• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580K hydraulics stopped working

Caper58

I bought a 1987 case 580k and have been using it for about a year. Was on a hill working with the bucket when all of the hydraulics stopped working. Bucket, steering, hoe, stabilizers... nothing would move. Opened the hood and the serpentine belt was shredded. Engine will start and run. I have a new belt on the way but I thought the hydraulics should still work without the serpentine since the pump is driven off of the engine crank (yes, I know that would not a good idea:). Fast forward 2 days later I noticed the extenda-hoe had drifted down which has never happened. Any thoughts are very much appreciated!

Caper58

Update... Well I'm back up running and here's what happened which might help somebody else. First I checked the hydraulic oil level which looked about right but since I was on a hill side I overfilled it just to see and everything started working. Then it was time to get the backhoe off the hill and back to my shop. Once at the shop, I lowered the hydraulic oil to the correct level and cleaned that dirty sight glass I've been treating to do for a while :)

Next it was time to the replace that destroyed serpentine belt. I've found a lot of post about how to take off the front counterweights along with various other front end parts but when I came across someone talking about just loosening the hydraulic pump coupler, sliding it forward on the pump spines where you get just enough space to work in a serpentine belt, I decided to give that a try first.

The sliding of the coupler went pretty well. I did modify a box end wrench with a long weird looking handle from an old tire iron, this made getting the coupler bolts loose in that tight space a lot easier. Slipped the coupler forward, belt went in, loosely started all of the bolts (needle nose pliers worked well for that), then tightened all bolts to torque standards with that weird handy-dandy wrench and I was done in less then 2 hours.

So if someone needs to replace a serpentine belt, I think slipping the coupler forward might be worth a try. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Delmer

I like to use moly grease on splines like that. I've seen some places say to leave them dry so they don't collect dust which is worse than dry. But if it sits more than runs, I figure the rust is worse than the dusty grease.

Caper58

The hill was steep. I was cutting a switch-back when I slid off my cut... so I was using the bucket as drag anchor to get the hoe to a lower landing.... then the hydraulics stopped. It's a scary feeling with no functioning out riggers, steering, hoe or bucket. I let the out riggers drift down until one caught, then I chalked the tires before walking down to the truck and looking for some alcohol to drink :)

What part of the splines I could see looked great but I was sliding the wrong way to see the splines the coupler sits on. It did slide easily and I could not get any coupler rattle with the bolts out before I slide it.

I sprayed the splines with a grease I use on my boat trailer. It's hard to get off the trailer so I figured it might stay on the splines for a while.

Last edited: