• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Borkjerky

I have a 1990 Ford Newholland 555c, and I'd like to add a block heater. Messicks shows a couple parts, however I'm not clear on how or where I would install them. My service manual shows an optional cold start aid in the form of a canister that injects starting fluid , yet does not address (or I just cannot find) a block heater (aka "frost plug"?). In the pictures I posted I guess I'm looking at two options. Any help on the difference in the pictures and a direction on install would be greatly appreciated.
Screenshot_20220111-044401_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20220111-044412_Samsung Internet.jpg

aighead

I'm interested in this as well... There are several other posts talking about block heaters but I don't really know where one gets plugged into the block. I imagine there may be several options. When you open the hole the block heater goes into is a bunch of fluid going to come pouring out?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
The block heater in your pics go into the block where a cup plug is currently located. In other words, you remove the existing cup plug (AKA freeze out plug) and the heater takes the place of it. Below is an example I took from the internet. On the left side you can see right after the starter a shiny new block heater element. On the right side of the pic, just past the carb. you can see an old cup plug.

OIP.r81cLRaFaBm9dwWLDziahwHaFm

These block heaters are sized to match the size of the existing cup plug. So, you are not bound to the dealer on this item. All you need to do is find out what size cup plugs are in the block and purchase the heater. As an additional note, they do make different wattage units. This may be a consideration in very cold climates or where AC power is in short supply.

upload_2022-1-11_6-58-0.png
upload_2022-1-11_6-57-36.png

Looking at this drawing that I copied from Messick's: #1 is a European 220 volt heater. #6 is a dual unit. The second #6 is a complete kit for single heater. #7 is just the heater, no cord. The second #6 is the one I suggest. It is a single unit with the cord. That said, it appears that in #1, they state that the cup plug size is 1.50". With this information, you could buy aftermarket if it is cheaper.

I did a search and this is what came up...Not advocating Amazon here, just showing an example.

https://www.amazon.com/Zerostart-3100040-Lincoln-Diameter-Approved/dp/B002UNAU6O/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3I49KV34QZCFG&keywords=1.5"+block+heater&qid=1641902617&s=automotive&sprefix=1.5+block+heater,automotive,84&sr=1-4

Last edited:

Delmer

What swetz said. There is coolant in there, drain the block before punching out the old plug. Use a nail set to punch through the center, then pry sideways and out. It's soft thin steel designed to go in easy and isn't hard to remove. Look at the catalog for the proper hole to install first, some newer engines only fit in certain places. They're great for cold weather, engines crank and start so much easier with a little warmth. Some would say you need to heat the oil also, but the oil stuck to the crank and cylinders is warm if the coolant is warm, and the cold oil sucked up will be warm in no time if it's running on a warm crank. Some will say to unplug before starting, they don't like to be plugged in while the engine is running.

aighead

Thanks guys. I need to go take a picture of the side of my engine to make sure I understand where it goes, though I think I generally do.

I assume, in cold weather, you leave them plugged in any time it's parked and not running? How long do they take to heat things up, a few hours?

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
Some will say to unplug before starting, they don't like to be plugged in while the engine is running

I have heard the same...something to do with small bubbles that will circulate in the cooling system when the engine is running. I have never personally left a block heater plugged in once the engine is running...don't see the reason to, the engine is already running and making its own heat:). Speaking of heat, a block heater will aid in getting cab heat in a quicker timeframe:p

While talking of leaving plugged in...do NOT plug in the heater if your cooling system is full!!! The heater will work real great for about 20 seconds until it is kaput!!:mad:

I assume, in cold weather, you leave them plugged in any time it's parked and not running? How long do they take to heat things up, a few hours?

I personally would not leave it plugged in all the time...lotta electric being used. A couple of hours (2 to 3) and it should be ok. If you use your tractor every day at a certain time (mostly applies to professional use, not homeowner) you could put a timer on it to start at a certain time so it is warm when you are ready to use it.

doublewide

20 minutes on mine are all they need. I believe its important to make sure that the heating element is not touching any part of the block. Insert and rotate to make sure it does not contact any internal block webs or such that could cause it to ground out. My John Deere has a hex plug to remove specifically for the heater. My Ford has the metal freeze plug as shown above.

doublewide

I've also heard that the freeze plug type are prone to rot off and drop into the block. I have not had this problem. Some would say the tank style is better for this reason.

