• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crunchy operator

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've said it before; operators are like peanut butter, they come in two flavors...smooth and crunchy. :tong

Had our old Cat 320B L on rent. When it came back, the manual thumb was destroyed. Near everything about it was bent. Cracked welds that had been rewelded. Basically transformed into scrap iron. And what did the customer have to say about it? You guessed it...it was delivered like that. :umno
Oh well, get the torch out and cut the thumb off, then cut the back plate off with a gouger. Some guys could tear up an iron ball with a rubber hammer. :yup

DSCN0003.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I've said it before; operators are like peanut butter, they come in two flavors...smooth and crunchy. :tong

Had our old Cat 320B L on rent. When it came back, the manual thumb was destroyed. Near everything about it was bent. Cracked welds that had been rewelded. Basically transformed into scrap iron. And what did the customer have to say about it? You guessed it...it was delivered like that. :umno
Oh well, get the torch out and cut the thumb off, then cut the back plate off with a gouger. Some guys could tear up an iron ball with a rubber hammer. :yup

View attachment 59235

View attachment 59236

I know a few rental places here that would send him a bill on damages.No machine leaves the yard with damage.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I know a few rental places here that would send him a bill on damages.No machine leaves the yard with damage.

Yep 2 stick, he had to pay for the thumb. It's just funny, though, that they say "it was like that", when it was a good thumb when it left here, and it was a bent up piece of scrap when it came back. Oh well, nice try. :tong

BTW, do you still drive 2 sticks?

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
im no genius, but how exactly to you tear a manual thumb up, i have done some serious work with a manual thumb and i really dont see how you can tear it up...must be a super duper crunchy bad motorscooter operartor to do that kind of damage
and what size bucket is on that 320, looks like a big'n

Lee-online

When we rent out equipment it gets digital pictures taken when it gets loaded. When it comes back damaged we can review the pics and show the customer it was not in that condition when it left.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
When we rent out equipment it gets digital pictures taken when it gets loaded. When it comes back damaged we can review the pics and show the customer it was not in that condition when it left.

Thats what i was thinking! Good idea!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
im no genius, but how exactly to you tear a manual thumb up, i have done some serious work with a manual thumb and i really dont see how you can tear it up...must be a super duper crunchy bad motorscooter operartor to do that kind of damage
and what size bucket is on that 320, looks like a big'n

It's got a 36" on it right now for doing brush clearing, or, would that be for destroying thumb. LoL. We're putting a 24" back on it for a customer that want's to rent it for digging trenches. And was for sure a super duper crunchy operator. :yup

So about that iron ball and rubber mallet, is it on the way boss?

Still trying to find an iron ball with Ziebart rust protection for you to use in Michigan Turbo, wouldn't won't the iron ball to rust from road salt before ya get it broke ya know. :tong

Over here the old saying is "to bend a crowbar in the bog" I've seen it done!

Hmmm, reckon Stock has ever done that? :bouncegri

gasfield315c

Occupation
only a 36? i thought it was a 48, looks bigger in the pic
we have had some of those operators at work before, you could put them in a 40 acre field without a tree for miles and they would put a limb through the windshield, throw 1 track off, and crack the bucket in 4 places

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
only a 36? i thought it was a 48, looks bigger in the pic
we have had some of those operators at work before, you could put them in a 40 acre field without a tree for miles and they would put a limb through the windshield, throw 1 track off, and crack the bucket in 4 places

LoL...and put a dent in the right rear door panel. :mad: :lmao

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Out here that operator could bust an anvil.

I've seen lots of other stuff break before the thumbs do out here. I had one operator try to feed a thumb into a Diamond Z. The thumb survived for the most part but the stick had a real big twist in it.

I actually liked fixing stuff like that. The more is cost the more the owner hated the operator and the easier it was to get paid. Since yours was a rental actually fixing the machine might be the easy part.

Good Luck!

gasfield315c

Occupation
i would get my money or satisfaction out of the guy one way or the other...
does the guy you rented the hoe to have any other equipment, if so, do any of the jacks or batteries fit anything you have, hey im sure you could use some of his fuel...hahaha, just some ideas. Dont listen to me i'll get you thrown in jail...lol:drinkup

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Actually it was pretty easy, they simply charged a new thumb to the customers credit card. Same if one comes back empty on fuel. Gotta hold that card number until the machine is checked back in, there's a lot of crunchy operators out there. I guess they figure, "it ain't my machine, so, I don't really care". Then their boss gets the credit card bill from us. Oh to be a fly on the wall. :tong

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Yep 2 stick, he had to pay for the thumb. It's just funny, though, that they say "it was like that", when it was a good thumb when it left here, and it was a bent up piece of scrap when it came back. Oh well, nice try. :tong
I worked for a company that returned a 325 Cat Hoe.$35,000 in damages and they had to pay it.One of their fine upstanding operators.

BTW, do you still drive 2 sticks?
Not in a long time.You don't see many of them any more.Make a truck pull a big load with ease though.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Not in a long time.You don't see many of them any more.Make a truck pull a big load with ease though.

You got that right.

This first "big truck" I drove had a 5 x 4 Fuller. Folks thing your crazy when you tell them you could drive them just as easy as a splitter tranny. But once you got the hang of it, they really weren't hard to operate. ;)

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
yep Atco I bent rod iron in a bog did ya...............

over

a lever pullers head .....

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
You got that right.

This first "big truck" I drove had a 5 x 4 Fuller. Folks thing your crazy when you tell them you could drive them just as easy as a splitter tranny. But once you got the hang of it, they really weren't hard to operate. ;)

You could shift with one hand or two.You could pull a hill better.And if you had a winch you had more speeds to run it.The good part you could put fancy shifter knobe on them.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
yep Atco I bent rod iron in a bog did ya...............

over

a lever pullers head .....

Oh...I see. Uh, wasn't Mule was it? :D

You could shift with one hand or two.You could pull a hill better.And if you had a winch you had more speeds to run it.The good part you could put fancy shifter knobe on them.

That's a yep on the fancy knobs. Went to work for a crane company in the mid 80's, one crane was a small Grove hydro on a Crane Carrier chassis. Yes, the small, single cab for the operator. Had a 5 x 3 in it. Problem was, the main stick was right beside you. The aux stick was behind, kinda behind the seat in an awkward position to operate. Both shift levers were very short, not good leverage for changing gears. Operators hated to drive that rig because the hog box stick was just goofy to operate, they all tried just driving the crane with the main tranny. The first time I drove the rig, I was like "pfffttttt, this is stupid!" Went to a nearby truckstop and purchased some goodies. Put a straight handle on the main stick, which increased it's length just a bit. On the aux stick, put a short chrome extension on it, then a chrome 45 degree elbow, then a chrome 6" extension, lastly another straight handle. Now the aux stick was oriented just a little behind but above the main stick. Totally changed how that thing operated. The other operators were amazed at how much better it was to operate now, and no one grumbled about having to drive it now. It was actually kinda fun. ;)