• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody pull a mechanical detach trailer without air ride?

crane operator

I pulled one of these, a Hyster, loved it, moved pavers with it also.
*View attachment 302547
I thought he was talking about a fixed mechanical neck, not a folding neck.

Like one of these with the rollers on the neck. I know they are lighter, and they run a bunch of them out in California. Just seems like every time we get one, the driver can't get back under it, or lined up right.

And you aren't getting it up off a set of tracks. fixed detach.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
If you're willing to put a wet kit on the truck, why not just get a hydraulic neck? I've never been around a mechanical trailer so I don't know what they can do.
I am trying to keep the weight down is the only consideration. Would strongly prefer to have the NGB type trailer but the weight is a factor with my truck set up the way it is.

1693TA

Occupation
The Trail King trailer is a fixed mechanical neck. Like your photo but with a deck over the neck. It has the rollers that ride the rails or guides up to the 5th wheel.

If the neck was tall enough a hydraulic power pack could be buried in the neck and a cylinder much like a NGB neck support could be incorporated. I've not measured so not sure about this scenario.

1693TA

Occupation
Just watched that video and it shows where a winch would have been handy to pull the neck up onto the 5th wheel. Frost is always a bitch and even if would have gotten connected, he may not have been able to pull the weight as easy as the tractor was spinning the tires out. You never know in a video. I would not have tried that many times myself, but I wasn't there so not my place to critique.

Shimmy1

Just watched that video and it shows where a winch would have been handy to pull the neck up onto the 5th wheel. Frost is always a bitch and even if would have gotten connected, he may not have been able to pull the weight as easy as the tractor was spinning the tires out. You never know in a video. I would not have tried that many times myself, but I wasn't there so not my place to critique.
I think for what you're trying to do, you will probably be able to manage with a mechanical. The main benefits of one are no hydraulic requirement, lighter weight, and generally a longer well. They have absolutely no place off of concrete or asphalt.

As for folding necks, they have a place. Just not for everyone.

1693TA

Occupation
I think for what you're trying to do, you will probably be able to manage with a mechanical. The main benefits of one are no hydraulic requirement, lighter weight, and generally a longer well. They have absolutely no place off of concrete or asphalt.

As for folding necks, they have a place. Just not for everyone.
Thanks. The folder I had was nice for the application. Mechanical in operation, it was very easy to use and really did not see any on highway use loaded. I was working coal mines then and grabbing a dead dozer was pretty easy with that trailer, and the winch to pull the tractor on. Didn't have to have help most times which was good as union and management were always at odds. A nice warm shop beat the snot out of a tent, or cold hole in the ground during winter. The trailer however was heavy and the reason it wasn't kept after I was forced out. The truck I have personal connection to so wasn't going to be sold off.

I just have my 15 ton Allis dozer, 8.25yd Buffalo scraper bowl, skid steer, and a couple of other smaller things and wanting to fit needs. I'd like to keep my old drop deck for rubber tired things but really don't like equipment on steel tracks very high in the air. A medium sized excavator is in the future also so looking to encompass that need. I really don't foresee being off pavement or firm areas much at all but things could change quickly if I start doing things for others.

1693TA

Occupation
Sent a couple of emails off to this trailer's current owner who is retiring June 30, and Trail King as wanting to ascertain basic weight of this trailer with the included options it was sold new with. I do have the serial number of the trailer. This information can then be compared to a hydraulic RGN. I don't really need the long lower deck and actually see it as more of a detriment given the overall length and manipulating concerns around tight spaces. I think an open neck, and a 20' lower well deck would work for me if the rear tandems were covered. I would probably want to take both my dozer and the skid steer to a job on the same load as example. Maybe the shorter trailer, but heavier construction will balance and keep me within target for weight which is of course tied to licensing.

Shimmy1

. I don't really need the long lower deck and actually see it as more of a detriment given the overall length and manipulating concerns around tight spaces. I think an open neck, and a 20' lower well deck would work for me if the rear tandems were covered.

So you're looking for a unicorn haha

Oxbow

Probably. "Status Quo" has never really fit me well.
You have a winch. Just weld an eye on the front of the trailer and winch the neck up and on to your fifth wheel. There is slack in a mechanical neck so you won't be picking that much weight until the rollers of the trailer clear your tail roller. No need to reinvent the wheel here. As mentioned, if you are going to add a wet kit then just get a hydraulic RGN, or get one with a pony motor on it and save yourself money and headaches.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
I started pulling a mechanical neck in 78 with this Pete on Hendrickson RTE440. Stuck a 4' 4x4 on the truck ramp to support the neck. These trailers were the thing to have in CA, AZ,NV as they were light enough to permit a D8H. The key to these is the ramp to the 5th wheel, too short and its too steep. Too long and not enough swing clearance. Long, wide neck works best. By 87 I was using an air ride Pete and if the ramps were built right, you could pull the neck off and it would rest on the ramps. I could have the neck off in 3 minutes. I pulled Murrays and you just had to pick a flat spot when off in the dirt.. Cozads were a bit easier if you had to break it down in rough places. But then, everything loaded over the back except pavers, compactors, narrow rollers and little forklifts etc. A couple pics.
13winch2.jpg704ramps1.JPGIMG_1632.JPG

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks for posting the photos. Gets me a better picture of what I'm after. This Trail King trailer comes in a bit heavier than I thought at 23,961# as shipped from the manufacturer on 12/09/19 per the original manifest. This includes the rear "flip" also as they shipped together. I did think being all mechanical it would be lighter. Most of the Talbert's I've been around are a little over 22-23K in weight so not a lot of difference, but I don't think that would include any extra axles. Not an "apples to apples" comparison, but relatively close enough to derive from.

I'm thinking I'd like to have the trailer weight no more than 20K as the dozer weighs roughly 32K fully fueled, the truck just over 21,460 with one tank full. With a 20K trailer, I'm already over the 73,280 registration wanted to purchase. Basically I'd need a full 80K registration to carry anything additional to the dozer and possibly permits other than wide load when doing so for the skid steer as example.

Having those numbers and knowing what my truck, and dozer weigh, it's easy to see the truck needs to go on a diet. I don't need all that winch rigging any longer and the winch could be remounted much lighter. I figure I could probably lose almost a 3/4 ton by removal of additional steel hung onto that tractor and possibly more by the time the 5th wheel elevation is reduced, and tail roller height also reduced, or removed. As simple example, that tail roller is 3/8" wall and filled with concrete before being welded closed. The original roller was "collapsing" from the weight of my old trailer and the cable riding it. The 5th wheel pedestal is mounted to 4X4X.500" wall square tube and the riser ramps are cut from 5/8" plate. Back when that truck was put together I never really operated loaded on the roadways so weight wasn't a concern; durability was however.
I have a 74 50 ton 3 axle Loadking Easyfold with on board power unit
that needs a good home If any interest.
Haven't used it in 25 years.
TomView attachment 302613
We should talk. PM me a number to call tomorrow. Just happen to have enough white oak to plank that trailer already.

Thanks,