• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

C18 CAT 12V Lift Pump

ThatGuysFarm

What kind of 12v lift pumps are being run on equipment running C18 CAT engines? Any specs on the pumps? Line sizes, GPM, pressures, etc?

ahart

All C18 engines I’ve been around have an engine driven fuel transfer pump. What application are you inquiring about? There are fuel priming pumps on the water separators typically, is that what you’re talking about?

ThatGuysFarm

We are building a 750hp scraper tractor and we are using a Tier4 C18. This tractor has 3 different fuel tank due to space constrictions, and I'm looking for ideas on the best most reliable way to plumb the fuel system.

Welder Dave

Little bit different but on my fuel injected water truck with 2 tanks, 1 tank is the main tank to feed the engine. The fuel pump in the other tank pumps fuel to the main tank. There's some extra fuel lines to feed back into the 2nd tank so the first tank doesn't overflow. Also the return fuel appears to go to the 2nd tank. Because of rust and crap in the 2nd tank a mechanic friend modified it to only use the main tank. I think it would be good to have a main tank and 2 aux. tanks feeding it.

terex herder

Welcome, Big Bud. Are all fill ports at the same level, or do you have to worry about overflow from the return flow?

ThatGuysFarm

Are you sure that the electrics/electronics on the engine are 12v.?
If that engine came from a machine or an industrial application it is far more likely to be a 24v system.
Supply a Serial Number and I can easily check.
The engine serial number is N8F01940. We are configuring our operating system to be 12V, but maybe the underlying engine system will be 24V if needed. Thanks for the input

ThatGuysFarm

Welcome, Big Bud. Are all fill ports at the same level, or do you have to worry about overflow from the return flow?
Fill ports are at the same level. I am planning on returning to one tank with large crossover lines down low at the "suction" level, but to only be feeding from one tank. My thoughts are using the large tanks as also a fuel cooler. So return in the farthest tank and feed from the closest tank. I'm always open to better ideas.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The engine serial number is N8F01940. We are configuring our operating system to be 12V, but maybe the underlying engine system will be 24V if needed. Thanks for the input
After checking a number of accessories installed on it that are different Part Numbers for 12v or 24v it appears as though the engine was built for a 12v system.

This is the fuel transfer pump BTW.

1700493459441.png

And here is an illustration of the 12v fuel priming pump fitted to the primary fuel filter/water separator.

1700493540577.png