destruct then install new motors an file for warranty, I’ve seen the motors actually go out as early as 200 hrs on them, not sure what the deal was with the skid steer motors, we never saw other compact equipment that run the Perkins give as many fits as the skid steer line did. But since then it’s been 10 yrs ago a I build a few a yr. I get my parts from a place in Valdosta Ga. called equipment parts supply (229-244-0016 ). Ask for George. Tell him that Chris from LaGrange told ya bout them. They have helped me multiple times on these motors an kept me from going to cat an paying triple the price, I buy all my engine kits for all makes An models an undercarriage from them, you name it they got it, Goood folks down there

Scenicrusier

Occupation
Retired, but still got to make a living
Hi Everyone. I didn't find this site until recently. so, with that in mind, Here's my story; I made a deal last week to buy a Cat skid steer. I ran the serial on one of the sites that could tell you some info. Says i'm looking at a 2010 skid loader with the 3024c engine. It is a 232b model. The unit is not running, but it looks like there is water in the oil. Some minor parts have been removed, nothing removed from the engine but the air cleaner housing. Other than the engine and some minor items like seat cover and rubber boots that cover the hand controls, it is a very nice looking unit. The engine is actually very clean on the outside and I looked everywhere I could for any block damage, none found. Talked with several folks and they all seemed to say it blew a head gasket.
I'm no stranger to auto repair, or engine repair/rebuilding, but this is all gas engine related work. This would be my first diesel adventure.
I'm buying this unit for 3K. Only looked on ebay for engine rebuilding kits and that is in the 1k range. And yes, I know there will be surprises as I dig into this job.
So with all the info I provided above, what do you guys think? Am I doomed for failure? Is there a chance for success ? Should I just take the money and invest in liquor stocks?
Like the guy says "what could go wrong."
Thanks---Mike

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Is it local.?? U said its not running.. will it turn over??
if yes, try to do a compression test.. or at least loosen the lines at the injectors or at the pump & see if the inj. pump is pumping.. if it is GOOD.. if not, your looking at a pump & injector o/h too.. about another grand.. depending on condition.

Scenicrusier

Occupation
I think I hit a wrong button, but anyway the last 8 digits are SCH03895. I'll check back a little later.
Thanks---Mike

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Well for once the data let me down ......... :oops: I'll know in future not to place 100% reliance on the information from that source.
SCH03895, date of build 3st March 2010. Sorry 'bout that......

A useless piece of information that may interest only me. It was one of the last 10 or so SCH-prefix machines built before the model was phased out. Last one off the line was SCH03997 on 9th June 2010.

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well for once the data let me down ......... :oops: I'll know in future not to place 100% reliance on the information from that source.
SCH03895, date of build 3st March 2010. Sorry 'bout that......

A useless piece of information that may interest only me. It was one of the last 10 or so SCH-prefix machines built before the model was phased out. Last one off the line was SCH03997 on 9th June 2010.

So does that mean the factory used up all the left over parts to clear off the shelves?:eek:

Scenicrusier

Occupation
Well, we picked up and brought my skid steer to my shop today. My friend is a local country boy with a lot of good common sense and a great rigger and has access to a lot of equipment for moving big farm equipment. All things went well overall. Only challenge was unloading. But that got resolved. I really didn't get much else done today due to taking meds and out in the bright 95 degree sun. I did go thru a gallon of water.
Are there any places to look on the skid steer for numbers or information? Only one I saw was the serial number plate.

Thanks---Mike

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Hello, I’m guessing someone saw ur post am flipped it over to me, I work for a cat dealer for yrs, very familiar with these motors. If help is steel needed please feel free to email me an we exchange phone numbers , be glade to help in anyway. I have outside sources for parts too. backwoodstractor@hotmail.com

chris allen

Occupation
Feild tech
Sorry spell check crap on cell phones, I use to work for a cat dealer for 8 yrs then was laid off , been on my
Own since

Nige

Are there any places to look on the skid steer for numbers or information? Only one I saw was the serial number plate.
With the Serial Number you should be able to get everything you need in the way of parts & service information.
A Parts Manual and an Operator & Maintenance Manual might be a good place to start. You can download them from Cat - https://catpublications.com/
When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest".
For Parts Manual type SEBU4633 and click Search. You should see the illustration below ………. for an Operator Manual the document reference is SEBU8385. As you can see the Parts Manual is $89 for a pdf download, the Operator/Maintenance Manual SEBU8385 is $46.

upload_2019-7-30_17-32-55.png

Scenicrusier

Occupation
Nige, I appreciate your effort to help, but I surely must be doing something wrong. I tried to do exactly as you stated, but I never got the screen as shown in your post. In fact, I went thru about 20 pages on the cat site after entering SEBU4633 and never did see anything closely to 'SEPB4633-39 232B2 Skid Steer loader - Parts Manual." Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks---Mike

Nige

Well caught Ron. Apologies, a typo on my part. I must have been thinking O&M Manual (SEBUxxxx) when I typed the details above regarding the Parts Manual - the correct document reference is SEBP4633.

Although in my defence the screen shot I posted above does actually show the correct document reference number SEBP4633-29...……. :oops::oops:

Last edited:

Scenicrusier

Occupation
upload_2019-7-30_17-32-55-png.199884

Does this parts manual show pics of all systems, drives, and electrical diagrams with all the device/part names and part numbers? I'm looking for a manual that will show exploded views of most/all systems. I want to see how it assembled before I take it apart or know when something is missing.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well wiring diagrams are usually found in Service Manuals, not parts books.

Below is one of the pictures out of the parts book, each of the numbers in the picture will have a description and part number. This is one page for the governor of the fuel system.

Governor.png