• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Rainy Day here in the Northeast

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Atleast we got mowing finished on Friday. We could not work on a Patio job on Saturday and now today. Did some maintenance and the sent my employee home. I feel bad for him as much as myself, he has probably made half what he did last year to this point because of rain days. I have a lot of jobs in the works but the weather has really slowed us down this year.

How do you guys handle keeping employees happy when this occurres? I do not want to lose him.

PSDF350

I feel your pain Jesse. Everyone around is finding it tough to make a living when everything is a mud hole. I am soooooooooooooo sick of rain I am about ready to move to the sahara. Only thing stopping me is the webbing on my feet and hands I am getting from past 16 months of unbelievable wet weather we have been having.

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
I too used to feel bad about sending employees home for lack of work for any reason. I'd pay them basically for nothing. And it is a surefire way to ruin yourself! And in the end, the more you do the more that is expected. It really is a bad break, but if you can't work for whatever reason you can't pay people to stand around or do busy work. If you treat them fair, and are good to work for, they won't leave. Chances are that nobody else is working either because of the weather. You could always have them work extra, longer days or weekends, when the weather breaks, if you have the work, and they are willing. The sad truth is that you are the only one worried about your bottom line, not your guys,and certainly not the customers!

tylermckee

we just push through the rain. we only stop working if its snowing, and even then its gotta be coming down pretty good to get me to stay home. We only reall have a couple months of nice weather, july, aug, sep, then comes the rain. today we have blue skies, and its about 90 degrees right now :notworthy

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
You could always have them work extra, longer days or weekends, when the weather breaks,...

It would be interesting to hear how many would actually be interested.

rino1494

We work 6 days a week. If we miss one day then it is ok. Usually if it rains too much, we'll go into the shop and work on the equipment. We save repairs for days like this. Then again, we are a small company.

tylermckee

Whats better than standing in a trench 6' deep with a foot of muck on the trench floor while its 35 degrees and the rain is coming down damn near horizontal:bouncegri

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I don't know, I'd rather be cold than too hot. I like the heat, but today was insane out here, it hit 103 at about 3:00 today. Supposed to be 100-104 tomorrow....:crying :crying

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Too hot today it was around 33 celsius (92 degree farenhiet) I was sweating like a pig today I'am glad that I have a job where I can go hide in the shade which is 28 celsius (82 degree farenhiet).

We don't let rain stop us we work right through thunder storms if we have to. Put on the rain gear and rubber boots and go to work your not made of sugar your not going to melt.

The only time rain stops us is if the site is turning to mush. If we stopped because of rain we wouldn't be working it rains 80% of the year on the West Coast.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
tylermckee said:
Whats better than standing in a trench 6' deep with a foot of muck on the trench floor while its 35 degrees and the rain is coming down damn near horizontal:bouncegri

Uhh...Ummm...when the rain is coming down vertical????:confused: :rolleyes:

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Another rain day... if I'd been here for a year I could at least put in days like today as vacation days, but I haven't so it kinda sucks. That's the one problem with this field of work, it's really dependent on good weather, otherwise you don't get paid:Banghead

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Horizontal rain hurts when it hits you in the face or any exposed skin. When you have wind gusting hard enough it will blow you over in combination with heavy rain it makes for a miserable day.

When you have the rain gear on you don't get wet from the rain you get soaking wet from sweating in the rain gear. I try to avoid wearing Helly Hansen rain gear its good for commercial fishermen but not good for construction its too stiff makes you walk like a robot.

I would rather deal with rain over frozen ground and snow.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
We had a confirmed tornado touch down in town here Monday evening. It was very localized and only traveled about 1/2 mile. This is the first time I've seen a picket fence blown over, it's a very strange sight to see. Two houses were damaged along with one car by downed trees, one major road was blocked for 3 hours by a huge tree. The trees were twisted off their stumps, that's what confirmed this as a tornado, NWS representatives came to the scene to investigate. I can't remember the last time if ever we had a tornado in this area. I live about 5 miles from the tornado site and we didn't even experience a stiff breeze!

For the past 6 weeks, we've averaged 3 or 4 days of rain a week. Work is way behind, most of the work I do is finish work and it's too sloppy to do in the rain. We squeezed in a day of mowing today after 2 hours of morning showers, it's forcast to rain again the next 3 days now. A very frustrating season so far......

Last edited:

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
No tornadoes by me, but plenty of rain. I had to make a trench off the side of the foundation hole to drain it. Even worse was that an old septic tank bubbled up all over the lawn.

Attachments

• Water in the Hole.JPG
    Water in the Hole.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 200

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
I am in the same boat as Steve, I do mostly finish work. Mowing, new landscape and lawn installs and walls, walks and patios. You just can't prep a yard for seed in this muck.

At least the grass is growing.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
At least I don't have to water this new hydroseeding job. It quit raining 3 days ago for about 4 hours. Just enough time for me to spray a little seed on a job that has been waiting sence last Augest. It started raining again before I was finished and dumped over an inch that afternoon and hasn't quit. Hope the seed will grow under water.
Oh well I suspose that is what one should expect living in a rain forest.

Attachments

• Longrun-hydroseeding.jpg
    Longrun-hydroseeding.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited: