• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

RocketScott

Right on. Well, it's here if you want a spare

I found the boring tool at an auction place. Looked like .gov surplus. Metal box with an NSN on it. Had never been used, parts still in wax. Not sure what else it does, there are all sorts of adapters with it. It was cheaper to buy that and rebuild my pump than buy a reman

How tall are the spacers? I'm having a hard time picturing how those work and why they're needed. Can't find reference to them on quickserve. IIRC there were three different stud heights on the bolts

Truck Shop

How tall are the spacers? I'm having a hard time picturing how those work and why they're needed. Can't find reference to them on quic
3/4," The depth of the bolting area on SC & BC, was used to raise the lift bracket so the holes
for chain or hooks was above rocker covers. N14 doesn't use them.
If you look in this Cummins online military manual-scroll about 7/8 the way through and you will
find all the Cummins special tooling, along with part numbers for every nut and bolt, seal, all
parts and pieces. covers BCI---BCIII. I have BCII also same basic list.

Truck Shop

Was going to get top end finished this morning, installed injectors, crossheads and adjusted,
fuel links, push tubes, set rocker boxes on and my phone rang--Stopped to tow one to
La Grande, so made some cash and lost some time, but managed after I got back to finish
torquing rockers and set overheads, then turned the lights out.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
So it will be building oil pressure tomorrow? I can hear it now, beautiful sound, right off the back of the turbo!!!

Truck Shop

Weekend no interruptions. I got the heads back Thursday morning at 4 am. But I had a phone
call the night before about running to Moses Lake-Simplot to bring one home. Simplot has a
really bad dock to bump there, blindside with some real bad obstacles plus it was a new driver
{old guy but new to company}. Anyway he rolled a little to far forward in the dock {the ramp
breaks over at end of ramp causing high centers if driver isn't on the ball}. Well he wasn't and
ripped dollar size holes in both fuel tanks and skinned up a air tank. Fuel tanks were 1/4 full.
So I hooked one in Pasco, hauled it to ML drug the dead one from under trailer rehooked.
Was just removing engine from stand and my phone rang. First thing tomorrow run to Pas{company-Penske yard} and bring one back---seems another company driver managed to back into another
company tractor and punched a hole in right side tank:p. So another fuel tank swap. And it was
a driver that has allot of miles under his belt, just can't read his mirrors I guess. $3,500 to get the
lot cleaned for 50 gallon spill, cheap.

Welder Dave

That's beautiful!
I know a guy who's main source of income is repairing and building new aluminum fuel tanks for semi's. Last time I went I went to his shop to get some new ports Tig welded on a slave cylinder he must have had a dozen tanks to repair. He does other specialty Tig welding too. He's also the original silver stick maker. He makes solid stainless steel and bronze exact replica hockey sticks for all the NHL teams. He sends them out for all the engraving. I'd imagine they aren't cheap but they are works of art. He has a pic. of Obama holding one when the Stanley Cup champions visited the White House. That's pretty cool seeing something he made in Canada in the White House with the president admiring it.

chidog

Its pretty, very nice paint, what brand of paint do you use?
And did you hot tank the parts to remove old paint?
I'd like to see more pictures of your engine stand set up, did you build it?

Truck Shop

Its pretty, very nice paint, what brand of paint do you use?
And did you hot tank the parts to remove old paint?
I'd like to see more pictures of your engine stand set up, did you build it?
Engine was steam cleaned then washed after machine work at PMS Spokane.
Paint is standard engine paint/spray can from Napa.

Welder Dave

If I lived closer I'd help you build the engine stands for something to do. I think you could get $4000-$4500 and the buyers come pick them up or they arrange the shipping. It's built very heavy duty. My former neighbor had a couple old JD 95 combines that went for scrap when the scrapper came to clean his place up.

Truck Shop

If I lived closer I'd help you build the engine stands for something to do. I think you could get $4000-$4500 and the buyers come pick them up or they arrange the shipping. It's built very heavy duty. My former neighbor had a couple old JD 95 combines that went for scrap when the scrapper came to clean his place up.
I know where 8 more 95 model drives are setting, lots of them around in these parts.

Truck Shop

Salvage yard I have dealt with for years and buy engine kits from was by today taking photos
of that engine for possible sale. They just sold one like it two months ago for 20K.
While there the discussion turned to the possibility of building some engines for them in the
near future. They supply the kits, the rebuildable core Cat, Cummins or Series 60.
Not a for sure thing.