• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 287B Both tracks lock up.. No hydraulic functions.

Lockjz

Appreciate the help.. The interlock ECM had significant GFS build up on the ciruit board and minimal amount of moisture on it. The other ECM which i beleive is for work tools had alot of water in it, enough that when i opened it and turned it over it poured out water. Both of these ECM's are around $4500 each and i dont think ill get much for core credit due to the damage on the housings. I looked into having them rebuilt but only found one company out of florida ( ECM engeneering usa) They want full payment in advance to do it which sounds a little off to me. If anyone on here has any info on here about them or a similar company that rebuilds ECM's that would be great.

Thanks

Lockjz

Update here..

Using the troubleshooting Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing (RENR6417-01)
Both the parking brake light and armrest lights are flashing. Test step 2 checks good with OL on the meter From Pin 3-pin68 on the ECM connector.
Test step 6- Not good.. Continuity from Pin 24 (work tool pilot output) to pin 29 (Hydro pilot output) 17.5 Ohms. Should be OL

When the Hydro solenoid is unplugged it goes to OL from pins 24-29 on the ECM connector.

With just the work tool solenoid unplugged i have 65 ohms from pins 24-29 on the ECM connector.

Unplugged both the work tool and Hydro solenoids and checked continuity from one to the other..

Hydro pilot Pin2 (output B+ from ECM) to Work tool Pin 1 (Common Ground) = 55ohms

Looks to me as the B+ pin1 wire for the work tool solenoid is shorted to the Pin2 common ground for the hydro solenoid somewhere in the harness.

I will verify my measurements tonight and start looking for the short in the harness.

More updates to come.

Last edited:

Lockjz

Update: The troubleshooting Used to find the issue above was incorrect. Step 6 is not correct when compared to the Electrical shematic. I double checked all my wiring resistances and Ohmed out all the solenoids again. Checks good.

I ended up sending Both my Interlock and AUX ecm's to GO ECM repair in Texas. They called today and said Both Ecm's are non repairable due to water damage. They also sell Refurbished ecm's and have them in stock however when i asked about them needing additional programming they stated they will need to be programmed to the machine and they could not connect to my old ecm's to transfer anything over due to the damage.. Nige i know in previous posts you stated that the Interlock ECM was Plug and play.. If this is true im not sure what they would need programmed. If they werent half the price of going to CAT i wouldnt consider it.

Any advice on programming is apprciated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nige i know in previous posts you stated that the Interlock ECM was Plug and play.. If this is true im not sure what they would need programmed.
It is. See my reply in Post #85 of this THREAD. If you check the electrical schematic you will see that the Datalink wiring in the machine harness does not connect to the 154-4233 Interlock ECM - therefore it is not externally flashable.

The AUX HYD ECM is a different kettle of prawns altogether. 216-0568 is the Part Number of a blank unpgrammed ECM. The Datalink wires DO CONNECT to this ECM and it is externally programmable. The software flash file P/N is a 284-3058. Also available in the Cat system is a 284-3059 Part Number which is a 216-0658 ECM pre-flashed with the 284-3059 software.

I can't see a Cat dealer Service Dept being too keen to program an aftermarket ECM with Cat software, unless of course it is such a good copy that it appears as though it is in fact a Cat ECM......

1711472082516.png

Lockjz

Thanks Nige, Just to confirm what i am seeing in the electrical schematic the AUX ECM would have nothing to do with movement of the machine/ lift arm fuctions or parking brake? I am thinking if i can start with replacing just the interlock ecm first and get this machine moving and able to use for now.

Nige

Just to confirm what i am seeing in the electrical schematic the AUX ECM would have nothing to do with movement of the machine/ lift arm fuctions or parking brake?
Look closer at the schematic. For example the armrest switch is an input to the AUX HYD ECM, as are the parking brake and 2-speed switches. The title of the ECM is somewhat of a misnomer, because if it is the AUX ECM, where is the primary one.? That's right, there isn't one......

The 216-0658 ECM has inputs/outputs to pretty much all functions related to the hystat and implement systems.

Lockjz

Update: Ordered Both refurbished ECM's from GO ECM and took them over to my local CAT dealer. They programmed the AUX ECM and verified the interlock is Plug and play and ready to go. Installed both ECM's and machine is now working as it should. The only issue i have now is the parking brake light in the cab is not illuminating however the parking brake is working and releasing normally. Glad to get this machine back working again and thanks for all the help guys..

Nige

Ordered Both refurbished ECM's from GO ECM and took them over to my local CAT dealer. They programmed the AUX ECM
Nice to hear a dealer being supportive when the part in question wasn't bought from them. I'm not going to ask what they charged you..........
verified the interlock is Plug and play and ready to go
Good of them, but we already knew that.

Only thing I can suggest to prevent a repeat is keep the area around both those ECMs dry and SUPER clean in future.