• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cheap-ooo One inch Impacts ??

LeakyBoot

Anyone have one of those that sells for less than $200 and if so how has it worked for you? Did it have any power and did it blow up in your hands? LB

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I can't talk about the one inch, but I've got a "made in Japan" 1/2" impact gun that I've had for nearly 30 years that I paid 25 dollars for new. Funny story, my buddy was showing me his $150 Snap-on impact that he was so proud of and was telling how much better it was than mine. As I was looking it over it looked suspiciously close to mine, so I peeled back the Snap-on boot and sure enough the same casting numbers were in the housing!

I've only had to dismantle mine twice to clean it, otherwise it has worked flawlessly. I would bet the same reliability would extend to one inch guns.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I have had one of the cheapo Harbor Freight one inch ones for some time. It works great. It is a little heavy at about 29 lbs.

LeakyBoot

Wrench

I have had one of the cheapo Harbor Freight one inch ones for some time. It works great. It is a little heavy at about 29 lbs.

Will it break loose lugs on your budds? How have you plumbed it---1/2 inch hose? How many PSI? Thanks! LB

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
Have that same impact from harbourfrieght. Use it off the airline to the trailer, its a little slow that way but will bust them loose. Planning on plumbing right into the air tank with large coupler and 1/2 air line.

mack688

I have a cheap harbor freight gun also i bought a couple years ago new, works just as good or better than the high dollar one. Best investment i made in a long time, its paid for itself changing truck tires, and doing brakes.

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I had a smaller air compressor and with that it wasn't that strong. Then a customer gave me an old air compressor he had. I ran them both to a manifold I made with a 1/2 inch line off the manifold to the gun. It now has plenty of power to do anything I want. I also bought the cheapo impact sockets from Harbor Freight and they work well also. PSI is around a 110 on both air compressors and flow combined is probably around 10 cfm.

LeakyBoot

Tank

What I'm thinking of doing: I have a 25 gallon air tank I push around on a dolly. It's big so it will inflate a tractor tire in the field. I have a coupler snap a air hose on to fill. I'm going to change the piping around to also hook up the 1/2 inch line --not too long--for the impact. While in use I'll hook the smaller fill hose on and the tank will give me a little reserve without having a 1/2 line all the way back to the compressor. I can roll the tank near the job. I'll have to wait a minute for a refill of the 25 gallon tank after a burst with the impact. LB

Freightrain

I'm in the market for 1" impact right now too. I've been working on trying to get 2 1/4" nut off the back of my tranny and 3/4" won't move it. Figured I'd do an Ebay deal if I could for around $100 and just have it around(don't have really any other use for it). Tools is tools and you can't never have enough, right? LOL!

Kinda shy'd away from the cheapies, figuring it wouldn't move it any better then the 3/4" I'm using now. Then it would be a worthless tool. I'm needin' about 1000 lb/ft(at least) to get this nut loose(and back on again), so that's what I'm up against. For the money thought that H-F version looks ok(for $120)

Don't know anyone around me that could "loan" one for a few minutes. I've got a 60 gal tank/6 hp @120 psi with 1/2" hose, so I think I could run one.

Last edited:

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
Where in Ohio are you located? I might be able to help you out.

Freightrain

North Canton.

Where abouts do you live in Malvern? Lake Mohawk? Got relatives there.

I'm working on getting the socket(new 1" drive impact) or 1"-3/4" adapter to run the socket I got now. It's a std craftsman, so not sure how much beat'n it will take from 1" gun before it comes apart(don't forget the eye protection).

I have one buddy who might have gun, but haven't touched base with yet. Hopefully this weekend I'll know if he has one. Adapter will be mid next week before comes in. Local hardware is "loaning" it to me for the job, unless I want to buy it. Might have to splurge for socket too?

Once I get flange off, I'll pull tail off tranny, fix seal and check speedo gear problem and then put back together once it's all good. Won't be a one night deal, but getting it apart is the catch right now.

Last edited:

Freightrain

Well, wanna thank Bill for taking care of this for me. He came up Sat and loaned me his NEW gun. Got the nut off their this morning after a bit of penetrating oil last night.

rino

Occupation
Drive steel bed Dump Truck for a paving company
I have a lot of Harbor Freight tools. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, I'd buy a Harbor Freight tools over the higher priced Snap On, Craftsman, Skill, DeWalt, Cornwall tools any day of the week! I have a broken rotozip that I paid over $100 for, and a $15 spiral saw from Harbor Freight! The HF saw has NEVER let me down, and well as the pnumatic nailers, electric grinders, mig welders, hammers, pry bars, chisels, punches, drills.

SouthOnBeach

Occupation
jack of all trades
i always think the cheap stuff isn't made to hold up for years on end workin in an everyday in a shop type usage. but for the gotta get them so tightly stuck on budd wheels of so i can do a brake job on the truck, need to fix the dozer undercariage..... i say its better to keep money in my pocket then in theirs.

rino

Occupation
tools

Our repair shop supplies the shop tools form Harbor Freight! They use the 1" impact all the time on wheels, pavers, excavators, rollers, graders, loaders, dozers, and all equipment where larger bolts need to be turned! We also use their floor jacks, O-rings, wire ties, air hoses, oil filling reels, grease pumps for both gear lube and grease, extension cords, work carts, creapers, jack stands, and just about all the shop tools including their floor model drill press. They offer standard quality at a cost effictive price! Plus they NEVER question or complain when returning broken or worn out tools. I took a worn out flip driver back to Sears, and had the man tell me that the warrenty was over for that model because they discontinued it! They changed the printing on it is all, and yet I couldn't get it replaced! I complained to the manager, and got the screw driver replaced!

Never had problems with Bench Top tools at K Mart either! They also have a life time warrenty! I just hate the big 3! They think that we John Q User has no place else to go other than them!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Does anyone have experience with the harbor freight air compressors?:beatsme looking in purchasing a in-expensive one to run air tools. Thanks

I've been looking at this one for a while now: 29 gal. Air Compressor.

Normal price is usually $369 but they put it on sale occasionally for $339. Last year they had one sale with it at $309 so I'm waiting for that sale again.

I'll let you know what I think when I get it.

rino

Occupation
Air Compressors @ HF

Well I think you are going to need one the can power a 1" impact fpr wheel removal. A min of 10CFM is usuall required, but then the compressor runs for ever to keep up with the tools! Just looked up the site and found 2 right off the bat. One is 21.5 CFM 175 PSI and $1200 +. That would run anything you get including a jack hammer! However there is the better choice that is ITEM 92504-4VGA $339.99 13 CFM@ 110 PSI 220 volt, 60 Hz, 23.5 amps (start up), 12.5 amps (no load), 20 ft. stripped power cord ready for 220 volt plug connection; Overall dimensions: 18'' W x 22'' D x 42'' H, I feel this will run a 1" without any problems, and like I said before. Any time I had a problem with their tools, I took them back to the store and either exchanged or got the refund, no problem, no questions asked. After all they want to sell you more tools in the future! They will do whats need to keep your business! Try that at Sears/K-Mart, or the Snap-On van!