• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D 10 T

Mass-X

When pushing, instead of cranking hard on the steering (whatever type it is) to try to turn, which is hard on the machine, lower the corner of the blade in the direction you want to turn.

For example, if bulk pushing, and you need to adjust your alignment a little to the right, lower the right side of the blade, which will cause that corner bit to dig in a little deeper. That will steer the machine to the right.

To turn sharper, if you're cutting out of a big windrow (between two slots, around a boulder) you can lower one side of the blade and raise the other to line out straight in the direction you want to go. This will lower the weight on one side, and increase the resistance on the other to turn the machine sharper.

alco

Everytime I've seen a D6 or D8 with finger tip steering it seems like a waste to me.

While I know what you are saying, we have an application where the differential steering is bloody near useless. We need the fingertip controls, but they don't make them anymore for the D7R. With the differential steering on our D7Rs, you can't stab pipe on without major hassles. They don't like to turn and lift or lower the blade at the same time....especially if the hyd cooling fans come on while you are trying to do it.

Brian

992G

From what a Cat instructor told me in a class was that the first ones had one big problem, they were catching on fire due to the way some wires were ran under the cab. Other than that, they were holding up good.

16H

I have run 10 rs and ts and think both are great dozers I think that the new 10t could do with a bit more wieght to get the power to the ground when you have a big blade full they tend to sit and spin still a good dozers to do 12 hrs in

N.CarolinaDozer

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I have been running a D6T on a road job we have now. It runs great, but i noticed the controls are different between that 10 and my 6. I have pic of my 6, but I have trouble posting my pics. Nice D10 though!

Neil D

Occupation
contractor
finger tip steering

I have only had a brief run in Cat D6R with finger tip steering, a Fiat Hitachi D180,Komatsu D65PX and a Liebherr 734.

The fiat was the worst heap of junk I ever drove-I would shoot myself before driving one of these for the day,the levers were too small and after ten minutes I could feel my arm muscles and tendons tightening up.

The Cat is ok, nothing special but both the Liebherr and the Komatsu are spot on with decent levers to hold on to-not too big and not too small the proper way to go!

Its a pity the donkeys that run Cat's R&D could've consulted the guys who drive them before they brought out all this fiddly dee stuff!

Neil

OilFieldHand

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Finger tip controls are a PITA, of course I have been on snow and ice for the past 3 months. I agree, use your blade to steer.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
My 6r has fingertip control and I love it. Probally prefer it over the dif steer. I do wish at times I had power to both set of tracks though, but I also steer with the blade when I can.

BigIron25

I sure hope us young operators dont see the time of automated operation! I will be out of a job and hobby and some old timers will be out of a pension!!!!!