• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket too big???

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Hello all,

I am looking for a 30" bucket for my volvo 240. I have located a 30" bucket but its for an ex400. Any thoughts on whether i can run it? Or will it be too much bucket for my machine?

Ken

roadrunner81

Occupation
Managing member KSR Excavating, LLC
Its probably gonna be about 12" to tall, youll loose leverage and when you curl it in it will probably hit boom

swampdog

You did not tell us what type of bucket attachment system you have. Quick attach, or ?? One thing you need to check is whether the distances between the mounting points (both horizontally and from pin to pin) are the same on your machine and on the bucket you found. The weight of the bucket should not bother your machine, but check the mounting points and for clearances, as roadrunner already mentioned.

watglen

Occupation
My unit has the volvo s2 coupler, the bucket is set up for a pin grabber. I plan on removing the ears and adding the necessary bits to make my coupler work. Worse case I can cut the beam out of the top of the bucket and flip it upside down and reinstall. My current bucket is meant for this coupler, and has the beam inside the bucket instead of on top. This will move the teeth about ~10" closer to the pivot pin, which works in my favor.

My problem is the bucket pics don't really give a sense of scale, and I don't want to go to pick it up, and find out its HUGE!

Thanks

swampdog

Hey, I guess that's where a tape measure would help.;) If you have something to compare it to.

Most of these buckets look huge before they are on the machine, especially if one tries to fit them in the back of a pickup truck. I hauled a 63" cleanup bucket for my 270 in the back of my 3/4 ton GMC for 500 miles. It weighed about 3000 lbs and stood higher than the truck cab. One wise fellow at the auction advised that I not hit the road until after dark. Even though the load was safe (IMO at least), no point attracting attention from the transport people. Once on the machine, the bucket shrank down to size.

Bigstevex4

A 30 inch for a 400 is a small bucket will be abot 5 ft high if a 240 is like a kom 220 or 250 youl never be able to dig with it just way to much distance from pin to tooth.

watglen

Occupation
Well, i got it home (21 hours to indy and back) and it isn't as big as i thought it might be. Tooth tip to main pin centre is 64" , about the same as my current bucket. This bucket is clearly undersized for a ex400. I think it must have been a make-it-fit for the previous owner.

So by the time I cut and weld, buy the steel and gasoline to drive in indy, taxes and exchange, i'll have about $1500 into it in total. Not bad i don't think.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
That bucket looks like a wrong order,it has nothing done (check where the base is welded to the side)and to me looks like a very small bucket for a 400.

watglen

Occupation
Kinda makes you wonder eh? It has 4" pins, but only 16" between the ears. The teeth are well worn. Its not heavy enough to be a rock bucket, too small for a 400 series machine.

I took a chance purchasing it, cuz it could have been a monster. You couldn't tell from the photos.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
How are things.....? We had to do this mod to our 4' digging bucket off a 16 ton to suit our 312. The bucket was too high from the teeth to the hitch point for the digger to have enough leverage in heavier going. The end result was to cut out a 6" band nd reweld the two halves:eek: Worked a treat nd while we were at it we put on two side cutters

Attachments

• r1.jpg
    r1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,369
  • r2.jpg
    r2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,366
  • r3.jpg
    r3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,388
  • r4.jpg
    r4.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,400
  • r5.jpg
    r5.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,364
Last edited:

watglen

Occupation
Nice!

So is spent the afternoon cutting the ears and beam out of the bucket.

Any advice on what material i am supposed to us to make a new beam? Someone said ar400, but i thought I should ask you all.

I've been taking pics as i go. I'll get them posted as the work progresses.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Hows it going? AR400 is an abrasion resistent steel alloy which to be honest would be very unsuitable for your job:(:( We have different grade numbers to you here in eire but pick a middle of the road grade which has a degree of flexability. anywhere around 1" for the beam and 1 1/2" for the ears. What sort of welder are you using? Make sure you use 7018's if your using arc. Best of luck with it....:drinkup post a few pics as your goin

watglen

Occupation
This is the project so far.

The bigger bucket is the one I got with the machine. I would be interested if someone could tell me what the name for this configuration is. Volvo calls it an S2, but i think it may be a samsung or akerman design?

I drilled all over both buckets, and there is no mild steel anywhere in either bucket.

I figure about a full day of grinding to get rid of the rest of the weldments.

Next i have to order the steel.

Attachments

• DSCF2452.jpg
    DSCF2452.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCF2451.jpg
    DSCF2451.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 538
  • DSCF2450.jpg
    DSCF2450.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCF2459.jpg
    DSCF2459.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 531
  • DSCF2461.jpg
    DSCF2461.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 533

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Nice pics:) you have some good quality buckets there. i dunno what your equivalent would be but we use s355 grade for any heavy fab. I think its a hot rolled non-alloy.Fairly easily worked but as tough as hell

watglen

Occupation
Well, after talking to my local welding shop, its mild steel all around.

Couple questions, i am looking for a good web resource for tips and tricks (and pics) to help me improve with my oxy ac torch. Anybody know any good sites.

Also, i bought a ditching bucket which is in the process of undergoing the same conversion. This one was used for pounding pilings, so the bottom is bashed in pretty good. How hard is it to fix that?