• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark /Michigan 75 C

Nick Stiletto

Hi all, new to this forum, but not to wrenching. Working on a Clark 75 C Wheel loader in the back of beyond Montana and found the front left drum full of gear oil, so OK, needs a seal. Take it apart and the seal is ripped, as well as the shoes down to the rivets. I get them relined in Billings, do a quick check of the bearings and they are spotty, so EZ PZ order new bearings and races. Upon putting the shoes back on I hear a squish, peel back the brake cylinder boot, and yup!

So now the reason for my post, I would like to change both front wheel cylinders, they are Wagner/Lockheed FD 6145 with a skootch smaller then 2" pistons. i figure this should be easy, but try as I might, I cannot find them, any suggestions?

Oh, and I really don't want to hone them and put in new cups, such a pain to have to do it twice.

I prefer mail order as the nearest town is 50 + miles away.

Nic_V

56wrench

On a machine that old your only choice may be to hone and install new cups and boots if the bores are not pitted too badly. Also if you find new wheel cylinders they may be very expensive

Reactions: DB2

Nick Stiletto

Hi 56wrench.
You must be a youngster if you think 70's is old. I restore limited production vintage race cars from the 50"s and even older iron. What I would do for them is re-sleeve the cylinders and then put in new cups. BUT I didn't have to, found a new set of cylinders for about $125. But thanks for the reply. What I was looking for is a suggestion on where to buy parts for a Clark/Michigan 75C, as I undoubtably will need more parts!

56wrench

Lol, i am of the opinion that there are varying degrees of ‘old’ . Nowadays ‘70s are old, ‘50s are quite old, ‘30s are real old and anything older is antique:D

Nick Stiletto

I've worked on Bugatti's, Benz, Horch from the 30's and 40's and the craftmanship is far superior to what's produced today in our throwaway culture. Those machines can be kept going indefinitely with care and expertise. Can't say that about anything produced today. Hence the saying an oldy but a goody! You have a great day, and keep on Wrenching!