• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D3C sproket hub

Drag racer

How are you removing nut to remove sprocket hub ? Someone previously used pipe wrench,
prefer to not go that route.Serial:5Kg01070

Thanks Bernard.

Drag racer

Thanks for the replies have found couple
3-3/8 sockets well over 100 ea not interested
In those ,will keep looking
TC I found cat dealer that has tooling to remove and install.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Reads like a prior owner/repairman wasn't interested in purchasing the correct tools for the job either, and resorted to something that would work? Myself, $100.00 for a proper tool is a worthwhile investment; especially if the machine is mine.

No offense meant but those are my thoughts.

Drag racer

Reads like a prior owner/repairman wasn't interested in purchasing the correct tools for the job either, and resorted to something that would work? Myself, $100.00 for a proper tool is a worthwhile investment; especially if the machine is mine.

No offense meant but those are my thoughts.
I will keep looking for better buy,may be the only time I will use it.

tctractors

Thanks for the replies have found couple
3-3/8 sockets well over 100 ea not interested
In those ,will keep looking
TC I found cat dealer that has tooling to remove and install.
Then get the dealer to bring his spanner, he will have it to do the nut up after pressing on the rim, so you would be bothering about nothing. tctractors

Drag racer

You wont hurt it using a pipe wrench
The sprocket hub the nut was barely tight and I pulled sprocket loose by hand,luckily the splines look new. My next question manual says to remove inside nut before removing housing,is that to make it easier
to remove it later if needed?
Thanks. Bernard

tctractors

Well the fact the nut was loose and the rim fell off in your hand it's not the best thing, anyhow the inner nut will need to be undone and this needs another type of fancy spanner thing, as you are having a good bit of luck with this job it might also be loose??? tctractors best of luck.

Drag racer

Well the fact the nut was loose and the rim fell off in your hand it's not the best thing, anyhow the inner nut will need to be undone and this needs another type of fancy spanner thing, as you are having a good bit of luck with this job it might also be loose??? tctractors best of luck.
It also has a huge hex nut instead of spanner.
No room to get anything on it,that was why I
see no reason to remove it just to remove housing although manual says to.

1693TA

Occupation
While luck may seem on your side with this job; I get the impression you are taking things apart because of a prior repair not done correctly. Don't know if I've ever seen a sprocket rim pull from tapered splines by hand. Most tractors take many tons of force to reinstall the rim for even the smallest tractors. Large ones are in excess of 75 tons of force. Usually takes quite a bit more to pull them free than to reinstall too using the proper tooling.

I do wish you luck with this endeavor but think you need to rethink your approach to keep from having problems again.

Drag racer

While luck may seem on your side with this job; I get the impression you are taking things apart because of a prior repair not done correctly. Don't know if I've ever seen a sprocket rim pull from tapered splines by hand. Most tractors take many tons of force to reinstall the rim for even the smallest tractors. Large ones are in excess of 75 tons of force. Usually takes quite a bit more to pull them free than to reinstall too using the proper tooling.

I do wish you luck with this endeavor but think you need to rethink your approach to keep from having problems again.
I am pulling final because of couple pieces of gear teeth,amazes me how people just throw things together.I know how the hub was supposed to pressed on,if it is something I can't repair I have no problem taking it to someone who can.

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks for the update. If you adhere to the repair manual for tolerances and specifications there should be no problems with it going back together and yielding a good long service life. I've had them apart in the past where things were put together loose by other parties and it's painful and expensive to re repair something because it was done cheap the first time.

If you have broken gear teeth ensure you flush that cavity very welll with both solvent and hot water to remove any grit that will ineveitably find it's way into roller, or sleeve bearings destroying or shortening the life of your good work.

Drag racer

Have to buy a bull gear part 5G5847 ,
any recommendations on suppliers
and quality prefer to stay away from China.

Thanks for any responses.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Have you checked with Cat for the bull gear? Sometimes the quality is worth the price, in my opinion bull gears fall well inside that spec, it's not a place to cut corners.....and you will pay SOMETHING for even the poorest quality gearing unless you are a VERY lucky person and find one free looking for a good home. JMHO.