• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C Seat spring

outlawspeeder

Looking for thoughts on how to fix the vertical adjustment for my seat. It seems that someone found the surprising 4-5 spring in the seat post of my 580C backhoe. Wish I had the video of that moment. It must have been a fun day.

So now to my problem. Is it worth the 70-80 dollars to get a spring or do I just put up with a seat that is all the way down unless I do the four hand hold the release, lift the seat, and line up the hole game. Thought about putting in a gas shock from and office chair... 70-80 dollars to fix an old seat or is there a replacement for the post? Is there a source for the spring that isn't so proud of their fine workmanship?

Is there a easier solution, from what I've read, the 4-5 spring is a life changing experience putting it back in?

The part number for the spring: D84284

Thanks for the help

Schaeff58

Occupation
Teacher/jack of all trades master of none
Hey outlawspeeder, Man i am going through that same exact problem.... that is the part number for the spring I need for my 480E case backhoe loader. I can find no specs on this spring either. I am thinking I am going to bite the bullet on this and just buy it... and like you, I cannot imagine why anyone would take this out... unless it was all rusty or broke etc...

What did you end up doing?

Thanks!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Mine was broken in two, tried to zip tie then welded both pieces together, but couldn't make it work back in the base..I'm not 6 ft. so it works for me in hardtail mode, still swivels, just put a thicker piece of closed cell foam and made a custom seat cover out of an old camo lawn chair..

outlawspeeder

I found a yard that had about 20 - 30 case backhoes. They let me look though them to find one. It was rusted and was about 4 foot long. Still looking for a better one. I have to get off the seat for it to come up but I don't have to lift it. I am still looking for better but I have something working.

franklin2

Looking at this video, you would need the top part of the chair with the little lever, and it would give you a place to put your seat in place. On the bottom looks like you would have to fabricate some sort of pipe or sleeve that would hold the bottom of the cylinder, and let you be able to fasten it to the backhoe.

outlawspeeder

The button on the top would be pushed in by the seat and the whole thing seats inside the tube where the spring was.

Just thinking.

Schaeff58

Occupation
Mine was broken in two, tried to zip tie then welded both pieces together, but couldn't make it work back in the base..I'm not 6 ft. so it works for me in hardtail mode, still swivels, just put a thicker piece of closed cell foam and made a custom seat cover out of an old camo lawn chair..

Well thanks for the reply, currently I got nothing and it is a fight to get the seat to the correct level. My seat pan it toast and the front to back adjuster was rusted badly... I got those working but they are still in bad shape. Thanks for your comment!

Schaeff58

Occupation
I found a yard that had about 20 - 30 case backhoes. They let me look though them to find one. It was rusted and was about 4 foot long. Still looking for a better one. I have to get off the seat for it to come up but I don't have to lift it. I am still looking for better but I have something working.
Well that was a good idea to go to a yard. I live in Southern MD not a lot of those around. Glad ya got something working for you. I am hoping to find a universal seat and get a spring and make it workable. Thanks the reply!

Using a hydraulic cylinder from a chair is a good idea, but I am not sure how well they would hold up. If someone does do that, I would be interested in the results. Good idea actually. Still thinking about going for the original part.

Thanks again.

Mr580backhoe!

The seat spring in my 580c is wore out as well so what i ended up doing is figuring out the correct height I needed when I was driving the machine and putting a muffler clamp around the tube to hold it in place. When I spin the seat around to dig with it the latch mechanism still holds it into the correct spot it needs to be for digging

catskinner 10

Occupation
Retired Operator/Master Mechanic 55Yr Member IUOE
The seat spring in my 580c is wore out as well so what i ended up doing is figuring out the correct height I needed when I was driving the machine and putting a muffler clamp around the tube to hold it in place. When I spin the seat around to dig with it the latch mechanism still holds it into the correct spot it needs to be for digging
Exactly what I did with my 580D.
Been that way for 20 years.
Works Great.
Tom

Schaeff58

Occupation

Thats a good idea. For me seat needs to be higher when digging I feel... and my seat did not move back and forth... seat was toast... really need something different... Thinking about putting and old Subaru seat on it, but it may be too big....Thanks for the idea, I do like it!

Schaeff58

Occupation
@thepumpguysc :
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I called the place you were talking about in SC. He said (It was not Dale) I would have to go to Case. I just ordered it. So its on the way. Sometimes ya gotta do that I guess.

Schaeff58

Occupation

Well I never saw when I did a search, I found JD Tractor stuff... I did call, Dale was out sick and his sister said she thought that was a dealer part, (Moot point as I ordered one anyway) but I can tell that that pace is going to be a good source for parts! Thanks for that link!

Have a good one!

Schaeff58

Occupation
Ok Hope I am not hijackings this thread, not my intent,,,
I have my spring. It is 37" long and about 1/8" thick coil. I have the new seat on the post, and have attempted to put this all together.... I gatta say its like putting a wet noodle up a wild cast a$$ o_O! I saw a post by goose in this thread https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/oops-how-to-repair-seat-case-580c.7364/ that said to remove the seat post and that there is a retaining clip (Which on mine is long gone) that keeps the two seat posts together so the spring does not push them apart. Well that made sense. I knew there must be some way to keep that thing together. So now for safety I almost have to take that seat post apart, buy the clip and go that route. Any one got any other suggestions? I know I am going snap off all of those bolts or nuts... :( OH from the manual I have, the clip is part D49776, snap ring #187 2.008 Int, Spiral. Search for that is on now...

Attachments

• IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 25