• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D 10 T

Eric

what do you guys think of the "T" model? Personally I love it, I wish it had a U blade though.

Attachments

• d10t cab (Small).jpg
    d10t cab (Small).jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,965
  • d 10 t (Small).jpg
    d 10 t (Small).jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,980
  • d 10 t cabb (Small).jpg
    d 10 t cabb (Small).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,981

Gavin84w

Eric, we had the first 2 D10T (RJG138 & 139) in Australia back in early 2005 on a site i was looking after and as a big twin stack fan of the original D10 i feel this is the closest yet to the original, when you load them up and here the turbo whistle it was like an old 84W twin stack i thought, the T has a sweet note.

On the other side of the coin they did have there problems, mainly related to the C-27 and not so much the rest of the tractor, but i see the latest ones have serial numbers over 1000 now so if they have sold that many well it can not be to much of a lemon. In fact just heard that a big order for 50 each D11T & D10T have been placed to go to Dubai so this will make getting a big tractor even harder.

Always nice pics from your site and looks like Cat is the only thing around there, which mine are you at and who is the Cat dealer.

Eric

I'm at Tyrone mine, Freeport company. Cat dealer is Wagner. We have 3 Komatsu dozers also. A 475 and 2 375's however one of those is headed for the scrap pile. Hopefully the other 375 will be right behind it!!!

Gavin84w

Is there a big Cat dealer presence on site, i would imagine a lot of warranty with all the new stuff plus general load of repair work, how many 5230 do you have.Can you get some shots of the maintenance facilities.

Eric

Cat has a crew of mechanics on site. I'll get some pics of the shop when i can. We have one 5230, it's kinda old and is primarily run as a back up.

ozscooper

what id give to have that for a day or two, they just got one in the coal mine my old mans in and does he brag about it. he is a bit concerned about the coal dust and the electrics. anyone else ran them in coal? had any problems?

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
d 10t

looks sweet but that fingertip steering sucks

alco

I'm at Tyrone mine, Freeport company. Cat dealer is Wagner. We have 3 Komatsu dozers also. A 475 and 2 375's however one of those is headed for the scrap pile. Hopefully the other 375 will be right behind it!!!

I hear you on that! Our 375 keeps limping it's way back and forth to the shop, just won't out and out die, but won't stay running either. Our 475 got hauled away the other day....common feelings are that we all seem to hope it isn't coming back.

Brian

Northart

Finger Tip Steer

Hello Gball,

Finally found someone that agrees with me. :) Finger tip steer is actually a clutch and brake system, like the levers in the front console or side console .

Made for women and kids unable to handle the work requirements ! :mad:Just like the retrograde of the 45cal to 9 mm, ala Military ! :mad: A political correctedness gone too far. Caterpillar screwed up BIG time on that one ! :(

A BIG D10 that a kid or women of the weaker sex can control ???? Huh ! Let's get real ! Carpal Tunnel Syndrone ?? If secretarys, computer people, etc, acquire it . Repetitive motion, ala OSHA , how stupid can industry appear . Like they are inviting lawsuits down the road ! :beatsme

Next thing you know, it's video games by kids building America via remote control ! LOL :usa:beatsme

How far are they ( Industry ) going to reduce physical activity to Operate Heavy Equipment ???

Given the electronic age : The prime Operating Engineer Heavy Equipment age will become much like Military Pilots. A given factor. SSOOOOoooooo! ????????????

Operating will be more so mental in the future, than physical in our time.

The clutch and brake system was fine for me, give the other muscles a chance to work . Console levers and floor brakes. :)

What Caterpillar needs to do is study us Old Timers , for the musculoskeloton problems associated with a lifetime of equipment Operating. The linkage between the throttle and the seat ! :)

This is opening ???? way beyond , normalcy ???

biggixxerjim

Hello Gball,

Finally found someone that agrees with me. :) Finger tip steer is actually a clutch and brake system, like the levers in the front console or side console .

Made for women and kids unable to handle the work requirements ! :mad:Just like the retrograde of the 45cal to 9 mm, ala Military ! :mad: A political correctedness gone too far. Caterpillar screwed up BIG time on that one ! :(

A BIG D10 that a kid or women of the weaker sex can control ???? Huh ! Let's get real ! Carpal Tunnel Syndrone ?? If secretarys, computer people, etc, acquire it . Repetitive motion, ala OSHA , how stupid can industry appear . Like they are inviting lawsuits down the road ! :beatsme

Next thing you know, it's video games by kids building America via remote control ! LOL :usa:beatsme

How far are they ( Industry ) going to reduce physical activity to Operate Heavy Equipment ???

