• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D10 getting some serious work.

flashpuppy

Someone messed up. The machine lost it's rear idler and the operators kept on'a'runnin' it. Took out the major bogey. Had to pop the whole track frame off.

Attachments

• 0728090443a.jpg
    0728090443a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,330
Last edited by a moderator:

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
What!? Do you have details on how this happened? I can't imagine the forces necessary to kill a rear idler.

wingnut

Occupation
owner of a small sand gravel backhoe and dozer ser
How can the opperator not know that somethings not right here , He should have had a look and see if something was wrong :beatsme

Last edited:

Motat

Occupation
Contracting /Building
The answer is simple
It was certainly not an ''operator'' but a ''steerer''
Someone i wouldnt let push my wheelbarrow .
Regards

flashpuppy

An important thing for you guys to know is that I work for a private contractor. We hold the contract for the local utility provider and service all the equipment at the coal power plants. These guys just don't care about the equipment. They have a real strong union and will not be fired for something like this. They just don't care....

Apparently the operator said that he heard some "strange noises". I got out there, took a quick look, saw that the track was sagged all out and the rear idler was bound up and drove er back to the shop. I figured at this point, what's the difference? That noise was hellacious.

flashpuppy

Here are some more pics of the jacked bogey. Note that these are AFTER the removable liner was dislodged. All that is disfigured casting.

That last shot is what I happened to pull out of the suction screen (trans) of the same dozer..... Looks like the fun isn't over yet. At least it's already on blocks.

Attachments

• 0810090452.jpg
    0810090452.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • 0810090452a.jpg
    0810090452a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,538
  • 0810091029.jpg
    0810091029.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,760
Last edited:

dirtpusher9

Occupation
blademan
An important thing for you guys to know is that I work for a private contractor. We hold the contract for the local utility provider and service all the equipment at the coal power plants. These guys just don't care about the equipment. They have a real strong union and will not be fired for something like this. They just don't care....

Apparently the operator said that he heard some "strange noises". I got out there, took a quick look, saw that the track was sagged all out and the rear idler was bound up and drove er back to the shop. I figured at this point, what's the difference? That noise was hellacious.

Union or not this guy should have his butt whiped and fired for that.

There are to many people out of work to have someone like that employed.

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Union or not, there's no excuse. Out here, I feel like abusing equipment as a union operator would get you fired FASTER than being non-union, you can be replaced with a single phone call.

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Definitely a case for "go ahead punk make my day"

tippatone

Occupation
Future heavy equipment operator
WOW thats ugly, send it to Chris91786, he's got a thread where he has brought worst than that back to showroom condition.

sidry

Occupation
PhD-student fluid dynamics (graduate in 3 weeks)
Given the sustained damage and the no. of hours that the machine has clocked: is it still worth fixing the machine?

tippatone

Occupation
Given the sustained damage and the no. of hours that the machine has clocked: is it still worth fixing the machine?

You have a point there....how much you think it will cost to fix 10-15 grand?

flashpuppy

Well, Last number I heard was around 10k. Recon'd parts and labor. It has about 20k hours, but was overhauled not THAT long ago. Not fixing it really isn't a financial option right now. We pretty much run'em till they won't can't run anymore. I have a locomotive that is still in operation at one of the yards from the 1940's......

tippatone

Occupation
What the hell is that stuff you pulled out? The last pic on the first page.