• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845c questions: Block heater, parking brake, hydraulic hoses

Larpy

I purchased a 2000 Case 1845c. The block heater needs to be replaced. What is a good after market heater and what size is it. By looking at it I assume it is a freeze plug style heater with out threads. Is this correct?

My parking brake assembly is unhooked and is non-functional. The machine moves. Can the pins be removed? I do not want them engaging. I will rebuild the system after cab removal but for now I want to save guard the drive gears.

I need to replace several hydraulic hoses. I can not find a diagram with part numbers so I am thinking about having them made. Any suggestions or warnings about made to order hoses and types of rated lines/fittingd? Once I remove the lines does the hydraulic system have to be bled of air.

I have ordered all new filters, HTO additive and fluids. Spent hours cleaning the belly out yesterday! Was filled with mud etc which has to do with the parking brake to working. I suited up a went to battle!

Service manual has been ordered!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20190128_173424.jpg
    20190128_173424.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61

jacobd

First of all, why on earth are you posing for pictures under a raised boom? That's a good way to get crippled.
I think you can remove the pins if you really want to but if it were me I'd let that sleeping dog lie until I was ready to fix them right. If you're worried about them springing into position you could just wire them to each other in the retracted position.
If it's drive hoses you need to replace I would pay the extra money for OEM. Cheap hoses are more likely to fray or burst and I've seen where the maker has assembled them with debris from the cutting process still inside. On the other hand if it's boom or auxiliary hoses any old hydraulic shop will do. Just take the old hose in and ask them to copy it. And make sure they're rated for at least 3000 PSI working load.
The system will self-bleed as you use it. Just add oil as necessary.

heymccall

I'm with Jacobd. There is a boom safety lock bar on the passenger side cylinder. USE IT. It can kill you. Those machines are even more prone, because the control lockouts get sloppy over time.

As for hoses, any reputable hydraulic shop, even NAPA, can make your hoses. Just take your old ones with you.

I dont think there's a single hose on there heavier than 2 wire.

DIYDAVE

For the heater, go to Kat heater's website, I think they can find one that fits, by application, as long as you give them the relevant info. As for the hoses, ask around, Local. Farmers, contractors, garbage truck operators gotta get them, somewhere, and will know who's best. as for safety. Jacobd is right, use the lift supports, or at least cut a couple 2X4's, to use as jam blocks, that loader is stronger than yer head...;)

heymccall

Block heater should be a 196803a1.

There were issues with some block heater elements being to close to the block, when installed, leading to premature burn out.

As for parts lookup, Messicks online has them available.

Larpy

Thanks for the info! I got yelled away about that pic. Learning curve for me! I appreciate the great info. I am thinking the couch heater is probably best replaced with OEM. I did read about the after market heaters being too close to the block. The hose I needed replaced are not drive line hoses which is good. I am taking the hoses to the local Case dealer. They are going to make them at the shop. They said the do not stock most hoses.

phil314

Occupation
Instigator of Choas
If you have hose made, be sure to blow them out completely with compressed air.
They cut the hose from a bulk reel and you'll get chunks of rubber inside the hose.
You DO NOT want that getting inside your hydraulic system.

Parking brakes/pin tend to rust up. That's why they get disconnected.
If it's not giving you a problem right now, you can probably just leave it alone until later.
It should be fixed eventually though as it could be dangerous.

Also even when you are using the machine and even if it's running, still never climb under the boom.
Always, always climb over the boom/bucket/attachment, always.

Larpy

Appreciate the input! My excitement to get into this thing over ran my common sense! Thanks for the safety reminder!

Heymccall thanks for the website! Exactly what I read looking for and Messicks mobile app is great!

Larpy

Hat the hoses made today at Parker Hose. Super great guys and the price was really Affordable! I had 5 hoses made for $175. I tried the local dealer but wasted a lot of time. I drive there and was told they could make them but they were out of the hose ends. Parker Hoze made them in under 30 minutes.

I do have another odd question. The hydraulic fluid calls for 10w30. I have 50 quarts of 10w40 at my shop. I an thinking I should stick to the 10W30 with the HTO additive but wonder if 10w40 would work. Thoughts?

DIYDAVE

10w 40 shouldn't hurt, might just be a little slower, in cold weather... Might actually help, if it has a couple 3k hours on the meter...;)

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
For parts breakdown on line go to this page:
https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57482

I see you already got yelled at for standing under raised boom, don't do that again!

I personally would make fixing the parking pins a priority. Not sure what is wrong with them but if one of those pins pops into the gear while moving you could rip the pin holder right out of the frame. We had that happen on a 1845B.

If you don't have the operators/maintenance manual for this machine make that a priority. There is much good information in there like how to slide the cab forwards for repairs.

