• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580E problems

crane operator

Take pictures of what you are missing and where, I have no idea if the housing you are talking about missing a plug in, is a wet or dry housing, but someone here will know.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Oof, I didn’t realize that!

Honestly I have no idea if it has fluid. When he dropped it off to me, he showed me how to check engine oil and hydraulic fluid. I have been reading the service manual and discovered there is A LOT more to it than just checking engine and hydraulic oil, I doubt he’s ever checked the shuttle level as there’s no dipstick. I’d be really surprised if it was low, I’ve put probably 20 hours on it in the last two months and it drives with no issue. I’m doing my best to go over it with a fine tooth comb and address any glaring issues I find. From what I read last night, that bell housing plug that’s missing is not required and many people opt to leave it off. I’d prefer to replace it, so dust and dirt can’t get in the bell housing.
More than likely there wasn’t a plug in the bellhousing from factory. If you put it be in you need to drill a hole in center of it and put a cotter key in the hole, that way you’ll know if you develop a leak.

Ashton1012

Ok from what I’ve read online, it’s a dry bellhousing. I also read that a lot of them came without it. Just seems like a wild idea, it’s a 1 inch hole open for dirt to fly in. I guess it must not be that big of a deal.

I should be going out to the property today. I’ll take lots of pictures of the issues I’ve discovered. I appreciate all of your help, this is the first backhoe I’ve ever used or worked on. My father in law doesn’t know much about it so I’m trying to help him out for letting me use it.

I replaced the belt the other day. What a nightmare. I’ve done a lot of difficult jobs in trucks before, but this one definitely tested me!! Those four bolts on the pump flange were so difficult to get to. About 3 hours to loosen to slide the new belt in and retighten four bolts. My arm is wrecked haha

I’m having battery issues too. When I parked it the other day the battery was literally smoking. It’s getting extremely hot. Ground straps look ok but I need to follow the positive to make sure there’s no exposed wire. I do suspect he put in a battery that’s way too small, I haven’t checked yet but I don’t even think it’s a deep cycle. It looks like a standard car battery.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Ok from what I’ve read online, it’s a dry bellhousing. I also read that a lot of them came without it. Just seems like a wild idea, it’s a 1 inch hole open for dirt to fly in. I guess it must not be that big of a deal.

I should be going out to the property today. I’ll take lots of pictures of the issues I’ve discovered. I appreciate all of your help, this is the first backhoe I’ve ever used or worked on. My father in law doesn’t know much about it so I’m trying to help him out for letting me use it.

I replaced the belt the other day. What a nightmare. I’ve done a lot of difficult jobs in trucks before, but this one definitely tested me!! Those four bolts on the pump flange were so difficult to get to. About 3 hours to loosen to slide the new belt in and retighten four bolts. My arm is wrecked haha

I’m having battery issues too. When I parked it the other day the battery was literally smoking. It’s getting extremely hot. Ground straps look ok but I need to follow the positive to make sure there’s no exposed wire. I do suspect he put in a battery that’s way too small, I haven’t checked yet but I don’t even think it’s a deep cycle. It looks like a standard car battery.
Check voltage output on alt.

Ashton1012

Ok a little update.

I discovered the grounding strap on the battery is pretty shot. New one is on the way. Grounding strap from chassis to engine is not connected at all, fixing that. Positive cable on battery was super lose in the terminal, I’ll be replacing that terminal and putting a new lug on the cable.
From what I read online, I needed a group 31 battery with 700cca. I ended up buying a 31P heavy duty commercial battery with 950cca, that’s all they had.

Just fixing the positive cable seemed to reduce battery heat but I didn’t run it long, don’t want to ruin the battery. I’ll run it hard after I fix all the issues with cables.

I discovered pretty much every single wire is not connected to anything. That’s a project for another day lol.

Anyone add aftermarket gauges to their backhoes? I’m thinking about running new wires, sensors, etc to some new gauges mounted overhead.

I also need a new zerk fitting. I attached a pic of that. Anyone know the right size?

Attachments

• IMG_0635.jpeg
    IMG_0635.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0636.jpeg
    IMG_0636.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
The grease fittings on cylinders and arms are 1/8th inch pie and the ones on loader linkage may be 3/16th inch. Auto parts store should have them in a kit.

Ashton1012

Polarity reversed somewhere in the wiring ?
Is the alternator charging at stupid high rate ?
Is the battery boiled dry form over charging ?
Deep cycle batteries are for trolling motors on boats. :)
Any idea why the manual calls for a deep cycle? Doesn’t seem to make any sense. I know these came with some lighting, but all the lights have been removed on mine. There is no good reason I need a deep cycle. I’ll try this one I bought and see how it does.

Ashton1012

The grease fittings on cylinders and arms are 1/8th inch pie and the ones on loader linkage may be 3/16th inch. Auto parts store should have them in a kit.
Ok thank you, I’ll check my local Napa when I get off work.

Any tips for flushing power shuttle? I have a new dipstick on the way. I plan to drain TC, drop the pan, and I believe there is a screen in there I can clean? I have some heavy duty ford TA-31 gasket maker to put the pan back on. It should be adequate. It wasn’t cheap, and I have way more than I needed for my truck, so figured I’ll use it when putting the pan back on. Anything else I should check while I have the pan dropped?

Thanks

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
That sealer should work fine. Some of the torque converters had a 1/8” drain plug on them, just roll engine over and look for a 7/16 hex head plug.