• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

callingtheshop

Bedspring Bridge:
This has sure brought back some memories to me. About 1970 on my Ossa trials motorbike I saw part of the far side and it looked like it was hanging down and broken. My heart was in my mouth as I was going way too fast to even think of stopping and then I saw the whole bridge. What a rush! Several months later in my pickup truck I took my wife to experience it. Thanks for posting this bridge.

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The first picture is the Three Rivers Creek Trestle . When the logging rail road was lifted in 1958 , the rail grade and trestle continued to be used to haul logs over . In 1966 the useful life of the trestle was coming to an end . The gorge that the trestle crossed required major a structure to replace the existing bridge . A plan to build a Haul Road up the West side of the creek and bridge the Three Rivers Cr. at better location and join up with the Three Rivers Cr. M/L on the East side of the Creek was developed . The Engineering crew laid out the new road , The area west of the bridge had been "Logged" in the late 1950's . A Cat operator started building the new road in the Summer of 1966 . The next pictures show how far the grade was built . The rock formation in that area is shale and slate , following the grade stakes on the center line the operator was cutting in to the high side and building up the low side . There was an old log that was left on the grade , The Cat operator backed the Cat up to the log and as the Cat Swamper set a choker on the log , what ever was holding up the surface the cat was sitting on broke loose . The whole area the Cat was sitting on started sliding down the side of the ravine as if it was on an elevator . The Cat Skinner who was young , spry and had the quick reactions to bail off the Cat , did so . The marks were on the side hill below the grade level where he scrambled to get back up on to the road grade . The Cat was about 3 years old , a D8 with a U blade , it ended up almost under the Trestle submerged in a pool of water . The Cat dropped straight down landing upright in the water , still running . I worked on the crew that recovered the wrecked Cat . A skyline was rigged up and the heal blocks used to tighten the skyline on the "Skidder" using the "Line Horse" to raise the Cat and another Cat to pull it up the East side of the gorge . The "U blade" and "Arms" came up in 2 pieces and the Cat came up intack . I carried the operators tool box (which had stayed on the Cat ) up to the roadside , the only damage or loss was a broken ballpeen hammer handle. The Cat was a total write off .

Attachments

• scan247.jpg
    scan247.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 55
  • scan248.jpg
    scan248.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 55
  • scan249.jpg
    scan249.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 53
  • scan250.jpg
    scan250.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. I'm not absolutely sure what happened here , but I'm sure it's a Kenworth , and it looks like the Log Truck that tried to pass a paving buggy along the Meadows a couple miles out from the Industrial Site Camp , Summer of 1965 when the Harris Creek M/L was being paved and ended up with the road shoulder giving way and truck on its side .

Attachments

• scan270.jpg
    scan270.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 39

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. This looks to be a picture of a "Yarder" on a new sleigh . The picture was taken in the "old" Harris Creek Camp . The buildings in the back ground is where the logging trucks were parked . The small building on the top left of the Truck shed is the original "Dispatch Shack" . The main haul road use to pass between the back of where the yarder is sitting and the Truck Sheds . Roy Johnson ran a log loader and Raymond "Jumbo" Jones was the "Head Loader " . There was an electrical wire that ran from the Shop , over the Haul Road to the Dispatch Shack . Jumbo and Roy looked at that wire as a challenge . They would build a load of logs high enough to hit the wires and tear them down . The wires would be put back up a little higher . Jumbo and Roy would build a load of logs a little higher . This went on for a few times before the wires were raised high enough that Jumbo and Roy couldn't get them .

Attachments

• scan272.jpg
    scan272.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 38

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. Lift off A Frame log dump on North Arm of San Juan River . Used from early 1950's to early 1960's . Fellow on top of load in second picture is Andy ( can't remember his last name) . He is putting bundling straps on load to keep them together for Booming and "Towing" to Victoria . Log Booms were made up with bundle 5 wide . I can't remember how many rows long . The number 40 bundles to a Boom comes to mind , but I'm not sure .

Attachments

• scan275.jpg
    scan275.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 28
  • scan276.jpg
    scan276.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 27
  • scan277.jpg
    scan277.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 27

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. A mid 1960's attempt to deal with "Short Chunks" . A short trailer was built and tried , but I don't think it worked out as it wasn't around long .

Attachments

• scan278.jpg
    scan278.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 44
  • scan279.jpg
    scan279.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 42
  • scan280.jpg
    scan280.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 42

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. The first picture is a Slackline Tower sending the Carriage and rigging back "empty" . The second picture is the Slackline Carriage being pulled into "Landing" with a "turn of logs" The third picture is the Slackline Carriage being sent back empty , with a pail carrying the rigging crews lunch buckets . ( Note the back spars along the top ridge )

Attachments

• scan285.jpg
    scan285.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 34
  • scan284.jpg
    scan284.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 34
  • scan283.jpg
    scan283.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 34

camptramp

Occupation
Peter Mortensen Collection BCFP Renfrew Div. #762 120 Ft. telescoping Skagit Slackline Steel Tower built in 1965-66 mounted on a "Lowbed" style trailer moved with an Off Highway Preload Logging Truck . Winch is a Skagit Slackline Yarder originally on a Wooden Sled sent to Skagit and mounted on new Tower .

Attachments

• scan295.jpg
    scan295.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 28
  • scan296.jpg
    scan296.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 28
  • scan298.jpg
    scan298.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 28