• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580b gear oil in powershuttle

Vincent n

I just purchased a 1974 case 580b with the diesel motor and the powershuttle transmission. was told buy the owner that they had rebuilt the powershuttle and it would not move, so i go it home and soon realized that the powershuttle was full of gear oil and mixed with water probly from it sitting for so long. so i drained it put in some new fluid from tractor supply.. said it was compatible with transmissions that use case tch it moved in reverse a pretty good then slowly started to slow down and no forward at all so i hav since drained and refilled about 5 times now and it moves normaly in forward Works great, but no reverse now i hav gauges on all 3 test ports according to my manual everything looks great besides clutch pressures in forwad reved up i got about 180 psi witch is normal and it works great in forward but reverse im only getting about a 100 psi and it wont move in reverse i can lift the tires off the ground with the out riggers and the tires will spin but cant move its own weight in reverse wich is strange to me because reverse was the only thing that worked when i first got it going if any body has any input or experience with somthing like this anything will help befor i go broke buying fuild for this thing if its not going to really fix it lol thank you

Vetech63

was told buy the owner that they had rebuilt the powershuttle and it would not move,
They probably didnt get the rebuild right in this case. I would check your linkage first. There should be 3 distinct detents for forward, neutral and reverse. Make sure you are getting to the detents in each direction. You will not get all of the gear oil out without removing the shuttle transmission and tearing it down. Depending on how long it has sat, there is a possibility that the gear oil has already started to rot the seals. I believe back then the recommended oil was Dextron II. Someone correct me if Im wrong on that.

fpgm04

Vincent,

Welcome to HEF.

How did you determine to use TCH oil in your 580B powershuttle transmission?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but 580B powershuttle tractors are listed to use 17 quarts of gear oil in the transmission, per the service manual that I am looking at. TCH is listed for the steering system. See picture attached.
580B Powershuttle Fluids.jpg
Do you have the service manual for your specific machine? If not, it would be one of the best investments you can make.

Dextron was used on early powershift transmission to my knowledge.

In any case, I would encourage you confirm what oil should be in your specific machine with a Case dealer and get the service manual for your machine. By my understanding (which may be wrong), TCH is not correct.

Vincent n

I do hav a manual from everything ive read for the powershuttle says tch or dextron mabe ill drain it an try dextron next time i hav checked the linkage seems to be workimg properly and yea i do belive the gear oil sat in there for awhile but im not sure thank tou guys for your help

Vincent n

I will let you guys know how it goes when i get time to work on it it works in forward gear for now so im gonna get everything done i can around the house with it befor i work on it again

old and slow

Gear oil goes in the manual transmission 4 speed and the rear axle and front if 4 wheel drive. TCH goes in shuttle transmission the automatic.

DavePat

Sorry to hijack this thread, maybe I should make a new one...? But Im confused about what I have.... here is a pic 580B oil fillers.jpg
I drained the milky crap from the rear filler hole.... did the diesel flush twice.. and filled with 80/90 gear oil 17qts.
Whats the front filler for? Actually what is the exact terminology for both components? There are three drains on the bottom but only 2 fillers?
What goes in the filler infront of the shifter.
This is a '73 580B with a shuttle shifter Fwd/Rev on the column. manual transmission?
Thanks for all help here too..
I should have added, the tractor moves fine for about 5 minuets then slows down and gets a little chatter ...studder .. then nothing. Also leaking HYD fluid.... Hyd quit, after 2 hrs of hoe work, and I added 3 gallons to fill overflow and they came back alive.

Last edited:

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Vincent,

Welcome to HEF.

How did you determine to use TCH oil in your 580B powershuttle transmission?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding, but 580B powershuttle tractors are listed to use 17 quarts of gear oil in the transmission, per the service manual that I am looking at. TCH is listed for the steering system. See picture attached.
View attachment 214165
Do you have the service manual for your specific machine? If not, it would be one of the best investments you can make.

Dextron was used on early powershift transmission to my knowledge.

In any case, I would encourage you confirm what oil should be in your specific machine with a Case dealer and get the service manual for your machine. By my understanding (which may be wrong), TCH is not correct.
The gear oil goes in the transaxle where the four speed shifter is. The shuttle takes TCH or HY-TRAN now.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Sorry to hijack this thread, maybe I should make a new one...? But Im confused about what I have.... here is a pic View attachment 22050
I drained the milky crap from the rear filler hole.... did the diesel flush twice.. and filled with 80/90 gear oil 17qts.
Whats the front filler for? Actually what is the exact terminology for both components? There are three drains on the bottom but only 2 fillers?
What goes in the filler infront of the shifter.
This is a '73 580B with a shuttle shifter Fwd/Rev on the column. manual transmission?
Thanks for all help here too..
I should have added, the tractor moves fine for about 5 minuets then slows down and gets a little chatter ...studder .. then nothing. Also leaking HYD fluid.... Hyd quit, after 2 hrs of hoe work, and I added 3 gallons to fill overflow and they came back alive.
The transaxle (where four speed shifter is) takes gear oil, the dipstick is under the seat. The shuttle dipstick is in front of the four speed shifter just to the right and it takes TCH or HY-TRAN.

DavePat

Thanks for replying....
Can ATF Dextron II go into the shuttle? I think that is what got put in there by a mech I hired. Im not sure though but its pretty damn thin stuff and can hardly tell its on the dip stick cause it's so clear/fine. What does TCH look like?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Thanks for replying....
Can ATF Dextron II go into the shuttle? I think that is what got put in there by a mech I hired. Im not sure though but its pretty damn thin stuff and can hardly tell its on the dip stick cause it's so clear/fine. What does TCH look like?
I personally don't like dexron in shuttle but it will work as an alternate oil.

DavePat

I remember I had a 73 blazer and changed the fluid in the diff and the thing kept popping in turns and there was an additive that I put in it to stop it. This tractor situation totally feels like something simple like that.
Oil gets hot and stops working type of thing. Seems like wrong oil. ... I dont know... I got what I need to get done... (level a spot my my well to pull the pump) I haven't had water for 4 days.