• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Backhoe Vibration Question

DavidM88

I have a Case 590 Construction King and recently noticed a Vibration/rubbing while I was driving. The Vibration/rubbing will stop when the backhoe is in park but will return if the RPM is increased. It feels/sounds like it is coming underneath me, so I inspected the driveshaft but all U-joints are solid. I also noticed that if you lift the backhoe on its outriggers and place the backhoe into drive, that the left rear wheel will rotate at a much slower rate than the right rear wheel. Any suggestions on what may cause these two issues? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

JD8875

The rear wheels rotating at different speeds is due to an open/unlocked differential in the rear end. That's completely normal. It allows the machine to turn corners and maneuver without scrubbing one tire or binding the driveline. As far as the rubbing sound I'd look for the simple things first. Brakes work? Do they work evenly? Check the oil in the rear diff/transmission. Is this a newly developed issue on a machine you've had for some time or an existing issue on a machine new to you?

Let's start there.
John

DavidM88

The rear wheels rotating at different speeds is due to an open/unlocked differential in the rear end. That's completely normal. It allows the machine to turn corners and maneuver without scrubbing one tire or binding the driveline. As far as the rubbing sound I'd look for the simple things first. Brakes work? Do they work evenly? Check the oil in the rear diff/transmission. Is this a newly developed issue on a machine you've had for some time or an existing issue on a machine new to you?

Let's start there.
John

Hi John, thank you for the reply. I've had the backhoe for about 2 yrs now, I purchased it from the bank as a repo to use around the farm. The problem started a couple weeks ago. I pulled the dipstick for the transmission and fluid levels are good. Regarding the brakes, when I first bought the backhoe the brakes did not work. So, last year I replaced the master cylinders and broke the rear end apart to replace both friction plates. After those repairs, I only managed to get one brake working and when I do brake, it makes a grinding sound. But the vibration/rubbing sound is a new issue that arose, it wasn't doing it before.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
Tires in good shape ,wheel bearings ok ,steering hub ok no wobble ,tires on tight,noise coming from diffs.