• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cracked Boom Pictures! Suggestions?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Bob, usually the problem will not be in a casting. The box part of the boom has internal webs or stiffeners in it to stregthen the box away from the areas where the castings provide natural reinforcement to the structure. It is usually the welds between the stiffeners and the outside plates of the "box" of the boom that crack. When you cut a hole open it's generally obvious what's wrong as soon as you stick your head (and a light) in there. There will be one or more cracks in internal webs - fail to fix those and your repair on the outside hasn't got a snowball's chance in Hell of lasting.

I can only speak for Cat here but if there is a known issue in a boom there will will generally be a repair procedure document known as a Special Instruction that tells you step by step how to do the repair. While that document may only apply to a certain machine model there will often be some really good titbits of information in it regarding procedures that are transferrable across the whole models range - excavators as an example. As an example from my job site we had 336D excavators where the stick cracked on each one, every time in the same place. Cat must have known about it because there was a Special Instruction available that as a first step required the repairer to cut a rectangular hole in a specific place. One the plate was removed there was access to 3 internal stiffeners, all of which had cracked the welds between them and the side plate. Repair the stiffener-to-side-plate welds, pop the cut piece of plate back in the hole, weld it up, and the put a external stiffener plate over it (where do you hink I got the sketches I posted a few pages back?) and Bob's your fathers brother.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Well now that's all settled down . . . Yes Nige I am a "bush mechanic" (he grins) and quite proud of it actually. I never went to school much and built my first dam with a Fowler crawler and a tumbling tommy scoop before I turned thirteen.

What I am getting around to saying is that I have seen and repaired a lot of cracks in various pieces of machinery.

Cracks matter if a machine is working hard in production (such as your rigs in full on mining) in other applications not so much. The old Kato I mentioned in my #93 post has been bleeding rust from boom cracks for years and as I said a patch up and watch job will see it out . . . any budget he has would be better spent on drive chains.

Angle dozer "C" frames are another good example. On some machines they crack around the curve and they'll work that way for years. As I said to the original poster who kicked off this discussion, I reckon his little digger could have maybe gone another season if he hadn't seen the cracks.

So in other words it's horses for courses . . . I think Oxbow summed it up nicely in the #97 post.

I'm spending too much time on the internet, I gotta head off now and burn a few GP's.

Cheers.

Last edited:

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
A friend named Michael had a 580K as do I. Another acquaintance Mark said to check around the loader arm pins, if there are any cracks, the area must be reinforced. I mentioned this to Michael and I checked mine. I saw the minutia of cracks as did he, we both poo poo'd the job....by bad luck in about a month, his broke and the loader arm was pretzeled just that quickly. I immediately pulled mine off, welded the cracks and plated the arm.
So I guess it depends on one's experience - in my view, cracks make me nervous and we keep the machines clean and eyeball them constantly.
An astute fix is much wiser over time.