Given the electronic age : The prime Operating Engineer Heavy Equipment age will become much like Military Pilots. A given factor. SSOOOOoooooo! ????????????

The clutch and brake system was fine for me, give the other muscles a chance to work . Console levers and floor brakes. :)

What Caterpillar needs to do is study us Old Timers , for the musculoskeloton problems associated with a lifetime of equipment Operating. The linkage between the throttle and the seat ! :)

This is opening ???? way beyond , normalcy ???

Rant, anyone??:rolleyes:

I am a youngster, and at 230 lbs, I have plenty of weight in the ass to pull the original mechanical diff levers. But who would want to?? Ive run machines with the finger steer and while it does take a few hours to get used to it, it is a far superior design, much more comfortable to use.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator

The less fatigue a operator has the more production your going to have. I'm lazy that is why I'm an operator, but if you want physical activity go back to being a laborer. As for the old timers yes I would love to be deaf with rheumatoid arthritis by the time I'm in my mid 50s.

Eric

What the heck was that all about. If you want a work out go run a cable dozer! I love finger tip steering for MOST applications. Dosn't do to well when you are going down a 1:1 or extremely steep applications. But it is still acceptable even then, you just have to be careful. I run this dozer 12 to 16 hours a day and feel great when I'm done. The N models are abou an 8 hour machine at BEST before I'm ready to park it and go home.
On the bright side, if more folks held your opinion it would free up new machines for the rest of us who arn't afraid of technology and the 21st century.:drinkup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
...yes I would love to be deaf with rheumatoid arthritis by the time I'm in my mid 50s.

SPEAK UP, SONNY. I'M HAVIN A HARD TIME HEARING YOU. ;)

(And BTW, it's "Osteoarthritis" that you get from too much wear and tear on your joints, like from working for a living. Rheumatoid arthritis is a disaease of the body's own immune system attcking the joints.)

Northart said:

I'm betting some of the younger fellows will see the day they lose thier seats altogether, in favor of total automation. The "mental" part will be done by computer geeks.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
another +1 for the fingertip steering here, i like it alot.so all the people who dont like the easier steering, did you protest when you couldnt go to the front of your car to handcrank the starter for your morning workout?

Mass-X

On the smaller finish grade dozers, D6's, D8's and the like, I definitely prefer differential steering. On the D10's and D11's for production dozing, it's kind of a moot point. Steering while pushing should be done with your blade, not the clutches, so I don't really have a preference between the two on the D10 and D11's.

Like Eric said, it's hard to be comfortable on a dozer on a steep slope with finger tip steer in contrast to differential. Everytime I've seen a D6 or D8 with finger tip steering it seems like a waste to me.

Eric: "what do you guys think of the "T" model?"

Despite some minor electrical problems with the earlier production models, I'm really impressed with the T's. I love the R series dozers, especially RII's, but CAT has impressed me with the improvements on the T series.

Any machine that rolls off the production line hard wired and ready for GPS is good in my book. :drinkup

Eric, or any other operators, do you have any seat time in a D10R or D10RII? In your opinion how do they compare to the D10T's?

I'd like to hear some opinions from operators regarding their preferences of the D10R/D11R and RII's versus the new D10T/D11T? Anyone have seat time in both? I'd like to hear what other operators think.

Gavin84w: "just heard that a big order for 50 each D11T & D10T have been placed to go to Dubai"

Do you know who/what contractor placed the order for those machines? Or is it a dealer order going to Saudi Arabia?

Rockbreaker

Finger tip

Hey Eric.

Found your dozer and it looks great under a the dust:cool2
I have run a d10r model and i loved the finger tip steering.
And thank god that the old way to ride dozer has improved. I for one love the new Cat dozers and cant stop smiling when i get to operate one:roll

jimmyjack

the D10's we were using had finger tip steering, it wasn't that bad. i'm i the only one who thinks that track is WAY to loose:eek:

Eric

I have spent a couple hundred hours in the 10 R. I thought it was a beast too. Once again the finger tip steering and the multi function joystick along with the extra padding along the area of the right knee are great for operator comfort. Oh yeeah you can keep the old seats from the N and L model too, the air ride seat in the T is tops. R model seats are great too.
As far as performance, I ran a R model with a derated engine (single exhaust) and it was about like the N. Now the R with the uprated motor was a horse. I love everything about that machine. In my opinion the T just takes evrything to the next level. The cab is way bigger with more visibility, all the operator comforts are tops too. 12 volt plug in, Air ride seat, CD, on and on.....
As far as 11 T's and R's I have yet to run one. I did run a D 11 N that may have been a cross over. It had basically an R model cab with steering clutches rather than tip controls. That too was a horse. I am a Caterpillar homer so I have been thrilled with every new piece of their stuff that comes out.