• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c tachometer troubleshooting

PaulMckee

My tachometer working fine prior to removing the console and instrument cluster to access the brake master cylinders for replacement. After repair and reassembly, the tachometer no longer works. The rpm needle in the tach gauge is not responsive and is pegged out on the highest rpm side. Curious now about what may have happened there. The cable is fully engaged/seated into the back of the tachometer and as is the main electric plug.

Any ideas about what may have happened or how to further troubleshoot? Many thanks.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Remove cable and examine to make sure it installed correctly, sometimes the inner part of cable will miss the hole in tach.

PaulMckee

Thanks Cory. Can you confirm that the Tach functionality is all mechanical via that cable. I’ll check again on drive alignment but was careful upon install to stab it. Maybe it did slip to side of slot, but it pushed up normally and clipped. I was a little concerned about the integrity of the main electrical connection. Thanks again.

Nick2

Hello. Have absolutely no luck locating
Case 580C Tach Drive Gear.
Neither Case nor anyone I’ve contacted can help . Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated ….
Case part #137572

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
That part number should be A137572, type it in on google or bing and you can find one.

Nick2

Coy , thank you for responding. I had already found that part number in the Case parts catalog . The price for the part which is the size of your thumb costs over $1,300 ! Additionally, Case can’t find the part in any of their facilities nor is there an updated part number …
I am looking for the part in every after-market supplier I can find .
If you come across any additional information I’d love to hear about it.
Your input is greatly appreciated ..

Nick2

Hi Tinkerer . I am not familiar with a electronic tachometer. Could you please provide more information about how it works and where to find one. Hopefully it could be read from within the cab . Thank you