• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another Rainy Day here in the Northeast

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
They broadcast on the news here yesterday that parts of Port Jervis, a NY/Pa. border town are being evacuated. The Deleware River runs through there and is expected to crest above flood levels today. I've got my gutter piped to my pool to fill it, it came up 6" overnight.

I just hope we don't go bone dry when this thing finally ends.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Suns out today, and yet here I sit... since our job is mud. I hope it dries out enough to do something tomorrow, boredom i can deal with, but I'm gonna have bills and other expenses here to deal with soon.

here's to a week or so without rain:drinkup

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Ran over to Carmel today Steve and all the resevoirs along 84 in Brewster are full, I can't imagine what it is like over by the PA border.

I sank in to my ankles at one job today, so obviously could not work there.

We did some cutting, hoping to get more in tomorrow and I was able to lay pavers and work on cuts.

Even my mulch supplier has been unable to grind with all the rain.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
the woods here its just a swamp,we don't even dare take the gear in very far :( i can't remember a weekend so far the past couple months where we're not getting decent rainfall.

itsgottobegreen

I am now screwed for the next two weeks trying to get some grading done. All I did for 4 days was run fire calls during the rain. I am trying to cram 3.5 days of mowing into 2 days right now. Man does it suck since half you can't get the ztrs on it because they are still well. Only got the kubota zd-28s stuck like 4 times today. :Banghead

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
We haven't even tried to use the ZTRs this week, although I have seen others using them. Generally we only use them in backyards anyway. All the fronts get the 48" WBs. That is all we have been trying this week and last due to the wet. Even then they have rutted a bit.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
We got hammered again this afternoon!!!! I awoke to showers that ended about 8:00am, sent the guys out to do a dethatch while the grass dried and then they mowed. I got about 6 hours in on a deck I'm building, then all hell broke loose. I saw a thunderstorm rolling in on me and had time to gather up the tools, then the sky opened up.

We had rain like I've never seen before for about 30 minutes. For about 10 minutes of that time we had pea sized hail. The aftermath of this storm didn't come until about 30 minutes after it stopped raining. It had rained so hard that the runoff coming from the mountain behind me overflowed streams and brooks causing massive destruction.

One house I saw ended up with 6 mafia blocks in his front yard that were pulled out from under a bridge. A client of mine lost her culvert and now has a 5' wide by 6' deep ravine in her driveway now. One part of the County road that I live near had all of its shoulder washed away and when I last saw that section, the pavement had broken off to the white line and the driving lane was being undermined.

The forecast tonight is for a worse storm than we had this afternoon. It should be interesting. The ground is so saturated it can absorb no more water so anything we get becomes runoff. Thunderstorms forecast for all day tomorrow too.

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
yup. I am sitting here waiting. Got some mowers parts I needed ordered for maintenance and we just did all our sharpening.

Was supposed to grade out around a wall we were finally able to finish by working over the last few days but it will be to muddy now.

Looks like another hour ot two of rain.