• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 988A Information

Arnauld K

Hello, the engine has finally been started. I wanted to share with you some pictures of that d343 being rebuilt. Thank you all for your helps and contributions . I was lucky to have a mechanic that had over 30years experience in rebuilding CAT engines, although it was his first time to work and rebuild a d343 , and he did this without the service manual.

Attachments

• 603830D3-AEF3-48DC-A575-24CC38F43004.jpeg
    603830D3-AEF3-48DC-A575-24CC38F43004.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 4B7AB86E-39AD-4B96-996C-D176D82133C7.jpeg
    4B7AB86E-39AD-4B96-996C-D176D82133C7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • CA9DD295-4B85-4CD6-8C4E-A129EB44A8AA.jpeg
    CA9DD295-4B85-4CD6-8C4E-A129EB44A8AA.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • 1A92D161-E4E7-4FA0-A604-ABD3B151AE58.jpeg
    1A92D161-E4E7-4FA0-A604-ABD3B151AE58.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Arnauld K

More pics

Attachments

• 94D2C3DF-7D52-4AD5-9AC8-3866A4C9F77C.jpeg
    94D2C3DF-7D52-4AD5-9AC8-3866A4C9F77C.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • 6E4FB23E-7C26-4143-925C-AC55D0796385.jpeg
    6E4FB23E-7C26-4143-925C-AC55D0796385.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 28724006-5DEE-4048-BFA7-9FD35E3106F3.png
    28724006-5DEE-4048-BFA7-9FD35E3106F3.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 3B3DEB1D-6032-4BA5-8214-2D53E9B06CD6.png
    3B3DEB1D-6032-4BA5-8214-2D53E9B06CD6.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 16

Arnauld K

Hello , I need a new water pump for my 988A(2S7209) but I can’t find it on our local market. The only one I’ve found in good conditions is the water pump of the 950G(2364413). I want to know if that one will fit and work properly on the 988.
And also I wish someone could help me know if there are alternative to the W. pump 2S7209.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
If your water pump housing is not severely corroded, you can purchase a water pump rebuild kit at a much lower price than buying a complete new water pump. The kit part number is 1W-7077.

One these rebuild kits (made by IPD, a U.S. company) is available from the seller below for US$212 - plus freight. You would need to enquire as to freight cost to Cameroon.

The water pump with part number of 236-4413, for the 950G, will not fit your D343 engine.

Arnauld K

If your water pump housing is not severely corroded, you can purchase a water pump rebuild kit at a much lower price than buying a complete new water pump. The kit part number is 1W-7077.
One these rebuild kits (made by IPD, a U.S. company) is available from the seller below for US$212 - plus freight. You would need to enquire as to freight cost to Cameroon.

The water pump with part number of 236-4413, for the 950G, will not fit your D343 engine.
Thank you very much for your reply , but Unfortunately my water pump was stolen . So I need a new one.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Ahhh, that's not good news, and it means you're going to be looking at a serious expense for a complete new water pump.

Possibly the best source will be CGR Ghinassi, the Italian aftermarket parts manufacturer. If you contact them, they will be able to advise how to acquire one of their pumps, and at what cost.

It will almost certainly cost you many hundreds of dollars to acquire a complete new water pump, as they are a big pump, they're heavy, and they are now hard to find, either new or used.

Arnauld K

Ahhh, that's not good news, and it means you're going to be looking at a serious expense for a complete new water pump.

Possibly the best source will be CGR Ghinassi, the Italian aftermarket parts manufacturer. If you contact them, they will be able to advise how to acquire one of their pumps, and at what cost.

It will almost certainly cost you many hundreds of dollars to acquire a complete new water pump, as they are a big pump, they're heavy, and they are now hard to find, either new or used.

Thank you very much , i’m going to contact them . No other choice .

Arnauld K

I would like to know please, if a CAT 988 has been sitting down for almost 10years with full hydraulic oil in the tank and full transmission oil and full rear and front differential oil inside , is it compulsory to change all those oils immediately after total repair of the machine? Or if we are running out of money can we make it work for about 1 or 2 months before changing all the oils ???

Welder Dave

What does the oil look like? If you drain a little is there water in it? It would be best to do some oil sampling in a lab to tell the condition of the oils if you can't afford to replace it right now. You'll probably want to change filters at least. I wouldn't go too long after all the money you spent on the engine.

Arnauld K

The transmission oil has a dark color and there’s no water in it.we are going to changent all the filters . We’ve bought all the filters from CTP in then USA.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
If your region has a tropical, high humidity climate - as I believe Yaounde has - then I would have to say you would be foolish to operate the machine without changing all the oils.

