• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Commercial construction work pictures

skyking1

This is an example of no coordination. Typically we get in there, dig in the plumbing, get an inspection, backfill and turn it over to the electrician and ultimately the site's dirt contractor for cap break before pour.
This time they had the electrician scheduled right on top of us. I went away yesterday and came back to this stupidity.
PXL_20230413_194326902.jpgPXL_20230413_194329713.jpg

I held my tongue for a while, but ultimately it came out. After speaking with the GC and electrician, I think we have a solution. The dirt crew will come help out with jumping jack and plate, so we can get compaction under the conduit. Sparky will lend a guy too.
It beats cutting it all out of the way so I can hoe pack it.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
Site coordination has always been an issue on a job site. It comes from the site leadership and it can go wrong very easily. I have been on jobs where everything worked well and the others……Cam

skyking1

In all honesty, that mess above was caused by a ridiculous schedule. The general contractor had us on top of each other on the calendar.
Yesterday the dirt guys sent out a young man to help me and a jumping jack and we knocked the heck out of it. This morning I just had a little piece to finish. They had walled me in with a stem wall pour, and there was a pile of dirt outside I could use to ramp myself out.
I got everything cleaned up and then the concrete pump truck showed up, and that was the end of getting out today!
First picture is another example of why we don't want a 50.
PXL_20230417_144438753.jpg

PXL_20230418_142356432.jpg
I had to go hide in the corner because they're pouring a couple of different spots in there.
PXL_20230418_181645581.jpg

PXL_20230418_182848062.jpg

kenworth

Occupation
Jack of a Few Trades, Master of None
In all honesty, that mess above was caused by a ridiculous schedule. The general contractor had us on top of each other on the calendar.
Yesterday the dirt guys sent out a young man to help me and a jumping jack and we knocked the heck out of it. This morning I just had a little piece to finish. They had walled me in with a stem wall pour, and there was a pile of dirt outside I could use to ramp myself out.
I got everything cleaned up and then the concrete pump truck showed up, and that was the end of getting out today!
First picture is another example of why we don't want a 50.
View attachment 284217

View attachment 284216
I had to go hide in the corner because they're pouring a couple of different spots in there.
View attachment 284215

View attachment 284218
Thank you for taking us along on your work adventures, I really enjoy your posts.
The company you work for is going to have an impossible time replacing you when you leave.
You are Awesome at your trade.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I started backfilling that and the Gen Sup thought I was going to leave it ready for the electrician to lay conduit.
"I'm not fixing your whole muddy site for you, get the dirt guy down here"
He did and I graciously stayed on and helped scrape the whole thing down. I rarely get to dance the excavator dance with some good guys, and lately it has always been this crew. They brought in a 50 and the volvo 160 loaded it into a truck to take it away. He put the bucket on backwards and I tucked the last bit in there.
Here you go sparky.
View attachment 282937

Curious question Sky - You backfill your trenches with dirt/clay or whatever onsite material their is?

Plumbers and sparky's always backfill with stone here and we usually get the CO to haul the spoils off along with footing and other trench spoils.

skyking1

Cheap basstiges will fill with the native if they can get away with it. That was "OK" material that went into the ditch and I vibed it as much as I dared. It was pumping but that was a Friday and by Monday it was OK underfoot.
"if it is good enough to build on it is good enough to go back"
Seems to be the mantra of the almighty dollar around here. I won't miss that on crappy sites when I am done!

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
10-4

The sites we are on eat #57's by the truckload like popcorn at the movies. I always get a chuckle on a cut site when the GC says "Where did all this dirt come from" meaning the other trades spoils. Usually laugh and say "For every load of #57's coming in a load of dirt has got to leave, it's a cut site." :cool:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Yeah I saw that, good looking sandy material. Looks similar to our 8910 crushed stone.

skyking1

Western Washington has a whole lot of glacial deposits that we can proctor and use. That stuff was dug up and maybe minimally screened for big nuggets.
We don't have any of those product numbers like #57.
I see CSTC ( crushed surfacing top course) 5/8" minus
CSBC ( Crushed surfacing base course) 1.25" minus
Those show up on highway and road job specs.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
It's just the size screen the rock passes thru. Smaller the number the larger the rock. #57's are screen size 5 thru 7 so basically it's a 3/4 sized rock. 8910 is 3/8" down to dust.

skyking1

The first surgery is in the books today and I'm chilling out. I'm going to haul the excavator to a job on Friday and have another guy operate it. I can hang out with them and show them how to use the laser Etc.
I preloaded and chained it down the other day, fueled it. The job site is a bit sketchy so we will load and bring it home that night.
I staged the dump truck there yesterday with 7 tons of pea gravel in it. I'm not concerned about it in the least at the sketchy site.
The other operator is a fellow union operator and we met on my 2nd job out of the hall in 1991. We have kept in touch and worked on some other projects over the years.

Welder Dave

First it's Tramadol, then Toradol, then Morphine then Hydromorphone about 8 times stronger than Morphine. Sleep is better than pain though. BTDT and still on the hydro.

skyking1

I'm sitting on the job site in the truck. I have to just walk away so I don't put my hand on a shovel or something stupid like that. It's going okay but I can tell I could sure screw up easily. It's nice to have a friend on the job who knows what he's doing to take care of my work.
I'm not even going to try driving the dump truck on the site. That's a surefire way to mess up a hand.