• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580SE Hydraulic Backhoe control issue.

Alex R

Hi everyone. New here. I have a mystery year late 80s early 90s 580se backhoe with hand swing controls. Every individual control works as it should very strong (boom, stick "dipper", curl) but as soon as I ask for a two controls at once they both slow to a snails pace or dont move at all. New fluid and filter as of a week ago. did not help one bit unfortunately. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would love to not need a new pump.

Thanks everyone,

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Welcome to HEF Alex; Have you checked the main relief pressure on your backhoe, if so what is it set at? Another question when you bottom out a circuit (ie) the boom or dipper and hold the lever does another circuit try to move?

Alex R

Thank you for the response. Those are two great questions that I don't have an answer too. I will asses after work, weather depending. supposed to pour. I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Alex R

Goodmorning. I bottomed out each circuit without any other circuits trying to move. I also need to play naive here and ask where and how to check the main pressure relief valve setting you asked for. I did my best given the pouring rain. once again I appreciate the help.

Alex R

I have it! I appreciate it though... I wasn't able to make much of the dark photos and parts necessary to run main pressure relief vale test. I also didn't see anything about a visible setting being displayed.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Goodmorning. I bottomed out each circuit without any other circuits trying to move. I also need to play naive here and ask where and how to check the main pressure relief valve setting you asked for. I did my best given the pouring rain. once again I appreciate the help.
You check the main relief pressure at the loader control valve there should be a quick disconnect fitting already there to connect a gauge to. Your service manual will show you how to connect the gauge and what the pressure should be.