• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Big Crushing problem! Ideas needed please?

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
We have a customer with an order for 100,000 (Metric) tonnes of boulder of this grade:
100% passing D449mm (17.67")
50% passing D399mm (15.7")
Each boulder must have at least one broken face so that means it must be crushed or split to size.

Our customer has plenty of big river boulders to supply the amount required after processing but he really wants a tracked crusher or other device which he can move around the pit floor - otherwise he's got to invest heavily in other plant to load and move the bouders to the processor and time won't allow for the work of building a static plant anyway.

With a volume like that all I can think of is a big primary crusher able to open up to say 400mm (15.75") and from what I can see in our own limited library only a Nordberg LT140 is able to do that. Any other ideas? Anyone have an LT140 or a big Allis or something similar that can open to 15-16" ? I'll buy from anyone, anywhere.

Thanks, Gordon

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
He also has to supply 20,000 metric tonnes of D624 - D450 but at that smaller volume we figure an excavator mounted tool would do. We know about hammers/breakers of course but is there any new tool more suited anyone knows of which might be better - easier on the excavator?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
No problem...

Go for this one:
Haahjem CTC 1511 in a configuration with after decks to your needs.
There is 3 dif modells to choose from. After how many decks u want.

Has a inntake of 1500 x 1100.

Produces rock in the size of 150-450, or other smaller sizes.
This product is made to produse waterbuilding rocks directly in the quarry/on site.(Offshore rock around oilplattforms)
Chrusher is splittable, heaviest piece is apr. 150 .000 lbs :eek:
Around 290 000 lbs in weight assembled.

Producer claims its the worlds biggest mobile crusher with decks...:D
It can be run with the onboard generator or with a cable...

Here is the link:
http://www.haahjem.no/index.php?pid=CTC1511&mid=belteknusere
They are exporting around the world, and i mean they got orders for this modell to Russia.

Attachments

• haahjem1.jpg
    haahjem1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 2,252
  • haahjem.jpg
    haahjem.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,262
  • haahjem3.jpg
    haahjem3.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 2,294
  • haahjem4.jpg
    haahjem4.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 2,255

hvy 1ton

thats the biggest track crusher i've ever seen. at almost 150 tons i wouldn't want to use anywhere but a quarry. It' might sink in anything, but granite. :rolleyes:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
This one was delivered in 2006.
I havent found info on others delivered, but they say between the lines that there is a order for some to Russian quarries.
Quarry owners look at theese, when the transport length to their old main crusher is getting to long.
Or on realy big sites where its a demand for huge amounts of big aggregates.
And of course, something eating 1500x1100(5'x3,6') makes no use for a rock hammer...

A reduction in the size of the transport trucks, and some finnished products ready at the quarry front is also positive.

They have a 1200x1100 modell too, weighing in at only 220 000 Lbs.(130'+90' units)

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Thats a monster al right, but I question whether or not it will produce the required product. As slow as it may seem, I think a large hammer or 2 on excavators makes more sense.
Just pick out the oversized rocks with a wheel loader, preferably with a skeleton bucket, and bring them to the excavator for splitting, then keep pushing them up, or loading them out as they are produced.

I think your crusher will make them too small.

Rockbreaker

This one was delivered in 2006.
I havent found info on others delivered, but they say between the lines that there is a order for some to Russian quarries.
Quarry owners look at theese, when the transport length to their old main crusher is getting to long.
Or on realy big sites where its a demand for huge amounts of big aggregates.
And of course, something eating 1500x1100(5'x3,6') makes no use for a rock hammer...

A reduction in the size of the transport trucks, and some finnished products ready at the quarry front is also positive.

They have a 1200x1100 modell too, weighing in at only 220 000 Lbs.(130'+90' units)

Hey there MKTEF!

Think you are swimming deep water on this one..
The producer went bankrupt after delivery of that monster and the company that bought it have had to put in a large amount of money to keep it running.
And now they are bankrupt too:eek:

The idea is great but taking out s many different size of material has proven to be a major headace for the people using it.
And they produced almost 1 million tonns on a years production with it.

And spend 16 hours producing and 8 hours reparing per day:(

Was used in a quarry (Kragerø) producing material used in Denmark,Germany and some of the former Russian States.

95% of the production in the quarry goes out by boat:cool:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I have registrered the facts u are pointing out.
I noticed they had to replace the whole electrical system on it... And that they spent a year with problems....

Is Haahjem bankrupt? Or have they just started it up again in aslightly different company name?
I understood it like one of the undersuppliers of Haahjem was bankrupt??

