• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins N14 STC Fuel Injection Pump throttle lever not moving much

Roadoil

For a simple check of moisture, remove the rocker covers and take a look. Engines like those even
if covered can sweat. I've seen plenty that have set out in the elements for a period of time that
the rockers, heads and so on have a coating of rust inside.

Yeah good idea need to take a peak inside valve covers. I'll remove one tomorrow morning.

Oil looked fresh didn't really realize the potential environmental problems till this sleeve sprung it's leak.

This unit has 1600 hrs total so low.

Roadoil

This one runs on an Ag machine. If you look past the harmonic balancer you can see the old one with the rod through the block. Company that made the machine said they cut them back to 1900 working RPM. Still gets the job done on these machines and the blocks last longer. This one would no load at 2500 RPM.

1900 RPM from motor is where these hydroblast pumps are designed to run.

The Company NLB that made this pump NLB sold out by Forest Shook who started it in the 70s in Michigan to Interpump in Italy around 2012 or so all the engineers quit and they now use Italian power ends Vs the Union USA made refinery power end on this machine. They are not refinery grade power ends the heart of the pump and having reliability issues I have heard.

NLB would use a Union power end back when Shook owned them and make their own Fluid ends using high tech sophisticated metal hardening processes to get to the high pressures and loads the past 20 years.

It's also crazy the price increases on all new equipment these pumps cost more than houses new lol.

But NLBs business model being Italian owned is forced obsolescence crazy prices on pump parts for this unit like $21,000 for 6 crankshaft main rod bearings.

Last edited:

Roadoil

So some surface rust on valve rockers but easily rubs off with my mix of diesel and used ATF4.

The motor lift plate bent back and in the way of last front valve cover bolt. Gotta take that off. Must have been in big hurry re installing engine at one point.

Shout out to the guy that thought painting the engines with 2 part thick epoxy paint was a great idea back in the day, makes it fun removing fasteners, they obviously didn't think or care about ease of service. You can tell most parts untouched on this motor as its original sensors, wiring, fuel lines with this thick globby paint

Attachments

• 5E44E3EF-0799-4CFE-9D4A-F78FBBAADA1D.jpeg
    5E44E3EF-0799-4CFE-9D4A-F78FBBAADA1D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • 47E74CAA-1971-4259-9F64-B07ABF0F546C.jpeg
    47E74CAA-1971-4259-9F64-B07ABF0F546C.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 8377489A-DC8B-494B-B665-C030EE3E2957.jpeg
    8377489A-DC8B-494B-B665-C030EE3E2957.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 2E60CA9E-5FAD-421F-A44D-6620A083739C.jpeg
    2E60CA9E-5FAD-421F-A44D-6620A083739C.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Roadoil

Motor lift plate.

Valves that were moveable had a decent amount of play need adjusting

Attachments

• 772F01CF-8295-4CCF-AF02-C3A30F049ECA.jpeg
    772F01CF-8295-4CCF-AF02-C3A30F049ECA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11

cfherrman

My N14 sat for at least 10 years and the front most rocket was rusted worse than yours but other than that it was fine. I never cleaned it off maybe I should pull the cover and clean it.

I pulled injectors and put 15-40 in the pistons, reinstalled the rockers without injectors and let it sit about a month (taking my time). My accessories were pretty stuck. It took way more than it should but I bar'd the engine over and rotated a few times. Then I put back the injectors and did a overhead.

Was quite smokey when I started it. I had to replace the alternator and the air compressor. Engine breakdowns are more expensive then parts for me so I didn't even try to fix those accessories.

I replaced all the belts, they are cheap too.

Roadoil

My N14 sat for at least 10 years and the front most rocket was rusted worse than yours but other than that it was fine. I never cleaned it off maybe I should pull the cover and clean it.

I pulled injectors and put 15-40 in the pistons, reinstalled the rockers without injectors and let it sit about a month (taking my time). My accessories were pretty stuck. It took way more than it should but I bar'd the engine over and rotated a few times. Then I put back the injectors and did a overhead.

Was quite smokey when I started it. I had to replace the alternator and the air compressor. Engine breakdowns are more expensive then parts for me so I didn't even try to fix those accessories.

I replaced all the belts, they are cheap too.

Yeah rust came off easy was just surface.

I gotta take the rockers apart anyway to remove the rocker boxes and replace the rusted out coolant tubes so will hit them with my wire brush on bench grinder to get them spotless.

I bought another hydroblast pump 5 years ago at auction that's a 350 HP had a Cummins 855 the exhaust was rusted so water got into cylinders was totally locked up which I didn't know before buying.

I took injectors out filled cylinders with marvel mystery oil and after maybe 2 months gently trying to turn over motor it started turning and spins freely now.

Have not tried to start it and it's sat since too many other priorities and it probably needs new rings sleeves.

But have it for the hydroblasting pump in case I need it for parts etc