• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat d4 basket case

yrens

Wow, sounds good enough to make a person think it was running strong just yesterday, Have you tried to move it or anything under it's own power yet?
So no I haven’t. It currently is stuck in neutral. The shift boot was in rough condition and there is light surface rust on a couple of the gears. Thought maybe it could be a issue with the safety lock but Matt was thinking more of just the forks stuck. I feel that with plenty of WD 40 and light tapping I think it will break loose.

Lumberjack Matt

Congrats! Sounds pretty good!

Go to studio.youtube.com, click on content, click on the video, scroll all the way down, click on "show more", scroll down to this section:
upload_2022-11-11_11-43-34.png

Also make sure you made the video public and not unlisted

yrens

Congrats! Sounds pretty good!

Go to studio.youtube.com, click on content, click on the video, scroll all the way down, click on "show more", scroll down to this section:
View attachment 272267

Also make sure you made the video public and not unlisted
Well that’s helpful. Thanks again I will give that a try for future clips. I was very surprised at just how good it sounded. It did take some time before it went. And it goes back to how quickly yours started. I don’t see how I would have gotten it going without the pony? I went through a tank of gas and then some.

Lumberjack Matt

Your engine was left sitting with the intake open. I would imagine there was a fair amount of rust around your valves that was probably causing them not to seal very well. Spinning the engine over while heated by the pony for a long time probably cleaned them up enough to get good compression. Also, I cleaned out my entire fuel/injection system of all dirt and old diesel. Don't remember you mentioning if you drained the fuel tower before putting new fuel in, but that thing holds like at least a gallon of (in your case) 12 year old diesel.

yrens

Yeah you went through everything. I’m still impressed. Mine was completely dry. The line was cut by the left floorboard where I believe some sort of a shutoff valve could have been? I’m guessing because about 4 inches or so was missing. I spliced in a new 1/2 shutoff with some rubber fuel line and clamps. Tower was dry probably due to the leak I found from a bad lower gasket. Only old fuel I found was in the after market inline fuel filter when I changed it. I cleaned the injectors and blew the lines out. I would agree like you said though with the valves. I wish I would have taken that picture of my intake valves and manifold. That was quite the nest.