• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV PT100 Tachometer not Working and Hour Meter Wiring

L3akaL3

Also, where is your block heater? I am starting to think my "hockey puck" is the cord for the block heater. It's below freezing so I haven't been out to the shop yet but thinking about it and I think the ribbon cord looked a lot like the outlet plug that was in the engine bay. I'm suspecting that the puck is the other end. I don't recall seeing a block heater on my engine though I didn't really look hard. Since it's a new engine, it may not have been installed.

daveyclimber

I believe you need to slightly raise cab and pull the tab inward. Your hockey puck is the block heater most likely. Never used mine and likely would never need it unless Temps are below the teens.

L3akaL3

The "hockey puck was just the block heater plug. I don't think I have one installed on the new engine so I just removed it.

Heater Puck.jpg

Heater Plug.jpg

L3akaL3

Still making progress on this project. Now trying to unravel a few more mysteries.

What is this line going from back of engine bay and disappearing towards the cab? It doesn't appear to actually go into the cab and almost looks like it goes to the hydraulic reservoir. My diagrams don't show it and I can't find the other side. It has what looks like a fuel filter on it and just ends in the engine bay hanging loose. Is it just a vent for the hydraulic tank? What/where does it hook to on my loose end?

Skid Mystery Hose.jpg

What is the purpose of this what looks like water separator on the side of the engine bay? My fuel lines all have other spin on filters in there and there are already numerous filters for the hydraulics that have spin on filters. This is some old ancient thing with nothing hooked to it.

Skid Separator.jpg

I found a couple PT-100s in a salvage yard in Michigan online but they don't want to mess with them n the cold weather. I am trying to get skid plates and possibly fan parts, and various other stuff I am missing. If anyone has extra stuff, knows of a junked skid etc., I'd appreciate a heads up. They said to call back in March but I doubt they will be receptive then either. They said that the skids had been there a while and were sunk in the mud.

Last edited:

L3akaL3

Had a chance to pop the hood and take a look around my PT100 for you.

Lets start with the oil sender. I looked at your photo and the picture of the engine you have there has the oil filter and starter mount on the intake side of the engine. On mine the filter and starter location are on the exhaust side of the engine. I read that Perkins makes the oil filter mounting location interchangeable to allow the engine to be used in a variety of applications. I looked at both sides of the engine block down low and the oil filter housing. I couldn't find any senders or wires when I looked. I don't think the sender is mounted on the bottom side of the filter mount because I am pretty sure I would have remembered that and I don't see any wire harnesses in that area. The only harness I see on that side is for the alternator and that harness also has the wire that you are looking at in the second picture on the exhaust side of the engine.

Second picture-- brand spanking new Perkins 1104. "What goes here?" What you have circled is the temperature sender. Note that next to it is a bright colored plug. Lets also incorporate the third picture into this as well about the heater hoses. If you look at the heater hose pic you can see the plug on the second picture is where you see the heater hose in the third picture. On my PT100 those locations are swapped. The temp sender is on the outside under the thermostat housing and the heater hose is on the inside by the intake. You want to have them that way because if you don't, you are going to have a bear of a time hooking up your temp sender. You simply can't get tools in there with that heater hose in the way as it is in the picture. The water pump will send coolant out of the head to the heater core regardless of the port its mounted in. Now here is something very important that will save you a ton of time that took me over 2 months to figure out. The temp sender will not thread into the head. You need an adaptor to thread into the head and then thread the temp sender into the adaptor. The threads in the head are British Pipe Thread (BSP)!!! Perkins is a British company after all You will not find an adaptor at your local hardware or auto parts stores because here in the US we use NPT thread and NPT is a different thread pitch than BSP. You can find adaptors on eBay. The Perkins sending units I was experimenting with were M18 thread. The final sending unit I used from that eBay gauge I told you about was 1/8 NPT so I had to get a 1/2 BSP male to 1/8 NPT female converter. A guy from England had them on eBay and I got it from him in about 2 weeks. One more thing on the temp sender-- both the wires on the connector for mine were black. Why they used the same color beats me.

Continuing on the second picture you have "Extra? Wires hooked to it are wrong color for gauge." I saw this wire on my unit when I was working on the alternator and AC compressor. It goes behind the mounting bracket for those units. I had no need to remove my mounting bracket so I don't know what that wire does or what it connects to. Its possible it could be the oil sender. There are oil passages that go into the head and its possible there is a sender behind that bracket that taps into an oil passage. A lot of GM engines (at least those in old cars) have the oil sender on the top of the block above the camshaft so its not unheard of.

On your last picture "What is this wire?" I have the exact same wire and connector going to a thick green wire in the harness. I would place a large wager in Vegas that wire is for the glow plugs. It looks like it needs to move a lot of current with how large it is.

Hope I've given you some good clues for your project.
You had said you couldn't find a temp sender. Mine had the retaining clip broken off so I went looking for another one. I was able to read the number off mine and found many sources. I ended up getting one from Amazon for $20. It is part number 2848A126
Just thought I would post this in case you ever decide to go back to stock or someone else has the same issue.