• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

British Columbia Forest Products Ltd.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
^^^ Hope the scrappers won't be paying those relics a visit, now that the cat's out of the bag.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if one of those old girls was the same as the one in the above sequence of photos?

Born2clearcut

hoglogg if you see any Spar O matic's or any steel spars and get some good pic's of them we may beable to compare the old ones you find ,to pictures of some new one's ( new at the time )

hoglogg

these are just the 2 huge logs with crossbeam? held together with 3 inch cable and the cable ends where poured lead ends all the winches and metal stuff was long gone , i,ll get back out that way in the next few weeks and take some pics ,,, not much steel for the scrapers also on private gated property (gate was cut open when we went there ) but probably will be fixed soon i would think

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Trying tto figure out what to do when I grow up
Here is a photo of just a cab of a BCFP truck laying in the bush...taken in the spring of 2012

DSC_0458.JPGDSC_0460.JPG

HDX

DerelictTexture Next time you are around that Hayes cab Look around the r/h side of the dash for a small brass tag about 1"X2" It will be screwed on and will have some numbers stamped into it It will be 6-### it is those numbers we need to identify the old girl Also there might be a 3"X6 1/2" (God Forbid) brass plate still screwed to the top R/H side of the dash also with a bunch of numbers stamped into it Try for pics of either one or both It is a 1966-1970 HDX it had an Allison Auto trans in her But I know BCFP had inherited a couple of WHD Hayes's and looking at the torch cut on the side of the cab that is where the bottom arm of the R/H mirror bracket was bolted. However it could have been a brace for the mirror post as well We will all wait right here while you scope it out for us OK Thanks a bunch

DerelictTexture

Occupation
Awesome, I'd love to look at that for you. I'll be back in that neighborhood in a few weeks. I will also check my other photos, I think I have an interior shot of it.

DerelictTexture

Occupation
HDX...here are a few interior shots from the same day...plus a couple of interesting side notes.

There is a tag on the drivers side, but I can't make out what it says...even on the high res images.

I'll post them here and get better ones on the return trip

DSC_0357.JPGDSC_0445.JPGDSC_0462.JPGDSC_0462-1.JPG

HDX

DerelictTexture That is both the right tags right there in the last pic The bottom one will be stamped 6-### and the one above it will have S/N etc Look on the left hand side of the Hayes plate in the picture top will say Model No-- HDX 45-98 or something close and under that it will say Serial No and it will be either a 7 digit or 4 digit number Good Luck We are all waiting LOL. Maybe we can record another one for history! The only thing I gotta ask you to do is just keep its location to yourself due to collectors grabbing these plates for their "Bragging Wall" Many thanks from all of us

pacific#1

Thanks born2clearcut for those pictuers you and your grandpa have do you know what happened to thay american grapple that was on a barge and used in cowichan lake ?

pacific#1

Renfrew

My dad George Phillips retired as master mechanic for BCFP Renfrew division 1987 he started in Bear Creek went to Harris Creek then finally to Beach Camp we have hundreds of photos to post of the beginnings of BCFP in this area. I just found this site and can hardly wait to share the pictures my dad took

Born2clearcut

Welcome Renfrew . I can't wait to see your pictures .I have 100's of pictures also of the same time and area . Taken by my grandfather . Who know's you may have gone to school with my mom . This newspaper clipping is from a local Vancouver Island newspaper of when my grandfather retired ,I'm posting it to give you guys a little insight of the man who took these picture's .

Attachments

• les way retiredsm.jpg
    les way retiredsm.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 1,845

Vigilant

Occupation
I strongly suspect there is a special place in Heaven for loggers. Considering the short few years I spent actually working in the woods, I hope they will give me a guest pass.

Dave Hadden

Occupation
Retired.
My dad George Phillips retired as master mechanic for BCFP Renfrew division 1987 he started in Bear Creek went to Harris Creek then finally to Beach Camp we have hundreds of photos to post of the beginnings of BCFP in this area. I just found this site and can hardly wait to share the pictures my dad took

When did he become Master Mechanic at Renfrew Div?

I left in 1984 (October) when Brian Dickson was MM and Phil Percival and Bob Ceriko were Shop Foremen. I know Phil ended up here in Campbell River and Bob went to another company whose name I can't recall right now and I heard Brian went elsewhere after I left too, so I'm not hip as to when George took over. I'd love to hear what happened to some of those guys.

I'm looking forward to your pics as I have a soft spot in my heart for those years at Renfrew Div, even though commuting from Jordan River to Gordon River after we moved in 1983 was a pain. LOL

Take care.

Rusty Grapple

I strongly suspect there is a special place in Heaven for loggers. Considering the short few years I spent actually working in the woods, I hope they will give me a guest pass.

There sure is! "They fly pure gold chokers..." - ever heard the song by Buzz Martin titled 'Loggers Reward'??

Buzz Martin is a favorite of mine and if you guys haven't got his music you sure need to get it. Not much better out there.

Vigilant

Occupation
There sure is! "They fly pure gold chokers..." - ever heard the song by Buzz Martin titled 'Loggers Reward'??

Buzz Martin is a favorite of mine and if you guys haven't got his music you sure need to get it. Not much better out there.

I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Unlike yourself, who had the honor of growing up with Mr. Finley Hays, I only met him once, and spent the better part of the afternoon at his house, talking with him about the old days of logging. As we finally parted, with regret, he said, "We'll have to talk again, in the next life. There will be plenty of time then". That is an appointment which I intend to keep.

Born2clearcut

Pure Gold chokers . I would imagine they get pretty heavy pulling that back all day :eek: ..
New Northwest log loader
Port Renfrew 1960 a Northwest log loader sitting in the yard looking pretty new in these pictures . The undercarriage looks like its got a few hours on it so it may just be a 5 gallon rebuild .Either way she looking good ..

Attachments

• aug1960renFrew  new northwestsm (1).jpg
    aug1960renFrew new northwestsm (1).jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 1,840
  • aug1960renFrew  new northwestsm.jpg
    aug1960renFrew new northwestsm.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 1,748

hoglogg

wow i,m a little stunned right now ,,,all the neat stuff about bcfp and one of my favorite places, port renfrew ,!!!!!! please keep it coming