• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ax Men

Wolfcsm

It looks to me like some of the companies are making things far more dangerous than they normally would be. The quote "do what you have to" to make the deadline sounds a lot like "forget the men, forget safety, get the job done". I saw a lot of men with pieces missing, on Mt Hood in Oregon, in the '60s from logging. Sounds today like pride in logging being an inharently dangerous job - at least on Axmen.

Wouldn't OSHA or the Oregon Safety folks be interested in some of the procedures?

Hal

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
OSHA on their behinds

I heard recently that several of the outfits featured on "Ax-Men" have been visited by the OSHA man lately.

PSDF350

I heard recently that several of the outfits featured on "Ax-Men" have been visited by the OSHA man lately.

I wouldn't be surprised, becuase I know alot of what they were doing shall we say fell a bit outside the osha guidlines. Which is all well and fine, but not on national tv:pointhead

JJK

AX Men is a good show, but some of those guys are just plain idiots!

Did you see where they sent up their "climber" (who knew NOTHING about climbing) and he topped the tree onto the cable line with the winch car and it snapped in 1/2 almost killing a guy?

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
We finally got the trailers over this side of the pond :drinkup really looking forward to seeing this show.

OneWelder

I am watching Ice Road truckers, they roughly drag a genrater set off a trailier, let ist slam into the loader, surprise the next day when their delivering it the fuel tank leaks

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I had to turn it off tonight, it was just too stupid. Rick driving so fast his head is bouncing off the ceiling, the nearly running in to the parked truck. They stuff absorbent material under the leak and claim to have saved the world. If the driver had continued on his route rather than stopping on the ice he'd probably have lost less fuel in the end. I changed the channel at that point.

dumptrucker

If it weren't for the stupid *ss Rick, the show might not be half bad. He just gives every blue collar worker in the world a bad name.

OneWelder

I agree with both of you. Although I did not turn off ,I came close.
I watch both shows to see the different types of equipment and procedures. Different parts of the country use different styles of equipment. For Example those trailiers are rarity around here - I see detachable lowbeds and Drop deck trailiers, with an occasional hyd. Landol(usally as rigging or fork truck dealer owned).
Instead ended up with a soap opera- with no steamy scenes

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ive finally seen both programmes now, and I really love it. As far as I'm concerned, Hugh can be a bit of an *ss, but I suppose, if you got a bad driver, its better to let them go early then cause big accidents later. as for ax men, yoah, that program gets me going! its on tonight, but early, not 10pm, at 7:35pm. Yay!

tctractors

Ice Road Truckers

In the U.K. we are laughing our pants off at this comic strip crap, in the last series there was only 2 trucks within 10 miles of each other and they manage to crash???plus all this talk of sitting and waiting??? get on with it and stop moaning ,or give another driver a crack, it comes over rather lame here, no traffic jams, no road works, no junctions or round-abouts, 1 road and no map required??? one trip to much ?????

tctractors

tctractors

Axe MEN

This is Rough Stuff, and things happen fast, A lot going on and great things to look at , A good and interesting program showing tough gangs doing things that could be best described as "Not for ME"

tctractors

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
This is Rough Stuff, and things happen fast, A lot going on and great things to look at , A good and interesting program showing tough gangs doing things that could be best described as "Not for ME"

tctractors

Sure is different to anything I have ever encountered and I enjoyed both this and Ice Road Truckers.
Neither of which I fancy doing :D

redlaker1

I just watched my first episode of ax men last night and found it pretty entertaining. I am not a logger though, but I was a feller on a forest fire crew for 6 years and dropped a tree or two in my day. so I can relate.. but the yarders and stuff is what I find interesting. haywire business thats for sure.

as for ice road truckers, ummmm... trucking on the ice road has its interesting moments, but that is one moment (1 minute) in every 12 hours of bouncing along at painfully slow speed trying not to go completely insane. where I am from we have the real ice roads, not those paved ice freeways they show up in the NWT. around here the guys battle constantly with bad ice conditions, bad road conditions, hills, and every year the season gets shorter it seems. ice road truckers definitely has tried to crank the drama and excitement up way too high, anyone that has trucked on the ice road can tell you that.

the only hope is that some ice road trucker can use the show to impress a girl in a bar somewhere...
"ya baby, I truck on the ice roads, live life on the edge. 200km and 16 hours of pure adrenaline!!"

I'm not trying to ruin it for anyone, I enjoy both shows, IRT more for the laughs.
I can see the appeal though, many times I had tried to explain to people from the south how they drive big rigs on frozen lakes

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
On another forum Jerry Hall posted this http://www.komonews.com/news/local/41239732.html
Seems the state wants their share, and does not like their logs being taken for free with out permits

Oh man ! :Banghead thats what your 15 minutes of fame can do for you :mad:

At least it seems like a genuine mistake, though they do say ignorance is no excuse. Hope it doesnt work out tooooo expensive for him.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I can't believe anyone would be that dumb to take logs out of the river bed without checking on the applicable laws. Not too many years ago another outfit got busted for taking logs out of Lake Washington which is between Seattle and Bellevue. There was a big stink then and I can't see how anyone in the business wouldn't have known about it.

The proceeds for state timber harvests are designated for public schools. As far as I'm concerned those guys were stealing supplies from our kids.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
The proceeds for state timber harvests are designated for public schools. As far as I'm concerned those guys were stealing supplies from our kids.

I understand where your coming from but how long were they going to sit on the river bed ? a month, a year, forever?

farmboy555

Occupation
Owner Operator
That's bulls___ the logs belonged to a private company when they where dumped in the river to start with. You find something in the middle of the road does it automaticly belong to the state. They worked hard to get them out, just like the logger's did years ago to cut the and skid them to the river.:ban