• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D No Panel Lights

Hey all,

First time posting so I apologize for any mistakes. I searched the forums but couldn’t find any answers to my problem.

I have a 2014 CAT 299D (GTC) with about 2200 hours on if. I bought it about a year ago and began having problems within the first 50 hours over intermittent use over several weeks.

The issue was with both difficulty starting and the Advanced Monitor not turning on and remaining black. At first, the indicator lights above the monitor and panel switch lights would also work, and the screen would turn on sometimes but not others.

The machine continued to function fine in this condition and I ran it for several hours hoping my long stretches between use and lack of a factory battery disconnect were to blame, and that a few hours being charged by the alternator would remedy the situation. However, the screen ceased its intermittent operation after a very brief period and remained off while the panel and warning lights continued to operate.

I read on this forum that my model year had a nasty habit of Advanced Display Screen failures when the machines attempting to be started on an undercharged battery. About this time I confirmed the dying battery theory when I returned to find the machine would not start.

I took the opportunity replace the battery along with a battery disconnect switch kit I ordered from Parts.Cat.com.

The machine now starts and runs fine… however I am now noting that none of the panel lights or switches are coming on. They do appear to be working, but the body of the switches themselves are not lighting up. Oddly enough the radio works and the AC fan turns on although I’m not sure the condenser is working since it’s blowing warmer air than I remember.

The parking break button will function as designed, automatically engaging when the safety systems trigger, will prevent operation, and will disengage when the button is pressed, but the button will not illuminate for me to see the status of it. I have to attempt to move the machine or boom before I can tell if the brake is engaged or not.

This is leading me to believe that the problem may lie somewhere else than the previously scapegoated Advanced Display, since the panel lights operation should be independent of it. I’m now transitioning into a hunt for a warm/severed wire loom, blown fuse, or other mechanical influence on the electrical system.

I pulled each of the present fuses from the back right of the cabin, and both of the fuse panels that have a fuse appear to be good. I am unaware if the relays are operating, so I just ordered 4 new ones that came in after I got home today. I ordered them because the bottom panel has a relay missing from the R1 and R5 spots, so I’m unaware if one of them is needed or putting strain on the system by being absent.

My plan was to remove each relay and replace it with a new, taking time to see if any cause the lights to come back on.

I have a wiring diagram obtained from some generous party on another thread, and have begun studying it. I do admit that my experience with this is extremely limited so I may be wasting my time without guidance.

The machine is about an hour away from my home, so I will be returning tomorrow with my multimeter, however the looming implementation of a burn ban in central Texas dictates that I capitalize on the machines operative state to try and dwindle the giant pile of deadfall that’s hindering development on the site of my future home.

If any of you have any experience with this type of electrical failure/symptoms, I’d welcome the advice for where to look for the problem. Again, I searched the forum to the best of my abilities but came up fruitless for a viable solution or strategy for attacking the problem here.

Thank you all in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all who have been so gracious to help us less experienced and/or knowledgeable on this community forum.

Last edited:
My Battery disconnect install (getting my 3 posts so people can PM if need be).

Attachments

• IMG_4333.jpeg
    IMG_4333.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
Looks like one of my 2 relays should be there, (R1), stop lamps.

Attachments

• IMG_4399.jpeg
    IMG_4399.jpeg
    822.6 KB · Views: 5
Is it specifically for a GTC-prefix machine.? The applicable serial numbers should be on the cover page.
Hey Nige! This may be one of your gifted diagrams from another thread where you were helping someone else.

Attachments

• IMG_4404.png
    IMG_4404.png
    964.1 KB · Views: 3
Anyone think these 3 main power relays under the cab could be the culprits?

Attachments

• IMG_4400.jpeg
    IMG_4400.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4403.png
    IMG_4403.png
    938.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4402.png
    IMG_4402.png
    924.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4401.png
    IMG_4401.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Am I reading that this fuse also feeds both left and right instrument panels? If so, should I seek this 15amp fuse out as well?

Attachments

• IMG_4407.jpeg
    IMG_4407.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4408.jpeg
    IMG_4408.jpeg
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4410.jpeg
    IMG_4410.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4409.jpeg
    IMG_4409.jpeg
    855.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The wire number for the panel lights is 614 Purple. It is literally everywhere.......
However it gets its power from the Roading Light switch. When the switch is moved from OFF to the first or second positions Wire # 614-LR12PU becomes energized. This is what puts the panel lights on.

See snip below. This is Grid J-1 of the schematic. Do you have roading lights.?

1686060629130.png

Nige

Roading lights are the ones on the front of the machine, facing forwards? If so, yes, I do have them.
If the roading lights turn on then you first need to be looking at the switch I indicated above, because that's where the power for the panel lights comes from. It's not a fused supply downstream of the switch. The incoming power on 102 Blue will trace back to fuse A5 marked as "roading Lights".

Start with wire 614-LR12PU but be careful, there are TWO purple wires both marked 614 at that switch. The one I arrowed is the power supply going OUT to all the other panel light locations, the other one is power coming IN to the panel light in that particular switch. You need to get the right one.

Attached info on the fuses which brings me to the subject of an Operation & Maintenance Manual. You obviously don't have one and if you are doing all your own maintenance it can be extremely useful. Here's a brand new genuine OEM manual on CD - GTC O&M Manual

Thanks. Ordered the CD. I’ll be at my machine in about an hour and will confirm the Roading lights are working. If they aren’t, then where do you think I should be looking?

Nige

I’ll be at my machine in about an hour and will confirm the Roading lights are working. If they aren’t, then where do you think I should be looking?
First & foremost you need the key to be ON. There will be no power to the Roading Light switch with the key OFF.
If the roading lights are not working then you need to follow Wire #102 Blue back to the fuse marked #15 on the attachment I posted above (it's actually fuse #5 in the bottom section of the fuse panel, grid E-11 of the schematic) and check for power at that point.

A suggestion: Take the time to read the tables in Grids E3/E4 on Page 12 of the schematic. They will help you to understand it.

It was the R1 fuse in the bottom breaker panel! Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Always good to hear a success story...........
Well the success was short lived. It came on the first two time so ran it (45ish minutes each), and now it’s back off again. I’m leaning towards a semi-severed wire with intermittent contact. What do you think?

marl4472

Well the success was short lived. It came on the first two time so ran it (45ish minutes each), and now it’s back off again. I’m leaning towards a semi-severed wire with intermittent contact. What do you think?
Did you ever find the problem, I’m having the same issue I think. Low battery issue and now no advanced display. Every seems to operate normally, seems like no power to display