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
I've also heard that the freeze plug type are prone to rot off and drop into the block. I have not had this problem. Some would say the tank style is better for this reason.

I kinda feel like that may be a service problem...If you do not change antifreeze, the cup plugs rot out too.

56wrench

Phillips-TEMRO makes core-plug type block heaters as well as other types. Google them. They have an on-line catalogue but its not that great. Most auto parts stores can get them. A couple things to be aware of. The orientation of the element(which way it is clocked) is somewhat important. The installation instructions usually state the proper way. The element can not touch any part of the cylinder casting inside the water jacket. Just because it fits the hole doesn't mean its the right one. There may be differences in the length and protrusion of the elements. The core-plug hole must be clean and not pitted in order to seal correctly. Usually cleaning with fine emery cloth works. One of these immersion-type heaters works well if they are installed in the recommended location. Usually only a few hours is needed to allow easy starting unless its -40, then longer. I quite often put mine on a timer to save electricity costs, especially if i have several plugged in at the same time. The recirculating heaters work very well if they are installed correctly. Unplug the heater before you start it, that way you won't forget it and drive away with it still plugged in-i've seen that happen a few times lol. Do not leave it plugged in after you start it. I have heard that it is hard on the element and can cause premature failure; i don't know but in my opinion its not worth the risk. If plugged in over a long distance, you need a heavy-gauge extension cord to avoid as much voltage-drop at the block heater as possible. Lastly, on some engines, i like to use an oil-pan heater also, especially if the engine has 15w-40 oil in it. In that case leave both the block heater and the oil-pan heater plugged in overnight. The block heater cord has to be in good shape and make good contact to work properly and avoid a fire hazard. You don't want to burn down your machine or the shed it may be stored in. Good luck on the installation:)

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
My father did service work for the local electrical service provider NB Power. One common issue was replacing block heaters. Any of the crews that would start their trucks in the morning and let them warm up without unplugging them, would have the elements fail at least once a season. He always taught me to unplug before you start. It's not expensive to leave them plugged in. Our loaders, and there are 14 of them stay plugged in all winter. I think the kilowatt hour rating is on the cord, then check your bill and see what your rate is. Here, it would be about $4.08 a day to be plugged in 24hrs, so $123 a month, which isn't a lot of money when it comes to machinery, but I guess it comes down to money in your pocket vs money in theirs.

Last edited:

Borkjerky

Great info. Thanks to everyone for weighing in. What are your guys thoughts on just getting a kerosene torpedo heater and pointing it under the block for a few?

Delmer

It's a lot easier to plug it in. A tank type heater is usually easier to install, but it's not that bad to put in a core plug block heater, they're more efficient also, not that it matters unless you accidentally leave it on for a while.

Jonas302

Great info. Thanks to everyone for weighing in. What are your guys thoughts on just getting a kerosene torpedo heater and pointing it under the block for a few?

Not a terrible idea considering your climate isn't that cold and if you have time to keep an eye on it while heating it will heat up quick and crank over faster with the oil pan warm if you shoot the torpedo heater from the bottom I attach an elbow to direct the flow of hot air sometimes you have to go though the side panels if there isn't much exposure on the bottom and sure doesnt hurt to do it on the intake side

I do much prefer a block heater but sometimes they burn out or need to be started in a remote location out comes the torpedo heater

aighead

The torpedo heater is going to be my option for the time being as well. I can usually work around the weather but sometimes it's nice to get things done when it's cold out!

Borkjerky

I'm going to give the torpedo heater a go this Saturday: it's supposed to be 14 degrees. There are two reasons right now I want to start it in the cold. First, this is my first backhoe, and cold starting is something I want to overcome. Second, I need to fire it up so I can bleed my hydrostatic steering system, as I have recently changed a seal. I like dual purpose things, so I can use the torpedo heater for more than just warming up the diesel block. Seems like the win win if I have to spend money.

Jonas302

Here are the spouts we use to direct the heaters I really like the longer one one the big heater as it keeps fire danger down and gets right where yoou need to be of course use great caution and dont leave unattended

Attachments

• 20220114_082142.jpg
    20220114_082142.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220114_082135.jpg
    20220114_082135.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19