• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crazy truck prices

Old Doug

I need and am kind of looking for another vehicle which i hate doing. I would like to have a pickup for 197? to 199? . I want a 2wd that makes it tuff and a plain cab even worse . I want to replace my 1997 Jeep liberty . Sometimes when it shifts into OD it bangs?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’m going to bounce this thread. This is old 2057. I remember her. “We” sent her to RB after using and abusing her on the Dalton Highway for many years. She was rode hard and put away wet. Surprised to see her in Illinois, of all places. Shocked at the asking price.

crane operator

So lets look at some more day cab prices- so what does under $40,000 buy?

2000 western star at 36,500- its a logging truck, so we know its been used.

2000 western star and trailer​

$36,500

sale or trade for cutting machine 2000 western star 2ws set at 550 cat 10 speed 3.90s chalmers with lockers homemade pole trailer
2000 western star.jpg

VS,

2013 mack, mp8 with under 300,000 miles.

2013 Mack ch 613​

$38,500

2013 Mack CH 613 Wet kit air ride MP8 10Spd Only 279000 miles nice truck

2013 mack.jpg2013 mack 2.jpg2013 mack 3.jpg

crane operator

Or a 2000 peterbilt?

2000 Piterbilt 378​

$35,000
Listed 3 weeks ago in Addison, IL

Seller's Description​

Well maintained, semi-truck with PTO. Caterpillar 3406E engine 475 HP. 947615 miles. Overhaul completed at 600,000 miles. New breaks in February 2024. Two differentials replaced in 2023. Everything works, including heating and cooling. Truck is ready to work. If needed, trailer is also available for sale.

2000 pete.jpg2000 pete 2.jpg2000 pete 3.jpg2000 pete 4.jpg

crane operator

While I like the big cats, I think if I was spending $40, I might take a chance on the Mack. Having under 300,000 miles vs. the western star or pete which are both probably million mile trucks, has a appeal to me.

Truck Shop

The Pete---complete overhaul?--still has original oil cooler & water pump, probably original turbo.
The Mack----on a lot all polished up with super low miles-- look at the acid burnt aluminum.
The Star----Oh you just know the drivers seat is as lumpy as bad gravy--original and pumped full
of pharts. If it weren't for the 10 speed it would have been a good truck.
The Pete is a loser--any owner that would put a image of a truck in the signage on the door
is a idiot--
That Mack the lot needs to say why it has low mileage, I expect chips in the paint.
The Star is the only one that looks the part.
Those are all east of the rockies trucks--which means rot, mold, fungus, and best of all rust
in the fasteners.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In frame, likely a Fast patch OH. More or less what I had planned for C15 in KW that went south quickly.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I get the Speed Wash acid cuts all goop, but to not ever take the time to shine the truck back up at least a Little Bit?? Shows a total lack of concern for the machines. That Pete has also lost a Fuel Tank strap so why not have replaced Both as the other will not be far behind the first? and NO tank steps on the Hydraulic Tank, still need to access Right side on occasion.

IceHole

I get the Speed Wash acid cuts all goop, but to not ever take the time to shine the truck back up at least a Little Bit?? Shows a total lack of concern for the machines. That Pete has also lost a Fuel Tank strap so why not have replaced Both as the other will not be far behind the first? and NO tank steps on the Hydraulic Tank, still need to access Right side on occasion.
Straps are all there.

Not polishing stuff isn't a lack of concern. I've run tons of trucks that were well kept but no one was spending hours and hours polishing stuff.
Polishing isn't making anyone money. It's clean, and looks well kept, that's good enough for most folks.