And the owner went bankrupt 21/8-08, i bet u got inside information here!

On edit: I found that you are right, Haahjem Base AS was bankrupt in 2007, Haahjem as is up and going, and they advertise this beast on their webpage...

Last edited:

Rockbreaker

Only know this much beacuse this crusher has been workin in a quarry owned by the same firm i work in.

And there was some engine problems too..

The company i have rented to crush in my quarry called that crusher by some bad names and had no faith in the consept:eek:
They think that a crusher that size only shall produce one singel fraction (0-250mm)
And they are the number one operators on this type of equipment too,so i listen to the exerience they have:)

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
This is interesting news rockbreaker, and highly appreciated, very valuable information. I'm gouing to Stein Expo next week and had hoped to find Haahjem there. Maybe I can buy this machine for not much and make it work the way we want it. Anyway, any big tracked jaw crusher with the capability of an OSS of 450mm should be ok for this particular application. It is not for blasted rock, but for river boulders.

Another member suggests using breakers, but I think that for 100,000 tonnes it would be far too slow for so many reasons, too many men needed, too much wear and tear on the excavators, too operator dependent, and my guy has already tried it. Thanks, Gordon

Nac

Occupation
Construction
You can try a sure stike hammer I bet that would work. Or why not just drill and split a lot of oversized work is done that way

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
I once - back in the 80's - ran a small crew continuously drilling and blasting boulders. I think labour is a little expensive today and the skill levels of knowing where to drill to get the sizes needed might test the young guys of today who might want to work at a job like this.
That surestrike certainly looks like it has possibilities though, I used to hand split rocks with what we called a 'spalding' hammer just to keep fit - also many years ago - and to learn about rock grain, and this is a mechanical extension of that. I'm going to check it out, thanks, Gordon

Nac

Occupation
Construction
Also you can try a set up like mine a rock drill attachment on a mini excavator and a couple hydrauilc splitters.

Attachments

• I Phone 251.1.jpg
    I Phone 251.1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,165
  • P1120016.jpg
    P1120016.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,222
  • P1120003.jpg
    P1120003.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 1,261

JDOFMEMI

I understand your point of the breakers being too time consuming, but on the other hand is the economics of the project. I do not know what the market is there for this type of stone, but here you would be hard pressed to get much more than $25 per ton, FOB quarry for this type of stone. That would give $2.5MM revenue, and I suspect a tracked jaw crusher with the size to perform that task would eat up most of that $$. With a good operator, and a large breaker, 750 to 1000 ton per day would not be uncommon. That would be 100 days with 1 machine, 50 with 2, etc. Add some loaders to stockpile and loadout, and you are in good shape.
Besides, I still think that even with the large OSS setting, you would find much of your rock being broken too small.
There is one other small issue, and that is what a steady diet of that size rock, with no fines to cushion them, will do to any type of equipment. Feeders, conveyors, rollers, etc. do not like that size rock.
See the pic above with the track jaw in the large quarry stones, and all you see coming out is about minus 6". Much larger on the discharge side, and you will have a steady flow of problems, and not so steady flow of material.
I know sorting and breaking this size is slow, but it is at least steady, and when practiced, it can be very productive with relatively common machines, not a huge specialized expensive piece that will be hard to move, hard to get parts for in a timely manner, and hard to generally keep running.

Just my $0.02 worth.

dumptrucker

You can try a sure stike hammer I bet that would work. Or why not just drill and split a lot of oversized work is done that way

A local quarry here has one that they have had for about ten years. They claim it works great with little wear and tear on the machine, and is much faster than the hydraulic hammer. They also say that the fuel usage is much less using a surestrike.

Sharky

We had a Surestrike attached to our 988B. With a good operator you can get fair production. A hoe feeding and another guy breaking. Attached to a big hoe would work as well I suppose. I think with a good driller, a guy could get the bulk of the material from the blast itself, and then the oversize could be broken down smaller. We did a breakwater job and needed 50,000 ton of oversized, Our driller used a known pattern for rip rap with "Dummie" bags placed between the sticks in the rock. I dont remember his exact method, but helped load the shot. It came out nicely with lots of 2-4' rock.

A crusher of the size pictured would be hell expensive and would give you too much undersize material. I could not imagine 15'' rocks pouring off a pay belt.:beatsme

Flash2004

Occupation
Boss
Thanks for all of your valuable input guys. I went to the Stein Expo in Germany and discussed the problem with a lot of manufaturers. You know what? I think the surestrike is the best answer - especially for the $. I pointed Surestrike at this forum and they've let me know they were impressed with what they saw in here too. cheers Gordon