• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
TS, you still have own Timing Set? Mine went to sale a few years after left the last garage. Kept small tools and 3/4 torque wrench but not the expensive ticket stuff.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
KING of the Tool Owns!!! Damn. I always thought having DD and Cummins tooling like that was great, cost me a bundle in the day, dared NOT lend out and when sold was to the last Open shop had worked at. That and a few assorted Cat Timing pins/small specific tooling(Spline Sockets) did not feel a need to keep.

KW Leaves, all that tooling goes to JY.

Truck Shop

KING of the Tool Owns!!! Damn. I always thought having DD and Cummins tooling like that was great, cost me a bundle in the day, dared NOT lend out and when sold was to the last Open shop had worked at. That and a few assorted Cat Timing pins/small specific tooling(Spline Sockets) did not feel a need to keep.

KW Leaves, all that tooling goes to JY.
Only DD stuff I have is Series 60. And a few cat odds and ends.

Truck Shop

Started at 7 am, set and torqued cylinder heads, set injector cam timing, installed accessory
drive cover, set cam end play, installed accessory drive. Parts showed for compressor, already
honed ready to go, installed rings/piston, crank and front support, assembled unloader finished
install, and painted a bunch of stuff. which included a trip to napa.
Timing was quick guessed at .032 of gaskets which is a total of two at .016 each.
Dead on at .070 nominal injector travel on all #1-#3-#5. I've done so many through the years
that using the 1596 offset key it's a very good bet to stack two at .032 to start with. 80% of
the time travel comes out at 70 or 71. Using only one .016 gasket usually comes in at .074
travel retarded/slow.
Oh was out of there by 1.

Truck Shop

Much more efficient than I.
Weekend no interruptions. I got the heads back Thursday morning at 4 am. But I had a phone
call the night before about running to Moses Lake-Simplot to bring one home. Simplot has a
really bad dock to bump there, blindside with some real bad obstacles plus it was a new driver
{old guy but new to company}. Anyway he rolled a little to far forward in the dock {the ramp
breaks over at end of ramp causing high centers if driver isn't on the ball}. Well he wasn't and
ripped dollar size holes in both fuel tanks and skinned up a air tank. Fuel tanks were 1/4 full.
So I hooked one in Pasco, hauled it to ML drug the dead one from under trailer rehooked.
Had some used tanks from a wreck last Jan so spent 2.5 hrs Friday morning changing those
and repairing air tank straps.
Now for figuring cost of tow. Nationally the operating expense across the board, including all
license fees, insurance, permits, fuel, tires and so on is $1.69 to $1.72 average. To make any
money to cover future expense and owner profit the rig has be making another .75 cents a
mile to be profitable, so figure $2.50 at base, best margins are $2.75 to $3.00 per mile.
That tow was billed out on a radius which is floating, the further out the less per mile the
closer the more per mile. Total mileage was 245 @ 4.25 per-mile=1,041.25 divided by 6 =
173.50 an hour. The tow truck gets 8.0 to the gallon which it burned 30.6=$150.00,
My wages at 6 hrs $270.00-So 420 in direct expense which leaves $621.25 to the truck.
In order to constantly know money is being gathered-operating expense needs to be subjected
to a radius figure to keep a steady rate of return, no matter the business. Just throwing
a hourly rate doesn't do it.------It's my thread and all comments can be keep to themselves.
Because I know folks just can't help themselves.
but what is really cool-that truck is covered under freightliner coverage on tows, Freightliner
will pickup most of the tab. But you don't want to gouge them over the bill Freightliner doesn't
like that.

Truck Shop

See this item--a engine lifting eye for 855 Cummins, part # 170226. Dumb F@cking mechanics
for years when doing overhead adjust or rebuilding jakes or replacing head gasket or injectors,
would just toss these. Like who gives a sh!t, it's in my way don't want to be bothered with
putting it back together correctly, so toss it over the shoulder kick it around on the floor awhile.
Never mind the fact it's needed for removing/installing engine.
This one is very used--for sale on ebay for $54.00 plus shipping, new from Cummins $90.00,
Average price new aftermarket 75 to 80 bucks plus shipping. For a stamped out piece, that
is what greed inflation does folks, the spacers that go below it $30.00. I would like to shove
one of these up the a$$ of every mechanic that left it off including the owner operator, at least
then I would know where to find some.
s-l1600.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
And there was Freightliner in the 70s installing FARR box air cleaners on top on engines in COEs, moved the front one to the absolute rear or did away with at factory, spacers missing so had to scabbage one or two for engine pulls, great days for truck builders.

Truck Shop

And there was Freightliner in the 70s installing FARR box air cleaners on top on engines in COEs,
Freightliners that had those type air cleaners came with a little fabric bag that had two lifting
eyes in it from factory, but like everything that happens--driver{ what are these for? after a
few months bouncing around in side box in the garbage those went.

RocketScott

I have one if you need it

It was $45 off fleabay when I bought it. The shop that pulled my engine in Ellensburg didn't have them and I was scrambling to get the engine out. They ended up borrowing some from another shop and not using this one

My buddy that worked for Cummins said they would routinely only use one. If the trans was still attached it balanced pretty well on the back lifting bracket. Seems like a lot of weight for a single bracket

What are the spacers that go below it for? I don't remember needing those

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Always preferred the Cummins made Lifting Bar thru BOTH eyes, been there with chains and a home made bar but not the same.

RocketScott

It was Mobile Fleet Service at the time. Now Bruckner’s

They were hesitant to pull it at first but ended up pretty easy to deal with. I did have to drive up there from Tacoma just to point out that the power steering lines were backwards. They couldn’t get it to move after putting it back in. Can’t really complain though. They let my truck and trailer sit there for months while I rebuilt the engine
EaVhHrcm.jpeg