• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anti-Seize compound usage?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Oh...great. Now I have to worry about what flavor anti-seize I use.
(grumblegrumblegrumble....):p
LOL, that is funny!

I use the regular neversieze on gland nuts.

As I previously stated, I have seen it work...Years ago, I was a mechanic for the utility company I currently work for. Back then the bucket trucks had 2 sets of cables. The cable end threaded into the cylinder. When replacing the cables (every 5 years), the cylinder had to be completly removed from the end. 5 years of sitting out in the weather, and these broke loose every time, if the guy before you used the neversieze. If not, out came the sawzall and off came the cylinder to get the 2 apart. That is all the proof I needed to use it in my personal life!

1690291833062.png

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Boss purchased a brand spanking new gas engine portable pressure washer today. It rolled in, looked it over, damn this thing is fancy, electric start and all. Kohler V twin engine, all pretty and clean. What do I do straight off the bat??? Yep, remove the exhaust manifold nuts and straightaway apply never seize to the studs then screw the nuts back on. Yeah, I'm anal about this stuff.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Finding corroded fasteners where a previous installer failed to use anti-seize is enough to give you a seizure.

200w.gif

Old Doug

Aluminum, nickel or copper is the next question. What’s your favorite flavor?
I worked for a guy that made his own . He used powdered graphite that he got from the salvage store i also worked at . I dont remember but he ether used 80/90 gear oil or STP mixed in it. I use it on lug nuts all the time on my own stuff but not on other peoples stuff .

dgb

I used to apply anti seize to my lug nuts on my truck, never had a problem. Then bought a set of tires at CostCo and they rotate for free but at the first rotation a couple years ago they spent probably a half hour cleaning every lug and told me not to use the stuff... funny too just had a flat front on the hoe when the air valve got broke off and was planning to make sure and anti seize them when installing tomorrow.

IceHole

Don't let the scalehouse cops see Neversieze or the like on lug studs. For some reason they believe your lugs will come loose with it. Nevermind the revenue generator the citation is.....
They pulled one of guys in for some b/s and he told him to eat his dirty ass.
That didn't go over well. They picked through that truck with a magnifying glass for ANYTHING they could find.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I used to apply anti seize to my lug nuts on my truck, never had a problem. Then bought a set of tires at CostCo and they rotate for free but at the first rotation a couple years ago they spent probably a half hour cleaning every lug and told me not to use the stuff... funny too just had a flat front on the hoe when the air valve got broke off and was planning to make sure and anti seize them when installing tomorrow.
lol. Well, they did go to lug nut school, and are just following company policy & OEM torque procedures. Worried about your safety. Be sure to return after 100 miles for the retorque. Bless their hearts. They probably filled them tires with nitrogen, too. And used green valve stem caps.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Well, I still use it on mine near each time the lugs are off. I also do use a pressure washer on the wheels of trucks so anything external to the threaded portion, (which does nothing) is washed away. It's worked far too many years for me to stop. Once the nuts are broken free, fingers will remove them from the parent studs. Very few exceptions to this unless a numbskull with an impact wrench has been there first.

hosspuller

Lug nuts on my antique Porsche car have Anti seize from the factory. Steel studs, aluminum nuts. I always require any tire service to use a special socket I supply, to remove the nuts. And leave the car outside for me to use my torque wrench for final torque. Years ago, NTW screwed up the car before, my SOP.

dgb

lol. Well, they did go to lug nut school, and are just following company policy & OEM torque procedures. Worried about your safety. Be sure to return after 100 miles for the retorque. Bless their hearts. They probably filled them tires with nitrogen, too. And used green valve stem caps.
Thumbs up to that,, they do fill with nitro, and balance every wheel.. but no green stems and I see they quit requiring a return to re torque ,, hypocrisy runs just so deep, you know most probably do it logically at home. . lol And they have the Nazi police at the gas station making sure old guys and women take those gas cans off the tail gate to fill, and have those pressure sensitive pump nozzles to make sure you freeze your butt off in a Gail force wind and tweak that back more,, but for an average of .10 to 20 cents savings I'll risk a sore back or head cold for a few hours :)

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
I thought antisieze was best for heat, and I'll usually use grease if it's not a spark plug or exhaust part. Or sometimes dissimilar metals.
There are different grades of anti seize compounds. It pays to use the right formulation for the task at hand.

That said, I primarily use LB 771 Nickel based compound.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
This one works great for electrical conductivity and dissimilar metal joining. We used it extensively with stainless to carbon steel fastening and all electrical grounding/bonding scenarios.

https://www.amazon.com/Jet-Lube-Ant...1848&sbo=RZvfv//HxDF+O5021pAnSA==&sr=8-3&th=1

Another that is a more widely recognized product and pretty much a direct competitor:

I like the Jet-Lube products but any of them will separate when setting on a shelf or in a hot toolbox requiring agitation or remixing of the product.