High humidity and a tropical climate means vast amounts of regular condensation inside compartments, which means a substantial level of water contamination of oils, and major corrosion issues for components that have not been submerged in oil.

I have had a Caterpillar field serviceman tell me his story about how a D4 owner called with a problem with his D4 tractor, and how it had just stopped driving a few hours after he'd commenced pulling a plough with the tractor.

The tractor had been stored under cover in a farm shed for quite a number of years, unused, in a climate that was a mild Mediterranean climate (hot dry Summers, cool wet Winters).

The serviceman told me he identified the problem in the bevel gear/pinion compartment, and when he got the tractor apart, he found several teeth stripped off the bevel gear.

But the part that astounded him, he said, was the fact the bevel gear teeth that had been above the oil level in the compartment, were totally rusted through - but the teeth that had been submerged in the oil, were as-new.

He said the lesson taught him how important it was to start and move machines regularly to ensure a coating of oil remained on the component surfaces that weren't covered by oil.

Arnauld K

If your region has a tropical, high humidity climate - as I believe Yaounde has - then I would have to say you would be foolish to operate the machine without changing all the oils.

High humidity and a tropical climate means vast amounts of regular condensation inside compartments, which means a substantial level of water contamination of oils, and major corrosion issues for components that have not been submerged in oil.

I have had a Caterpillar field serviceman tell me his story about how a D4 owner called with a problem with his D4 tractor, and how it had just stopped driving a few hours after he'd commenced pulling a plough with the tractor.

The tractor had been stored under cover in a farm shed for quite a number of years, unused, in a climate that was a mild Mediterranean climate (hot dry Summers, cool wet Winters).

The serviceman told me he identified the problem in the bevel gear/pinion compartment, and when he got the tractor apart, he found several teeth stripped off the bevel gear.

But the part that astounded him, he said, was the fact the bevel gear teeth that had been above the oil level in the compartment, were totally rusted through - but the teeth that had been submerged in the oil, were as-new.

He said the lesson taught him how important it was to start and move machines regularly to ensure a coating of oil remained on the component surfaces that weren't covered by oil.
Wow !!! I was about to make a dangerous move. Thank you so much. I will just find a way to replace all the oils even in the rear and front differentials ... thank you again

Arnauld K

I recently bought the service Manual and it said that SAE 30 is suitable for the transmission gear. But that oil is not available from our trusted oil dealer. What alternative can you suggest me in replacement of that SAE 30 for the transmission gear ?

Attachments

• 4CCAF67F-0B89-489A-92C8-FC98EFC5C484.jpeg
    4CCAF67F-0B89-489A-92C8-FC98EFC5C484.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
Arnauld K, From what OxDozer explained, wouldn't it be a good idea to take a boroscope and inspect any of compartments that you have access to like the differentials, transmission? They are inexpensive and can be useful for these sorts of things. If all looks good then change the oils.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The oil recommendations and the oil qualities have changed greatly in the decades since your Service Manual was printed. Caterpillar no longer recommend using engine oils in powershift transmissions.

Oil manufacturers find new and improved oil additives all the time. and the transmission oil you can buy today is vastly superior to the transmission oil available in the 1970's.

Purchase Cat TDTO oil and use it in the transmission, it has substantially more anti-wear, lubrication, and corrosion-protection additives, than the plain 30wt oil available in the 1970's.

Even the API CC and CD engine oil classifications are obsolete, having been superseded a number of times over the decades.

Arnauld K

Yes sir will do that, it’s very important . Thanks
Arnauld K, From what OxDozer explained, wouldn't it be a good idea to take a boroscope and inspect any of compartments that you have access to like the differentials, transmission? They are inexpensive and can be useful for these sorts of things. If all looks good then change the oils.

Arnauld K

The oil recommendations and the oil qualities have changed greatly in the decades since your Service Manual was printed. Caterpillar no longer recommend using engine oils in powershift transmissions.

Oil manufacturers find new and improved oil additives all the time. and the transmission oil you can buy today is vastly superior to the transmission oil available in the 1970's.

Purchase Cat TDTO oil and use it in the transmission, it has substantially more anti-wear, lubrication, and corrosion-protection additives, than the plain 30wt oil available in the 1970's.

Even the API CC and CD engine oil classifications are obsolete, having been superseded a number of times over the decades.

Thanks, according to document in the link your shared , I think SAE50 will be good. Thank you so much

oarwhat

Dumb question but have you tried running and using this machine yet before doing maintenance? Why was it parked it may have problems.