• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crunchy operator

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Oh...I see. Uh, wasn't Mule was it? :D

That's a yep on the fancy knobs. Went to work for a crane company in the mid 80's, one crane was a small Grove hydro on a Crane Carrier chassis. Yes, the small, single cab for the operator. Had a 5 x 3 in it. Problem was, the main stick was right beside you. The aux stick was behind, kinda behind the seat in an awkward position to operate. Both shift levers were very short, not good leverage for changing gears. Operators hated to drive that rig because the hog box stick was just goofy to operate, they all tried just driving the crane with the main tranny. The first time I drove the rig, I was like "pfffttttt, this is stupid!" Went to a nearby truckstop and purchased some goodies. Put a straight handle on the main stick, which increased it's length just a bit. On the aux stick, put a short chrome extension on it, then a chrome 45 degree elbow, then a chrome 6" extension, lastly another straight handle. Now the aux stick was oriented just a little behind but above the main stick. Totally changed how that thing operated. The other operators were amazed at how much better it was to operate now, and no one grumbled about having to drive it now. It was actually kinda fun. ;)

I drove a International like that.Friend bought it at a city auction.Hauled some tractors to an auction in it.Hate that truck.Shifters are set up like your talking about and in the main box the springs are gone.Got to be careful are you will be backing up.But he paid $2,000 and thinks it is better than a Peterbilt.

Acivil

I have also been on the other side of this story though... had an equipment co. send out a 330 w/ a brand new thumb on it (not gonna mention the brand) operator peeled the mounting plate off of the stick, which led to bending everything else on the thumb... all this while moving an 18"-24" tree with it... :eek: Equipment co. brought out another machine with another brand new thumb (same manufacturer) Same thing happened. Equipment co. brought out a third machine with a used Solsbee thumb... no problems for the rest of the job. Turns out the first thumb manufacturer had gotten a batch of crappy chinese steel for cheap... they tried to get me to pay for it at first, but eventually worked it out between the Equipment co. and the Thumb co.