• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 287B Both tracks lock up.. No hydraulic functions.

Lockjz

I have an 04' 287B Serial #ZSA00436.. Intermittently when operating the parking brake locks up on both sides and lose all hydraulic funcitons.. Parking brake light and seatbelt light start flashing when this happens.. try to release the parking brake and can hear a solenoid under cab making noise. Checked the connections at the lap bar switch behind cab and they are ok.. a wiring diagram would help if anyone has one. thanks

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Check and clean the ground strap from rear of cab to frame above hydraulic tank. You will need to raise the cab.
If this ground is bad it will ground through the cab mounts and lose connection when the cab shakes.

Toddgarage

Occupation
Construction, welding/fabrication, operator
The vibrations in CPT machines causes all sorts of challenges for wiring. Look for:
-wiring harness rubbing on belly pans or chassis
-wiring harness pinched
-wiring connection corrosion
-relays and fuses. (I’ve seen fuses that look okay, but have failed)

-do you have consistent voltage? (I’ve had an alternator regulator fail and the over voltage condition was making things difficult to diagnose.)

Lockjz

Still looking at this one and as of now it will not release either parking brake and is stuck outside. I have ohmed out all fuses, completed resistance checks on both the lap bar and seat switches, as well as the wiring for them. Cleaned the large ground strap connection from cab to frame. Left off yesterday at pulling the floor pan to check wiring at the Interlock ECM as all of the floor pan bolts were stripped out and i will need to cut them off. Checking to see if anyone might have access to a service manual for this unit and also a diagram of the dash symbols/lights and what they mean.. Along with the park brake and lap bar lights flashing i also have a light on the right side panel on intermittently that looks like a hydraulic cylinder with a diagonal line through it and im not sure what it is for. Thanks for any help.

04' 287B Serial #ZSA00436

Toddgarage

Occupation
Construction, welding/fabrication, operator
I’m not familiar with that Cat model, however I’ve spent many hours on ASV/Terex and they have some similarities.

The lap bar, seat safety, door switch all need to work together.

If this machine uses solenoids to move the spool valves for the safety circuit/parking brake… there are a few things to check.
However my first job would be getting this machine inside a shop and not working outside in the elements.

You might be able to just tap those solenoids and get them to move if they are stuck.
Remove the wiring harness, check voltage with the lap bar down, seat sensor activated, door switch closed.
Maybe you can get lucky, add voltage to the solenoid, and get the machine to move indoors for further repair.

I’ve seen degraded o-rings and bad solenoids mostly. This machine is almost 20 years old. Get ready for an adventure!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Checking to see if anyone might have access to a service manual for this unit and also a diagram of the dash symbols/lights and what they mean.. Along with the park brake and lap bar lights flashing i also have a light on the right side panel on intermittently that looks like a hydraulic cylinder with a diagonal line through it and im not sure what it is for.
One of these.? #7 or #8 I'm guessing.

1701302763318.png

You really need an Operation & Maintenance Manual. Search online for SEBU7732.
It can be downloaded from HERE in pdf format for $52. Just put SEBU7732 in the Search box.

Lockjz

Yes.. #7 is on intermittently and #8 at times but it is a faded flickering light.. im sure thats a good sign..

Lockjz

Still working on this one here.. finally was able to limp the machine inside my shop and out of the weather, i kept pressing the park brake switch over and over and got it to drive slowly inside.. i could feel in the left (drive control) joystick it was cutting in and out and would stop movement and the kick back in. Basically i cut out all the floor plate bolts that were rusted and removed floor plate, lifted cab and cleaned/vaccumed out the 8" of mud that was covering the ecm's. Started following the troubleshooting below and led me to test step #6 where checking the hydrostatic solenoid for short to B+ i found pin 29 (hydrostatic pilot sol) to pin 24 (work tool pilot solenoid) has 17.5 ohms when it should be over 5k ohms. when i unplug the work tool pilot solenoid that continuity goes away. it seems all the solenoids have a common shared ground however this is checking the B+ circuit.. I am wondering if this means i have a failed work tool solenoid? Thanks for any help.

Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing

SMCS - 7630-038-IND
Test Step 1. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AND/OR A FLASHING ARMREST INDICATOR BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED
View Image

Illustration 1 g01032933
(1) Armrest indicator

(2) Parking brake indicator

Occupy the seat.
Place the armrest in the DOWN position.
Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
Expected Result:

The armrest indicator should be off and the parking brake indicator should be on.

Results:

OK - The armrest indicator is off and the parking brake indicator is on. Proceed to Test Step 9.
NOT OK - The armrest indicator is flashing and the parking brake indicator is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 2.
NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

NOT OK - The armrest indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

Test Step 2. CHECK THE RETURN SOLENOID WIRE FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.
Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".
Locate the interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the left side of the machine beneath the access cover on the floor of the machine.
Remove the wire harness from the ECM.
Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 68 (wire 201-BK and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 6.
NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 3.
Test Step 3. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.
Disconnect the wire harness from the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.
Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 68 (wire 201-BK and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness for the ECM.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The hydrostatic pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil for the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 4.
Test Step 4. CHECK THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the work tool pilot solenoid.
Disconnect the wire harness from the work tool pilot solenoid.
Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 68 (wire 201-BK and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness for the ECM.
Expected Result:

Results:

Repair: The work tool pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil for the work tool pilot solenoid.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 5.
Test Step 5. CHECK THE WORK TOOL DETENT COIL FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the work tool detent coil. The detent coil is located beneath the right hand joystick. Remove the access panel in order to get to the connector.
Disconnect the wire harness from the work tool detent coil.
Expected Result:

Results:

Repair: The work tool detent coil has failed. Replace the coil for the work tool detent coil.

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

Test Step 6. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO THE + BATTERY TERMINAL

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 29 (wire H416-GN) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 24, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

The resistances should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 7.
NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms on at least one of the readings.
Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Stop.

Test Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO + BATTERY

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 24 (wire 126-PK) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 8.
NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms on at least one of the readings.

Stop.

Test Step 8. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO + BATTERY

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 66 (wire 975-WH) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The ECM is very unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

Stop.

Stop.

Test Step 9. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AND/OR A FLASHING ARMREST INDICATOR AFTER THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

Note: The seat will still need to be occupied and the armrest will need to be down. The key start switch will also need to be in the ON position.

Press and release the parking brake switch.
Expected Result:

The armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator should be off.

Results:

OK - The armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator are off.
Repair: There is no problem at this time.

Stop.

NOT OK - Both indicators are flashing. Proceed to Test Step 10.
NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

NOT OK - The armrest indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

Test Step 10. CHECK THE RETURN SOLENOID WIRE FOR AN OPEN CIRCUIT

Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.
Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".
Locate the interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the left side of the machine beneath the access cover on the floor of the machine.
Remove the wire harness from the ECM.
Measure the resistance from contact 29 to contact 68 (wire H416-GN to wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be approximately 11 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is approximately 11 Ohms.
Repair: There is more than one problem. Start by troubleshooting one of the fault indicators. See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing" or Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator Is Flashing".

Stop.

NOT OK - The resistance is considerably greater than 11 Ohms.
Repair: There is an open in the return solenoid wire. Check all connections. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

Lockjz

Also i should add that my aux. hydraulics have not been working. Thinking this might have something to do with that as well.

ahart

I’ve seen the ECM under the floor plate take on water due to corrosion between the sections and cause interlock issues like you’re seeing. On on specifically I was able to open the ECM, dry it out, clean and reseal the ECM halves and machine functioned normally again. That ECM is in a poor location IMO.

Lockjz

I agree it is a terrible location, the housings of the ecms look pretty rough however when i removed the connector the pins were dry and clean. Being that ive found continuity where it shouldnt be in the wiring harness i was leaning toward either the harness or the work tool pilot solenoid.

ahart

Took screws out, carefully separated. The mud corrodes the aluminum behind the sealer and you end up with water intrusion.

Lockjz

Does anyone have access to the Cat troubleshooting tree for this Serial #ZSA00436 for the parking brake light/armrest indicator flashing? It seems that the one listed above that i have been following does not have the same Wire pin outs as what is on my Electrical schematic.

Thank you.

Lockjz

In addition i did remove both ECM's and both had water intrusion from the housings being corroded through. Cleaned them as best i could with contact cleaner and dried them out.. looking to verify my wiring is good and solenoids are good before i Spend the $$ on ECM's..