• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

Born2clearcut

1958 Harris Creek area . Couple young men in the landing , The Cat has some kinda yarding package on the back .

Attachments

• 1958 cat donkeysm.jpg
    1958 cat donkeysm.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 1,495

Born2clearcut

Aug 1960 Port Renfrew. This rig here i have no idea what it is, some type of yarder. This is the only pic i have of it . I see it has guylines a strawline drum and a butt rigging hanging so it must have atleast 2 drums. Would really like to know what this is and why it was lol

Attachments

• aug1960renFrewsm.jpg
    aug1960renFrewsm.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 1,377

HDX

We had one over at Franklin the same Was used as a windrow yarder Worked very well in the right settings They looked funny when towered down kind of like an oil derrick folded up in the middle

Born2clearcut

Ah kool HDX thanks for info .
Maybe it deck this wood in these pics . Looks like they using a old Northwest for a loader

Attachments

• 1958bcdeckwood1.jpg
    1958bcdeckwood1.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 1,301
  • 1958bcdeckwood.jpg
    1958bcdeckwood.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 1,281

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
We had one over at Franklin the same Was used as a windrow yarder Worked very well in the right settings They looked funny when towered down kind of like an oil derrick folded up in the middle

Who was the manufacturer? Powered by the usual 12V71, I assume? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Born2clearcut

Port Renfrew 1961
Truck 212 crossing the San Juan bridge with a new yarder

Attachments

• dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge.jpg
    dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 2,050
  • dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge (1)sm.jpg
    dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge (1)sm.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 1,917
  • dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge (3)sm.jpg
    dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge (3)sm.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 1,912
  • dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge (4).jpg
    dec1961 Renfrew lowbed Truck 212 San jaun bridge (4).jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 1,955

hoglogg

jackd, i thought it might have been a rail before but the rail from the south side of the san jaun was red creek that followed right into renfrew, the one that had bear creek trestle (largest in the comonwealth at the time )... i think the san jaun bridge was built when the switch to trucks happened ,,,

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Next question: How did they load these yarders with skids onto these trucks? I see the back wall of the yarder (truck cab end) is solid, so would they string lines up each side via blocks to drag itself onboard? Would they build a ramp to get it over the rear bunks of the trailer? What kind of yarder is that?

Born2clearcut

Vilgilant - Glad you like the pic's . I'll have more coming just need to do some scanning . jackd - I have a few pic's of this yarder sitting in camp , looks like its setup to be put on a truck ( must scan these pics ). As for the type of yarder i guessing it may be a Washington as described by Jumbo on page 19,post#272 . This machine looks like a updated machine compared too the one on page 18 post#269. hoglogg - you mention the Bear Creek trestle i have a few pic's of the trestle even have one of it being blowen up after it was no longer being used . I can scan and post these pic's if anyone interested seeing the trestle ?? I'll try to get some scanning done this weekend .

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
MMMmmmmmmmmm.......

Trestle pics. :D

I have walked a few old trestles from the days of steam. Great memories.

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Vilgilant - Glad you like the pic's . I'll have more coming just need to do some scanning . jackd - I have a few pic's of this yarder sitting in camp , looks like its setup to be put on a truck ( must scan these pics ). As for the type of yarder i guessing it may be a Washington as described by Jumbo on page 19,post#272 . This machine looks like a updated machine compared too the one on page 18 post#269. hoglogg - you mention the Bear Creek trestle i have a few pic's of the trestle even have one of it being blowen up after it was no longer being used . I can scan and post these pic's if anyone interested seeing the trestle ?? I'll try to get some scanning done this weekend .

Absolutely! Please post more pics! :)

hoglogg

love to see more pics of the bear creek trestle i found the remains of it and the old hwy bridge . bear creek turned into renfrew road that went to shawnigan lake , lots of memories of the area , there was a suspension bridge across williams creek years ago. , it sagged as you drove on it !!

Born2clearcut

Bear Creek trestle
In the mid-1930’s, the San Juan Valley attracted a large scale logging operation. Obtaining timber licenses in the upper reaches of the valley, the Malahat Logging Co. built a railway line from their beach camp, extending 22 km/13.6 miles to beyond the bear Creek Valley. The line followed much the same route as the Red Creek Main Line.
Beach Camp, one of two camps built by them, was located where the present Port Renfrew townsite is today. At the time, the camp had a large shop, a rail line rightaway, an office, a cookhouse, a few homes and bunkhouses for the boommen and railway crews. The second camp, located on the west side of Bear Creek housed the fallers, donkey punchers, high riggers, hooktenders and chokermen, the men who worked to get the timber out of the woods, This camp was built in 1938-39 when construction was started on the Bear Creek Bridge. Standing 242 feet high and spanning 517 feet across, the bridge was, in those days, the highest wooden trestle in the world.
Later in years when the bridge was showing its age, the train crew would send someone across the bridge on foot. Then they would send train with loaded skeleton cars across the bridge unmanned. When it got to other side, they would jump back on. Info from “Hiking through History” taken from internet

Picture 4 you can see the roofs of camp 2 just above the bridge .
The trestle was blowen up on January 30th 1957.

Attachments

• bear trestlesm.jpg
    bear trestlesm.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,742
  • bear creek bridgeoriginalsm.jpg
    bear creek bridgeoriginalsm.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 1,749
  • bear bridgesm.jpg
    bear bridgesm.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 1,755
  • bearcreekblowen up january 30th 1957 (1)sm.jpg
    bearcreekblowen up january 30th 1957 (1)sm.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 1,769
  • bearcreekblowen up january 30th  1957sm.jpg
    bearcreekblowen up january 30th 1957sm.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 1,827
Last edited:

Born2clearcut

hoglogg could this be the Williams Creek bridge you had mentioned ?? If so i think thats alittle more then a sag lol

Attachments

• may59brenfrewsm.jpg
    may59brenfrewsm.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 1,871
  • williams creeksm.jpg
    williams creeksm.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 2,010
  • renfrewbrigesm.jpg
    renfrewbrigesm.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 1,715

hoglogg

probably the one ,,, there were trees around it then so it looked alot different, also it was a long time ago over 30 years ,,, that road went from shawnigan lake to port renfrew , some kids light the williams crrek bridge on fire and that was the end of that route ..the story i heard ? also it went high up into the mountains and was not good in winter ,,, wish the road was still there tho as i live near shawnigan ...thanks for the pics

hoglogg

years ago i was researching the bear creek trestle , i tried to find the bridge on bear creek , the creek was re- named blackney after the engineer that built it , took me a while to figur that out , not much left to see now