• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6C Accessory shaft

sbsimkins1

I recently bought a Cat D6C 76A5186 with a fuel problem. There was a small electric fuel pump hooked up to it and it started and ran so I bought it thinking I would just fix it up. It turns out the fuel pump was rusted solid and it broke a gear tooth on the pump and bent the rod. It also broke a gear tooth on the accessory shaft. I believe I have found all the parts to fix the pump but I can't find an accessory shaft. The parts book calls it a 1S7401. If anyone knows somewhere to source one of these or an alternative fuel pump I would really appreciate it.

8V71

Looks like they’re several on machinery trader. Go to find parts put in the part number several vendors will come up I do have a D333 that I’m going to part out that was in a 977 if you can’t find what you need for it.I’ll put serial number up soon.

sbsimkins1

Looks like they’re several on machinery trader. Go to find parts put in the part number several vendors will come up I do have a D333 that I’m going to part out that was in a 977 if you can’t find what you need for it.I’ll put serial number up soon.
I didn't know machinery trader had a parts section. I'm relatively new to heavy equipment though. Thank you.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I wish people would not think the D333 engine is just 1 engine type, 333B is nothing like a 333C, or possibly I need to read things better and stop listening to music at the same time.
So what music you listening to? I tend to go off topic so figured this would be as good as anytime!

I have to blame Cat a bit for being too lazy with coming up with new model numbers and just tossing a letter in there to confuse people!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
There's actually a D333A (4.5" bore), and a D333B (4.5" bore - same engine), as well as the D333C (4.75" bore, which later became the 3306).

Little wonder Cat went over to the "3000 series" numbering in the early 1970's - imagine the number of c***-ups that went on inside the Caterpillar operations, as Cat employees left letters off!

The basis of all Cat engine ID is on the bore diameter, and that was the standard Cat engine ID system from the early 1930's, even though they did also use a letter/number engine ID as well, back then.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
"There's actually a D333A (4.5" bore), and a D333B (4.5" bore - same engine), as well as the D333C (4.75" bore, which later became the 3306)."

Oz, (or anyone in the know) I have a D6C serial# 76A-5579 Which I believe has the D333A or so I was told. My question is what are the differences (roughly speaking) between the A model and the B model? and when did that change come about? I haven't had to order parts for my engine at this point but if I ever do it would be good to know what I'm looking at in terms of series of engine I have.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
Basically D333A is naturally aspirated engine as in 44A D6B.
D333B is the turbocharged version as in 76A D6C.
differences in turbocharged engine were piston cooling jets, oil cooler, cylinder head with valve inserts, and no doubt some others ive forgotten about
And for ordering parts, go off a 76A parts manuel, your engines in that book

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
Thanks, my engine is turned so I guess is a B, probably not much of a issue when it comes to ordering parts anyway. Thanks again for the reply.

sbsimkins1

There seemed to be a conflict on if I need the timing fixture plate or not. Also has anyone convered one of these dozers over to an electric fuel pump?

tctractors

No timing plate needed on the early engines as the gear and shaft is key locked, the later 333C series needs the timing plate you have the 333B series engine with the small bore, as for fitting an electric fuel pump I would tend to think it a better idea to sort the as fitted item, I have these pumps on the shelf myself in the U.K. so they must be common enough to find in the U.S.

sbsimkins1

No timing plate needed on the early engines as the gear and shaft is key locked, the later 333C series needs the timing plate you have the 333B series engine with the small bore, as for fitting an electric fuel pump I would tend to think it a better idea to sort the as fitted item, I have these pumps on the shelf myself in the U.K. so they must be common enough to find in the U.S.
Yeah I can find them but they are 500+ and I was hoping for a cheaper quicker fix but I'll probably just do it right. Thank you