• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super L transmission issue?

Jump75

I have a case 580 super L 4x4 backhoe that I bought and have been cleaning up. Was using it and worked fine for 30+ hrs I had been running it. Was driving home from a job and was driving about 20(+/-) mph in 4th gear on pavement and all of a sudden I lost power to my transmission/driveline. No loud noise, no noticeable sound or leaks. Throttle still works, I put it in gear and there is nothing. Hydraulics still work, am able to use all booms. The reverse beeper still works and the electronic clutch disengage button on the gear shifter still works because when I have the drive in reverse and the shifter in 1st gear (any gear), the back up alarm beeper is going off and when I press the clutch disengage the beeping stops which makes me believe that it’s still working or at least getting power. Took apart the electrical panel and there had been some critter damage but none of it that is affecting functionality as there are no exposed or bare wires. No bad relays or fuses. Talked to case service technician and they had said to check a snap ring that fits inside of the top part of the transmission, which I believe is the Carraro transmission valve assembly. I haven’t torn into that yet but wanted to reach out and see if anybody else had similar issues and know what it could be. Has plenty of hydraulic fluid, tho the fluid is yellow. Haven’t tried changing the oil and checking the screen to see if there’s blockage stopping the flow of fluid. Was able to tow it home no problem, and there’s no loud noises which makes me think the transmission didn’t grenade. Weird that it would be working for hours fine and in an instant just stop working with no noise or leaks. Electrical?