• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bucket too big???

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Hows it going again... I find weldingweb.com really good if you have a bit of patients to look around nearly everything is covered there. Stick up a pic of the ditching bucket if you get a chance.....If you need a new base and hitch all youl be keeping is sides nd edge:eek:

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
So far so good..

This is where we are at so far.

Spent a couple hours this morning post heating the welds on the round pin. It is 4140 tool steel (so i'm told) and welding it is a bit tricky. Seemed like it went ok, but the test is when its in the dirt.

Next step is cut and install the top deck plate (1/2") and close in the beam area.

Attachments

• DSCF2466.jpg
    DSCF2466.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 348
  • DSCF2467.jpg
    DSCF2467.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 351
  • DSCF2470.jpg
    DSCF2470.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 344

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
I have done the same thing as you, three years ago i took a 36" diging bucket from our 992elc and re luged the ears to fit our 230clc and it works amazing for trenching i don't find any problems with breakout force or with tipping when it's heaped, they also make the machine look alot meaner. Make sure u atleast use fluxcore mig wire, or 7018 for the structural stuff !
have fun

watglen

Occupation
Here is the bucket completed. It still needs paint. I had it on and it looks good. It is 30", about a foot narrower than the thumb. Never thought of that, but it'll have to do.

Final cost is around $1400 plus a pile of .045 wire!

The ditching bucket is next in line. I have half a mind to rig it with a tilting arrangement, but i am running out of time for fabrication season.

One thing i noticed is the sliding wedge on the excavator is really reluctant to move. At one point i had to give it a shove, and it started to slowly move. Not sure why that is.

I had a ton of fun building this bucket.

DSCF2504.jpg

DSCF2505.jpg

DSCF2506.jpg

DSCF2507.jpg

watglen

Occupation
Finally after a lot of effort and fun, the machine is ready to start work with new buckets.

I got the rock guard this winter too. All painted up nice and shiny.

Attachments

• DSCF2603.jpg
    DSCF2603.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF2604.jpg
    DSCF2604.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF2605.jpg
    DSCF2605.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 180