• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 410 locked me out....tried it seems everything

hmedic

Hey skid steer whisperers!
Case 410
Ran and drove but would periodically engage the park brake. Upon getting it home I was driving in the yard and park brake engaged and would not restart in release the way it had in the past.

I bypassed the drive solenoids and bucket tilt solenoid and was able to move it up to the garage.

I bought the machine used as a project so I'm not foreign to issues LOL. The computer shows 135 hours which leads me to believe it was replaced based on the condition of the machine. Due to the appearance of the solenoids and other items this was an existing problem before I purchased it. I have ruled out the seat belt switch by eliminating it and the process appears correct on the computer. When connecting the two wires to seat belt light goes out.
Based on the common logic of this machine, obviously I'm missing something LOL, the machine only has a safety for the seat belt and the lap bar.
I am suspect the lap bar is my issue but cannot establish a way to bypass it it has three wires in a switch red black and white in the harness that plugs in at the switch location the red wire is not used only the black and white. I do not have power coming to the switch. I have tried to hot jump power to the switch and I'm not having any success.
The only thing on the machine that does not appear to be working is the auxillary seems froze but I am not sure where that would have any effect on this problem but throwing it out there. Does anyone have any ideas?
I can start the machine while it's locked out and I have a jumper hopping from the drive and buckets that allows me to bypass all safety features and it will run and operate so I am still suspect that it is something electrical related but looking for advice before throwing money at it LOL

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I'm assuming you have a foot pedal to operate the auxiliary/4in1 ?
There is a safety switch mounted to the loader control valve which only allows the machine to start while the spool is properly centred.
So, if there is a sticky control pedal that maybe your starting problem OR the switch maybe faulty.

Re the park brake -
There is a switch for the glass entry door for operator presence, check that too.
If your machine does not have a door, the wiring harness above your feet (while seated in the cabin) will have a connector for the missing door switch wiring - I've had them corrode or be dislodged from operators with big boots..... that's worth a look too.

I have replaced a few dashboards to sort a faulty park brake button too.......

bad Tom

Instrument panel pin 14 is the 12 volt output to the lap bar switch pin A. The signal goes through the switch to the white wire and then to the interlock relay. You can jump around the lap bar switch to check the system. Forget the red wire. You may have to pull out the instrument panel to check for power on pin 14 (tan wire).

hmedic

ALR...hoping the auxiliary is good enough to get to the moving problem being solved. I do not have a door but will research the connection..
Do you know if the 410 has a cab switch for when the cab is up? Some others referred to that and I had not seen one.

hmedic

Bad Tom.... I will check the wire...I don't think it has power coming to it...I will try to identify pin 14. I know the seat belt wire has power and I can not find any power (12 volt I assume) coming to the lap bar switch.

Do you know if there is a cab switch under the cab on the 410? Some other referred to one but I was unaware there was one.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Almost certain a cab switch does not exist on a 410.

bad Tom

On a 420, no cab switch under the cab. There is linkage that the cab pushes down on when lowering the cab, you can tell if it's there by watching the joysticks moving in or out when the cab goes down. Now, the seat switch circuit power does not go out to the interlock relay, and the seatbelt switch just tells the instrument panel if you have it hooked up. It is nothing more than "a reminder".

hmedic

Bad Tom..could not find one today...the cab sensor. I see where the linkage moves when the cab presses down on it. Does that movement trigger anything electrical to check?

So you are saying seat belt is not related to the interlock. If I am not getting power "to" the lap bar...is there something that interrupt the lap bar power feed I can check?.... I have been trying to add power to the lap bar but am not getting anywhere. As I recall three wires come from the lap bar...two go into the computer harness and one goes south down toward the wiring I believe going to the harness plug at the firewall.i am at work and don't have a pic of that...sorry

bad Tom

That's right, seat belt circuit is separate from the lap bar. There should not be any connector between the lap bar, seat switch and the instrument panel. The connector at the firewall (by your left knee) connects the components in the engine compartment. Check the wiring harness from the lap bar switch on the right hand side of you when in the seat. I will go out to check my machine and report back.

bad Tom

That harness goes up to the roof and then forward to the instrument panel. You may have a broken wire there, maybe where the harness make a bend.

hmedic

Do you know if there is a 12 volt power leading to the lap bar? I know there was 5 wires leading bask to the seat belt...lap bar area.. the seat belt was 2 wires.. a 12 volt and a loop that leads into the computer on the pillar. I thought the other three(3) consisted of 2 leading into the computer and one tailing off in the main loom of wires going south. none of these have a 12 volt hot as i recall. I am out of town and working from memory.... thanks for all your help

bad Tom

12 volt from the ignition switch wire number 130 red goes to the seat switch; power from the seat switch wire number323 tan goes into the instrument panel pin 12; 12 volt power from the instrument pin 14 wire number 313 tan goes to the lap bar input; lap bar down, power comes out (white wire on the switch) into harness wire 303 tan to power up the interlock relay; my tech manual does not list the seatbelt switch or wires but they (in and out) could be located in pins 6, 9, 11, and 13, don't know what numbers or colors they would be.

hmedic

Bad Tom...many thanks. The seat belt circuit appears to be fine. However I am NOT getting anything from pin 14. Do you know if there is anything outside of the panel that would keep power from being signaled to pin 14....or disbelief aside seeing this panel only has 136 hours on it...could it be bad?

hmedic

Okay so I'm trying to understand the logic of this and I get that the power comes out of the red wire to the seat belt switch. It goes into the seatbelts which comes out comes up to the panel wire 14 which is supposed to be hot but it is not . It is coming out of the computer so the computer is giving it a tough source. So is there something else in the computer that is not allowing it to be triggered hot that feeds in from somewhere else on the machine?

bad Tom

If you set in the seat, ignition switch on, you should have 12 volt power into the computer on pins 12, 3, 23 and 24. If not, check fuses. With the engine running, if pin 14 does not have 12 volts, then the computer may be defective. You can run another wire from a 12 volt circuit and connect that to the lap bar switch. Then check if the machine operates like it should.

hmedic

I will check the noted wires for power... I did relay the seat belt power over to 14 pin today and the machine believes the seat belt to be off when those wires are connected. I will try another 12 volt source tomorrow.

I found out as it were the computer is not being supplied to case any longer... So I concluded... If I route my power through the lap bar and source down to the two drive solenoids and to the auxiliary solenoid....I should have a running skid steer with a flashng brake light?

bad Tom

The seat belt light should flash about seven times then go out. Push the park brake switch (bottom right button) and the park lamp (bottom right hand lamp) should go out. I don't know if the park lamp will flash or go off if the instrument panel has be bypassed.