• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia built logging equipment, obscure makes....

MikeW79

performer-002.jpg

A new Performer at a Logging Conference somewhere in the North West circa late 50's?

performer-003.jpg

Maketing Sheet Front Page

performer-004.jpg

Back Page

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
The Opsal Steel Building is one of the last remaining original structures from the logging equipment manufacturing era in Vancouver. I remember the Osco blocks from my Y & L days - especially the " Tommy Moores" that we used when we towered up the yarders. I drove by this building many times over the years, hoping some bugger wouldn't burn it down and it would seem that my wish has come true. They're in the process of rebuilding it into a mixed residential/commercial unit, and I hope to be able to drive by and see the old sign on the wall when it's done. Too bad more of these places weren't saved. Another discovery of mine was in one of the old parking barns on Granville Island. Up on the wall was a sign which said Vancouver Iron & Engineering Works (VIEW - makers of the Sparmatic). I've tried to find the sign again several times over the years but to no avail. Wonder where it went.

I have to relate a conversation that I had today. I was copying a logging manual today at a store, and I noticed a familiar face at the next machine. This was a lady, who previously worked with my spouse - we started to chat. She noticed what I was doing and commented that her Daughter and a few other UBC Forestry students had tried to put together a proposal to convert the above building into a Forestry Museum - when the reconstruction was in the planning stage. They applied for funding but were turned down..... The dream died right there it would seem. Too bad that all this history is never going to have a place to be displayed.

skadill

Euclid Rock truck with a B.C. twist.From the RB sale a week ago. GW Cox and Sons Logging

Attachments

• DSCN0558.jpg
    DSCN0558.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 2,485
  • DSCN0553.jpg
    DSCN0553.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 2,693

skadill

Euclids

Some neat off highway oddballs.Shared picture,dont know the details,looks old though.

Attachments

• old  pictures.jpeg.jpg
    old pictures.jpeg.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 3,183

trakloader

Some neat off highway oddballs.Shared picture,dont know the details,looks old though.

Those look like purpose built loggers. Euclid dabbled in logging trucks from time to time over the years, always in small quantities. I seem to recall that they only built three of one model. Cattermole Trethewey ran some. There was one outfit in BC that ran them for years, but I can't remember their name. I'll find out.

Last edited:

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
I remember hearing that there were Euclids in Narrows Inlet at one time, 35 tonners. And that a Dan Arnison had some in Squamish, maybe the same ones?

skadill

I remember hearing that there were Euclids in Narrows Inlet at one time, 35 tonners. And that a Dan Arnison had some in Squamish, maybe the same ones?

I saw a Euclid logger along the highway in a yard in Squamish around 1994,its partialy barely visible in the background of a Hayes I took a pic of.I thought it so so "out there" and didnt fit in that I purposely didnt photo it then,oops.There is a pic of one in a book I have that says W.L.W. Contracting on it

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
In 2000 in Squamish, I saw 2 that were parked / parted out - sadly they were all most scrapped

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
There was one parked in Campbell River last year but that may have been GW Coxs .Will look today as I go by.

HDX

I just gotta figure out how to convert pics so they can be posted here !!!! I was lookin at some of them I had stashed away for quite some years and all I can say is HOLY COW Some bell ringers. That LT 4 unit above was at the Marine Link barge ramp just north of Campbell River when she came down from wherever she was and had about a 60 foot reach and a seven foot "Bullprick" I couldnt help but think what a pleasure that baby would be to come off the top with. It had to be used on the lowlands some where doing bullcook stuff. The Ultimate "Penalty Box"

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
In 2000 in Squamish, I saw 2 that were parked / parted out - sadly they were all most scrapped
On the Kenworth thread, pics 181, the Euc in the back ground has green parts on it from one of those trucks in Squamish, we used that old girl for hauling debrie from the sort, took quite a beating. Before Powell Daniels got it a road builder had it, remember it up in Secuity Bay, sorry can't recall the name right now. Do remember that some one scratched their name and date into the dash was 1966.

skadill

The original Single Axle Euclid.

Euclid at Alaska Pine Co.Lima shovel,Moresby camp,Cumshewa Inlet 1958

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 2,487

trakloader

Euclid at Alaska Pine Co.Lima shovel,Moresby camp,Cumshewa Inlet 1958

That big Lima crane, it's almost identical to the one Grandpa ran. They were originally draglines used for dredging river gravel for capping roads. Since they were big and could lift a lot, they started converting them to loaders in the 50's. Some got those Young Bohemian Booms, others got railroad track added to the original crane booms. That's what they did on Grandpa's, but the boom eventually collapsed with a huge spruce under it. That Euclid is neat. I think it may be a converted rock truck, since it seems to have a short wheelbase. The purpose built logger had a longer frame. Hard to tell from that angle, though. Interesting that it has a preload trailer, too.

Moresby Camp had some unusual equipment. I found an Eimco overshot loader there. I guess they used it for loading gravel trucks.

trakloader

Horrible Old Debris Truck

Hey HDX, how'd you like to trade H-17 for THIS fine piece of machinery? :D It appears that someone went to the trouble of converting a 1940's Euclid to tandems, and created this monument to bungee cords, haywire, and black tape. I think this was at Dinan Bay, but I'm not sure. :confused: Maybe DBDLS will know all about it. Notice the Poclain loading it looks to be brand new, must be late 70's.

Attachments

• slides 07131.jpg
    slides 07131.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,134
  • slides 06431.jpg
    slides 06431.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,130
  • slides 06231.jpg
    slides 06231.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,204

trakloader

That's really neat, Cam! I didn't know that Pacific made those rubber mounts. I saw a picture once of an identical one under a Northwest, didn't think it was a Pierce, but had no idea. Any more treasures like that in your collection?

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
There is still some stuff put away, mostly still in PR, so a little hard to get to. Have one you'd like of a wall map of Canadian Kenworth showing all their dealerships across Canada, being tacked to my old bedroom door for 35 years. going out sometime this sumer.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Old Euclid logging brochure

Attachments

• Euclids3.jpg
    Euclids3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,908
  • Euclids4.jpg
    Euclids4.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,927
  • Euclids2.jpg