• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 931b engine removal

msllc

NIGE, I don't like to hear that. That low figure may keep me in the fight to repair this beast. I do not doubt that few guys would be interested in this machine for parts or to repair it. I am sure that I am not the only guy to take on a major project like this. I'll be hoping for a small miracle in order to sell it.

Are the tracks worth much? The pins, bushings & rails look really good. There is some wear on the front idlers (50% life) & sprocket (20% life) segments. As far as just parts go, it has to be worth something to someone, right??

mitch504

Any machine is worth more as the total of it's parts, sold individually, than as a complete, running, working machine, but you have to be able to market them to get it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
NIGE, I don't like to hear that. That low figure may keep me in the fight to repair this beast. I do not doubt that few guys would be interested in this machine for parts or to repair it. I am sure that I am not the only guy to take on a major project like this. I'll be hoping for a small miracle in order to sell it.

Are the tracks worth much? The pins, bushings & rails look really good. There is some wear on the front idlers (50% life) & sprocket (20% life) segments. As far as just parts go, it has to be worth something to someone, right??

Unfortuneately 50% idlers and 20% sprokets will not bring a lot of cash. The 2nd half wears faster than the first. If needed I would be looking for better walking gear for my 931 if I was going thru the work to change it. Only way to tell how good the rails are is to measure them.

msllc

I did not consider there being much value in the sprockets, I already had scrapped them in my mind. The idlers may have some value in them, I suppose that will be debatable when I begin to part it out. I also think that I would not do as well by listing my parts for sale on this forum, because they is SO much technical support here that helps everyone save money by repairing almost anything.

In all HONESTY, I am VERY tempted to repair this loader. I am just not so sure throwing a ton of money at it is the very best use of it, especially if it is mainly to complete a project. I know human pride is foolish, but I would rather have some use of this machine instead of letting it continue to rust away. So, I am considering a possible land clearing / underground utilities company, if I devote to repairing it. The main clincher is I don't need any of these things.

So, that sort of thinking gets me back to thinking of selling it to someone who needs a treasure trove of hard to find / expensive to buy parts. While all of these parts may not be able to be verified good, it will be extremely difficult to think that this machine has all kinds of problems. Bad fuel kept it from running & then the absence of a rain cap seized up the engine. So, what goes bad from NOT being used?? I can not think of very much.