• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 963c problems help

Jlb84

So long thread ahead sorry bought a 963c at the first of this year that I thought was a good machine run like a raped ape. Got to where it would slow down in a hard push no bogging just slowed down and wouldn’t come back until I cut off the machine then started it back same pile same grade it would do like it’s supposed to. I thought it needed calibration so cat comes out no plug on the machine to calibrate. They come out again wire plug up calibrate machine gets a mind of it own takes off by itself wide open in reverse. I shut it down it won’t start back cause the pump is stroked up. Tech works the rest of the day trouble shooting gives up going to send a different one out he come out a week later find metal in case drain filter says drive pump is gone. I stop them and take it in they install drive pump then they say drive motor is damaged beyond repair they put machine back together ( I’m leaving several little details out trying to make it as short as possible) No change pumps stroked up takes off by itself. They say they can’t get it to calibrate. They have another 63c beside it taking off parts and nothing is changed they called the other day say they think it’s mechanical because wiring harness is unhooked sometimes it go one way the next it go the other way. Now they say they have no idea waiting to hear back from cat to see what do try next. Sorry for the long thread has anyone seen this before any help is surely appreciated.

1466IH

I would be looking very hard into why it will not calibrate. Which function is not calibrating? Have they tested any pressures and checked speed sensors and solenoids. Does machine take off as soon as it starts? Not sure how it could if brakes are still applied and not sure starter could turn engine fast enough to start if pumps were fully stroked.

Jlb84

I would be looking very hard into why it will not calibrate. Which function is not calibrating? Have they tested any pressures and checked speed sensors and solenoids. Does machine take off as soon as it starts? Not sure how it could if brakes are still applied and not sure starter could turn engine fast enough to start if pumps were fully stroked.
Pumps are not stroked now new crossover valve stopped that. Fire it up and 10 secs later it takes off

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I thought it needed calibration so cat comes out no plug on the machine to calibrate.
Why were they looking for a plug to connect ET to do the calibration.? Does it not have the three switches located under the armrest like all the other track loaders of that generation.?
If it does have the switches, on that basis alone you have to seriously question someone's competence level.

upload_2022-8-28_12-37-23.png

Jlb84

Does it ever give a reason why it fails calibration?
No they said they’ve never seen nothing like it.
Why were they looking for a plug to connect ET to do the calibration.? Does it not have the three switches located under the armrest like all the other track loaders of that generation.?
If it does have the switches, on that basis alone you have to seriously question someone's competence level.

View attachment 266977

Jlb84

View attachment 266977
Yes it has the switches they told me they couldn’t calibrate without plugging the computer to it said. One tech told me you couldn’t really get it right without plugging the computer in it. I don’t know. All I know is I’m going to have a 38k repair bill and nothing has changed!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Yes it has the switches they told me they couldn’t calibrate without plugging the computer to it said. One tech told me you couldn’t really get it right without plugging the computer in it.
I'm sorry that is not correct......... It's perfectly possible to calibrate the machine with the switches, or at least it should be.

Post a Serial Number and I'll send you the chapter and verse from the Service Manual.

Jlb84

I'm sorry that is not correct......... It's perfectly possible to calibrate the machine with the switches, or at least it should be.

Post a Serial Number and I'll send you the chapter and verse from the Service Manual.
2ds01084

Jlb84

You never mentioned before if you had any Diagnostic Codes showing on the Monitor Panel.
Is the SERV CODE icon lit after the panel self-test after the key is turned on for the first time.?
You do not need to start the engine.
No sir there were never any codes what so ever.

Cmark

All very strange.

If there was no service tool connector then someone has stolen it. Even so, this is one machine where the laptop is of no use in performing the calibrations. As Nige said, it is done via the switches under the armrest.
There are electrical safety interlocks to prevent the machine moving without any command so if it moves with the wiring harness unplugged then I agree, it has to be a fault either mechanically in the pumps or in the pilot hydraulic control system for the pumps. When you say it takes off, does it go straight or just one track?

Quite what they have done to go from a reasonably well running machine to the current situation is anyone's guess.

Jlb84

All very strange.

If there was no service tool connector then someone has stolen it. Even so, this is one machine where the laptop is of no use in performing the calibrations. As Nige said, it is done via the switches under the armrest.
There are electrical safety interlocks to prevent the machine moving without any command so if it moves with the wiring harness unplugged then I agree, it has to be a fault either mechanically in the pumps or in the pilot hydraulic control system for the pumps. When you say it takes off, does it go straight or just one track?

Quite what they have done to go from a reasonably well running machine to the current situation is anyone's guess.
They told me it does something different everytime they try it. The plug had been cut off by the previous owner i guess and they told me friday they changed the main hydrostatic control valve and no change problem is still there waiting to hear back from cat on what to do next.

Welder Dave

We're the Cat techs throwing parts ar it because they couldn't figure out what was wrong? For 38K it should definitely have significant improvement not we replaced this and replaced that and still can't figure out what is actually wrong.

Cmark

Going on 6 months and 60k later the cat place still can’t get my machine to calibrate they’ve got going straight but can’t get no speed out of it
Clarify "no speed out of it"?

If it will only move at a crawl, this suggests the underspeed feature is cutting in. Check engine RPM at high idle and whilst moving. If it's low, may be an engine issue. Is the microswitch on the governor lever working OK?

If it will only move at walking pace, the motors may not be shifting into high speed.

Cmark

And another couple of questions.
What is the part number of the new pumps?
Ask your dealer to check Simsi to see if PS50431 has been carried out?

Jlb84

0r0850 is the drive pump number. Ok and I will if they would ever return a phone call last I heard from them was a text 2 weeks ago I’ve called literally 10 times in the last 2 weeks and no response. What is the ps50431 thanks.