If you do have the manual take it in the house and read it from cover to cover, not in on sitting but read it. The information will save you problems down the road. Look around inside the cab for a plastic box maybe up on the ceiling they tend to hide them in different places on different machines.

Larpy

For parts breakdown on line go to this page:
https://partstore.casece.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr57482

I see you already got yelled at for standing under raised boom, don't do that again!

I personally would make fixing the parking pins a priority. Not sure what is wrong with them but if one of those pins pops into the gear while moving you could rip the pin holder right out of the frame. We had that happen on a 1845B.

If you don't have the operators/maintenance manual for this machine make that a priority. There is much good information in there like how to slide the cab forwards for repairs.

If you do have the manual take it in the house and read it from cover to cover, not in on sitting but read it. The information will save you problems down the road. Look around inside the cab for a plastic box maybe up on the ceiling they tend to hide them in different places on different machines.
I bought the service manual, parts manual.and operator manual and received them last night! I have been reading.

It looks like I have all the parts for the parking break system which is good. It was unhooked when I bought it. I am removing the cab this weekend so I will dig into it.

kshansen

Occupation
The 1845C that the quarry where I worked was a 1989 and last I knew they were still using it this summer. It is only used for clean up so does not get a ton of hours on it but the ones it gets are hard hours! Believe it has about 6,000 hours on it. Pumps and drive motors are to best of my knowledge are all original with maybe a seal replaced here and there.

Drive chains and wheel hubs and axles are a different story but 95% of the problems with those would be either working conditions or operators abuse, more of the latter if you ask me!

For a skid-steer to be going on 30 years of working in a stone quarry I'd say that is hard to beat. Now the 1999 185 JCB is another story it was bought used from dealer with 238 hours on it in 2002 to replace the "old" Case! Now 16+ years later the Case is still slugging away and for the last five years boss has been trying to talk management into replacing the JCB and NOT the Case!

Larpy

The 1845C that the quarry where I worked was a 1989 and last I knew they were still using it this summer. It is only used for clean up so does not get a ton of hours on it but the ones it gets are hard hours! Believe it has about 6,000 hours on it. Pumps and drive motors are to best of my knowledge are all original with maybe a seal replaced here and there.

Drive chains and wheel hubs and axles are a different story but 95% of the problems with those would be either working conditions or operators abuse, more of the latter if you ask me!

For a skid-steer to be going on 30 years of working in a stone quarry I'd say that is hard to beat. Now the 1999 185 JCB is another story it was bought used from dealer with 238 hours on it in 2002 to replace the "old" Case! Now 16+ years later the Case is still slugging away and for the last five years boss has been trying to talk management into replacing the JCB and NOT the Case!
My research showed the 1845 is a great machine!

kshansen

Occupation
The company had quite a few 1845's over the years and they all seemed to do pretty good considering the lack of care and the abuse any skid steer seems to get in a quarry. The early ones had the Case 188D engine and the "C"s went to the Case/Cummins both seemed to be pretty good motors.

I often compared skids steers to the tool they replaced. That tool for the most part was a hand shovel. When someone was done with a shovel for the most part it was just left where it had been used and no thought to it until the next time a pile of dirt or stone spillage needed moving, same seems to go for the skids!

Larpy

The company had quite a few 1845's over the years and they all seemed to do pretty good considering the lack of care and the abuse any skid steer seems to get in a quarry. The early ones had the Case 188D engine and the "C"s went to the Case/Cummins both seemed to be pretty good motors.

I often compared skids steers to the tool they replaced. That tool for the most part was a hand shovel. When someone was done with a shovel for the most part it was just left where it had been used and no thought to it until the next time a pile of dirt or stone spillage needed moving, same seems to go for the skids!
That is a great analogy. This one is in good shape but I am going through a lot of it because it is going to the mountains at 10,000. Does anything need to be adjusted for high altitude?

Attachments

• 20190126_135517.jpg
    20190126_135517.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 16

kshansen

Occupation
That is a great analogy. This one is in good shape but I am going through a lot of it because it is going to the mountains at 10,000. Does anything need to be adjusted for high altitude?

That's a good question, never had to deal with those kinds of altitudes. The average elevation here is around 525 ft above sea level!

Not sure but might try running it by The Pump Guy, start a conversation with him at "thepumpguysc".

At that altitude I would expect a noticeable loss of power and maybe a bit more smoke due to the reduced oxygen. I'm assuming this is a non-turbo engine like the one in our 1845C.

DIYDAVE

Everything I have heard or seen says the same. And, there are lots out there, so parts are no problem...:D

BC873G

Good to see a Chiefs fan in Bronco country. :)