• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

BCIII Cummins Rebuild.

Welder Dave

I wondered why it's only on the left but maybe it was an American thing to do it on both sides or there wasn't enough time to do both sides on a lot of planes, what with a war going on? They are works of art though. I would think they'd want the crews to be well rested before they went out.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Appeared to be a PB4Y, my Dad flew in those and was involved in the shakedown flights of many in '44 before sent to S Pac. He did not mention much of what he saw on bases overseas, Uncle was as tight lipped as were some pretty gruesome scenes was all he would note.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Went back thru Pop's notes, the photo was a B24, Fuselage is shorter cockpit to wing root, NAVAIR had a Engineer Station added made it longer. Lots of both Made. Engine Nacelles on early 24s were oval, that one was a early with Oval Nacelles. This was one of final PB4YsScan_Pic0008.jpg

crane operator

Real frosty in there till I got the waste oil heater going yesterday.
What brand is yours, and does it require outside air compressor? If you don't mind me asking.

I keep looking at them, if nothing else as a way to get rid of used oil. The ones I was around 15-20 years ago were fussy about burning and igniters, and needed outside air.

They certainly haven't gotten any cheaper. And only burning 1,000-1,500 gal of propane a year, its a long payback.

Truck Shop

Energy Logic, it has it's own mini built in compressor. The brand was originally called
{Black Gold} by patent. This one was $7k something.
They certainly haven't gotten any cheaper. And only burning 1,000-1,500 gal of propane a year, its a long payback.
That depends on shop size/high ceilings, and is the door shut most of the time. See in this
shops hey day--in cold weather running trucks in and out that furnace never shut down, ran
all day long. Now in a tiny/little/small/puny construction business repair shop the doors are
mostly closed----1000 to 1500 in propane wouldn't last, be gone in no time. Hell during the
winters back lets say 6 years ago-we would burn 1,500 gallons of waste oil--all off our rigs,
sometimes more.
These units are pretty steady-not too many issues if proper off season maintenance is done.

Truck Shop

That's a big flight crew how did they carry any bombs?
scan_pic0008-jpg.303040

Truck Shop

So went to the shop this morning and temp inside was 58, furnace running perfectly.
Was 6 here this morning.
Already had rods, pistons and rings installed on Friday, so this morning I installed all six
in block and camshaft, having the engine stand I really had to fart around to get a full
1.5 hours on install, cam 10 minutes. The reason I built the stand, too easy. Ready the
rod with bearings, check that rings are in position lube everything set in liner. Roll engine
to vertical install cap torque, roll back to horizontal. I really like being able to do a complete
assembly in my street clothes. Everything is clean no crap to wade in, engine goes together
like clock work, the way I remember years ago when I used a stand. Really after installing
the crank and cylinder kits in this block, I wouldn't do another with out it at my age.
Really any major shop or even a small one is stupid not to have one, the time saved
combined with the safety factor absolutely makes it a must. The best thing I've done for
myself in years.
100_1980.JPG

crane operator

Energy Logic, it has it's own mini built in compressor. The brand was originally called
{Black Gold} by patent. This one was $7k something.

That depends on shop size/high ceilings, and is the door shut most of the time. See in this
shops hey day--in cold weather running trucks in and out that furnace never shut down, ran
all day long. Now in a tiny/little/small/puny construction business repair shop the doors are
mostly closed----1000 to 1500 in propane wouldn't last, be gone in no time. Hell during the
winters back lets say 6 years ago-we would burn 1,500 gallons of waste oil--all off our rigs,
sometimes more.
These units are pretty steady-not too many issues if proper off season maintenance is done.

The new ones I looked at were $14,000

I can buy used ones between 2-$5,000

I can't really justify the 14, and I know the $3,000 ones are going to be older and problematic. It would just be nice when its cold like this to fire it up with free fuel.

Of course, some more insulation in the shop would help.

Glad the stand is working out well.

Truck Shop

The new ones I looked at were $14,000
Well $14,000 things have gone up, The one I posted I installed summer of 2022, bought it
from High Dollar Napa here in town. This one puts out 200,000 BTU IIRC the old Black Gold
unit was 160,000 BTU IIRC. And IIRC the unit with out tank and stand was $7,500.
So there must be some special types only offered in Missouri for $14,000. Hell I never would
have ordered if it was that much.

Truck Shop

Never buy a used waste oil heater, it will be beat to hell
Not beat-------------burnt to hell---the fire chamber will be burned out.
Correction.
But it will be beat---as far as not many know how to work on one. First thing thrown away
is the trouble shooting manual.

cfherrman

I had my hands install a propane heater and when they were done I saw the manual open and out.

I was surprised and said wow you guys followed the directions, my hand said no they just set it there and that's how it landed open...... haha

Truck Shop

Working along this morning finishing cleaning/assembling oil cooler, seals bushings in accessory
drive cover, rear crank seal. Then office calls {you busy we got a trailer at columbia cold store
can't move it's brakes are froze and no one in the area to make a service call} ok I'll go take a
look. So drive 50 miles, three company drivers scratching their a$$ walking around looking hungry.
They beat the hell out of four drums trying to free the brakes, only problem was the brakes
were not froze to drums, air system was froze and not releasing. So caged the two axles, third
was ok and moved it to Penske shop.
Now the issue here is three drivers two with about 12 years between them, had to pass airbrake
test/cdl, all three didn't know, didn't look, didn't check to see if releasing. Now I have a issue with
the fact that drivers also are brake inspectors under the cdl requirements for air brake.
My Happy A$$ they are.-----I wasn't going to lay under a frozen trailer I told myself--I told myself-
I told myself.